• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Pro RMK - Check Engine light comes on near end of day & limp mode??!!

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Back ground - sled has SLP pipe/can from day one and never any similar issues - 2,800 miles on sled! Last 3 days riding otw back from the hills on the groomed trail the Check Engine light in the top left corner comes on as well as the check engine light in the bottom right (has the number 1 on it). Goes in limp mode and will reset when sled is shut off and restarted but comes on again shortly. Each day sled worked flawless through the day and only happened otw back - speed was around 40-45 mph off and on. Just wondering is it fuel related? Each time was around or less than 1/4 tank gas left. Running supreme (91+) gas from same station I always use plus I always run some Lucas Octane Booster. Any ideas greatly appreciated before heading towards dealer! Thanks

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Back ground - sled has SLP pipe/can from day one and never any similar issues - 2,800 miles on sled! Last 3 days riding otw back from the hills on the groomed trail the Check Engine light in the top left corner comes on as well as the check engine light in the bottom right (has the number 1 on it). Goes in limp mode and will reset when sled is shut off and restarted but comes on again shortly. Each day sled worked flawless through the day and only happened otw back - speed was around 40-45 mph off and on. Just wondering is it fuel related? Each time was around or less than 1/4 tank gas left. Running supreme (91+) gas from same station I always use plus I always run some Lucas Octane Booster. Any ideas greatly appreciated before heading towards dealer! Thanks

Are you using the slp egt resistor? (They fail often)

An overev on the trail can give a hard det limp result.

Are you running eth mode?

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Thanks for the response! Pretty sure I'm not running the slp egt resistor.
Not certain but I wouldn't have thought I was running the sled hard enough to cause an over rev - could be wrong but run like that alot before and it never happened.
Running 91 non-ethanol mode (always been in that mode).

Sorry for posting this twice LOL - would't let me remove it!

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Are you using the slp egt resistor? (They fail often)

An overev on the trail can give a hard det limp result.

Are you running eth mode?

Not certain but I wouldn't have thought I was running the sled hard enough to cause an over rev - could be wrong but run like that alot before and it never happened.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Did you check the actual code?

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
No it didn't occur to me at the moment - thought I could check once I got back - i didn't realize I had to check it when it was happening (I assume this is accurate?).

I was able to pull a code from my sled ( I have the the PIDD) the only code showing is P0128 Engine Temp Sensor - Temperature Too Low.

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
I have had an egt sensor intermittently go bad.

Replace it and it went away.

Thanks for that info! So the EGT is the Exhaust Temp Sensor correct?
Also Is the Engine Temp sensor the same as the Thermistor Sensor? When I look it up on the parts fiche it shows it as a Thermistor Sensor but when I look under that number on the list it says water temp sensor. Just trying to cover all basis?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks for that info! So the EGT is the Exhaust Temp Sensor correct?
Also Is the Engine Temp sensor the same as the Thermistor Sensor? When I look it up on the parts fiche it shows it as a Thermistor Sensor but when I look under that number on the list it says water temp sensor. Just trying to cover all basis?

Exhaust gas temp sensor.

Usually throws a code to match though.

Could be a short in the wiring harness.

J
Feb 15, 2012
Not to bring this back from the dead but I have the same issue in that I get a CEL and limp mode as soon as I rev the sled high enough to open the power valves. The sled seems to run fine otherwise and I have the same code on the dash. 110/17

I don't want to go around changing sensors that don't need to be replaced.

Premium Features