• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Axys 800 lower the temp

SDRec

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2018
Axys runs hot on trail. I have read some of the posts regarding options to bring down the temp on 17 800 Axys. The ones I found involve changing head. Friend told me I could just drill thermostat. I have not found any info on this. Is there an option to just change the thermostat or possibly drilling original thermostat to get temp down? Thanks for help.

SDRec

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2018
Thank you for the response. So far the head swap option is also what I have found, was hoping the thermostat only change or somehow making OEM therm more efficient. I will also take a look at cooler you are using.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Did you do a search, this issue is a known issue and has lots of answers in snowest and other forums. In fact this question was asked like yesterday...
https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/2018-rmk-pro-600-155”.454874/
Are you running scratchers? That is a must - run them all the time on trails on the Axys rmk. You can also buy better scratchers like the ice storm scratchers which are a little safer in case you forget and reverse with them down. Just put them on my Axys and they throw a LOT more stuff up into the skid.

Mtntk cooler is an "ultimate" solution but a lot more work. And you still need to run scratchers to keep the hyfax lubricated.

Last edited:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I also read where a head swap to a 2018+ head / thermostate will bring temps down too low as the ECU for 17 and older will not run the fuel mixture correctly as it is programmed for higher normal operating temp... here on snowest... search it out and you can find that thread too, may end up with more problems than you started with... scratchers upgrade and/or mtntk cooler if that is not good enough are the way to go IMHO. I have to say those ice storm scratchers were impressive riding hard trails last Thurs, saw my temps come down steadily until settled into the 120's, 11 miles of trail ride in...

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Ice storm ftw.

Can pre bend the stockers for more ground pressure also.

I prefer to ride good snow ?
Good snow is not always an option, at least on the way in and out, after the 11 miles of trail was powder and cornices and so much fun to be had...

And yes, first ride with them and I was impressed with the ice storm scratchers. Any bending on the stock ones seems to weaken them and eventually they break. My sled had Sta-cool scratchers on it so the former owner must have broken the stockers already. Have to admit I backed up with them once and had to straighten one of them out... never straighten them out completely as that does seem to cause almost immediate failure LOL...

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY
The ski-doo two coil scratches work the best. I had to grind the side on one nut to get them on but no drilling and i'm not looking back. The 18 head/thermostat change was a big improvement. I had a 16 that ran 124f most all the time and my 20 with the changes runs at 97f most of the time.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
The ski-doo two coil scratches work the best. I had to grind the side on one nut to get them on but no drilling and i'm not looking back. The 18 head/thermostat change was a big improvement. I had a 16 that ran 124f most all the time and my 20 with the changes runs at 97f most of the time.
I think the 20 head is a great option for the 20. Not for the 16 and 17, as the ecu is programmed to allow running the lower temp from what I understand, I read some guys who just did the newer head setup (with thermostat) on a 17 ended up with runability problems. 124F all the time is no big deal, it is normal, butwhen it starts heading up the chart (145+) when it starts getting to be a big problem... and ecu starts throwing fuel at it at some point and/or changing timing... climbing temps with scratchers down and you end up stopping and cooling off.
Riding with a 2019 Skidoo G4 850 with his coil scratchers down, he was hitting 150s and with my ice storms I was sitting at 124-126 continuously, 17 Axys with SLP pipe. I don't think the coil scratchers throw as much snow, at least on a G4 165x3 track sled... I don't know if that is normal temp for a Doo.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I run especially in ths time of year- 145 all the time and hit 175 before I look for cool down.. Light flases at 185 ish... ask me how I know..
Zero issues -just keep everything in check..and yes this is with scratchers down.. 2016 turbo.. Never went to limp mode....

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I run especially in ths time of year- 145 all the time and hit 175 before I look for cool down.. Light flases at 185 ish... ask me how I know..
Zero issues -just keep everything in check..and yes this is with scratchers down.. 2016 turbo.. Never went to limp mode....
They aren't "magic" but have you ever tried the ice storm scratchers? They do seem to throw more into the skid area than stockers do. More tension, and teh way the tip is designed, seems to really help for me so far... like 3 weeks ago I saw 190 in what I thought was soft snow on hard but scratchers were up and it just was not cooling but I was climbing a razorback ridge and hadn't had time to check the gauge. I am still probably going to put in my 3 foot mtntk cooler...

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I've ran multiple types of scratchers and the best ones and most durable ones have been the ski doo coil spring scratchers. If mounted in the right place on the axys skid they throw a ton of snow in the skid. I've had a few riding buddies switch to them after seeing ho well they work.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
The thing I hated the most about mine was constantly watching the temp. The Axys and Pro chassis run hot. The MTNTK cooler is the best fix. Put it on my 16. Still today it has less temperature spikes than my 2020 850.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
The thing I hated the most about mine was constantly watching the temp. The Axys and Pro chassis run hot. The MTNTK cooler is the best fix. Put it on my 16. Still today it has less temperature spikes than my 2020 850.
That's why I went with a snow checked sks. Pretty much the same as a axys pro but it has a front cooler.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I've ran multiple types of scratchers and the best ones and most durable ones have been the ski doo coil spring scratchers. If mounted in the right place on the axys skid they throw a ton of snow in the skid. I've had a few riding buddies switch to them after seeing ho well they work.
Can you post up a pic of them mounted in the right place? I am not opposed to running 2 sets of scratchers either LOL... back in the day I ran a set on my skis...

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Sweet; you ever hang them up, such as when loading? Not super familiar with the Skidoo ones so I don't know if they have their own brackets or anything. The ice storms do but it was a little hinky using the OEM holes to mount them...

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Sweet; you ever hang them up, such as when loading? Not super familiar with the Skidoo ones so I don't know if they have their own brackets or anything. The ice storms do but it was a little hinky using the OEM holes to mount them...
they do have brackets but I did not install them. when they where new I cold hook them to the rail like you can on the standard style scratchers but now that they're wore down they don't hook any more so I just leave them down.

Premium Features