• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Timbersled ST on KTM 300XC-W

K
Nov 3, 2020
Hi, long time dirt biker here, trying to get into snow riding. Sorry if this is a really basic question, but I was unable to find what I wanted by searching. I have a KTM 300XC-W, and I am looking to pick up a timbersled kit for it. There is a 2016 Timbersled short track kit for sale locally with the TSS fit kit for my bike. The kit is in nearly new condition. From the research I have done, the TSS kit is the one I think I want, as it is more "dirt bike-y" than the rigid kit.

I have been told that some of the older timbersled kits are not very desirable due to the shape of the track, but I am not sure what the cutoff is for when the design changed. I was also told the older kits rob more power from the bike, which is definitely a consideration, because I would be putting it on a 300 2t, not a 450. Should I jump on this, or hold out for something newer? The seller says it is a "2016 Timbersled ST" model, which based on the timbersled site seems to be the last year of the "Mountain Horse" designation. Thanks!

D
Feb 16, 2009
I have ran an 2008 300xcw and 2016 st kit solid strut for two seasons. I’m sure a ARO or Riot kit would be better, but it still super fun and a very capable kit. I go everywhere brand new kits and bike go. 2016 was the first year of the 2.5” track and 2017 was the last year of the Moutain Horse.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
15 MH had a square track. 16,17 MH are basically the same kits with 2.5 convex track. 18 newer ARO are the same with skinny 2.5 convex track. TSS smooths out the ride and i feel like it takes some "snap" out. I sold mine and like the feel of the fixed strut. another downside to the TSS is you will have to cut your airbox out if its on a MH.

Premium Features