• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 screen out, engine light, top end bog

AJPRORMK

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2012
Hey all,

Got a 2016 Axys pro. Thing has run flawless the last 3 years. Had it out last month and it bogged like crazy coming out of a creek bottom, simultaneously threw the check engine light and flashed “play back” next to it... couple seconds later the screen went black and hasn’t come on since. The sled ran noticeably louder the rest of the day and had terrible top end power in the power band.

Put it next to another stock 2016 and it’s identical on the bottom end, hits the power band and they aren’t even close. Can’t tell what RPM it’s at bc the screen is out.

Current thought is something electrical considering the screen is out, but it running louder and not having top end power says maybe something exhaust valve related?

Any ideas, thoughts or comments? Beers on me...

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
One of the 3 relays was bad on both my sleds and would cause the screen to be out. Upon replacing the relays it has been fine. Don't recall which relay, maybe try swapping them around and see if the screen lights up.

AJPRORMK

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2012
One of the 3 relays was bad on both my sleds and would cause the screen to be out. Upon replacing the relays it has been fine. Don't recall which relay, maybe try swapping them around and see if the screen lights up.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. Any clue if a bad relay cause bad top end performance and it being noticeably louder, as well?

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Thanks, I’ll give it a try. Any clue if a bad relay cause bad top end performance and it being noticeably louder, as well?

Sounds like one or more of the three relays. Two are located near the EGT plug and the other is in the nylon bag above the primary. If I were you I'd replace all 3 and see how it runs. I'd put money on that fixing all your issues :)

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Sounds relay related. If the relay isn't working properly, the exhaust valve will not open all the way. That will cause loss of Top end power for sure. As for the sound, it could also cause it to sound different? As for being louder, I'm not sure.

Sometimes the relays fail, others the pins are just corroded and can be cleaned. I replaced my stock relays with panasonic brand made in japan compared to the stock songchuan chinese type relays which MANY people have had issues with.

However, most of the problem with the failure is the corrosion. (poor design job in sealing these up). Good luck

N
Aug 27, 2012
Bend, OR
I second using the panasonic relays and moving them as far away from the pipe as possible. The problem with them is moisture condensing on the inside of the housing and causing rust, so the further from the heat source the less condensation.
CM1-R-12V Panasonic

Ian

Last edited:

AJPRORMK

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2012
I second using the panasonic relays and moving them as far away from the pipe as possible. The problem with them is moisture condensing on the inside of the housing and causing rust, so the further from the heat source the less condensation.
CM1-R-12V Panasonic

Ian

Thanks all! Relay was the issue. Now who gets the beer?

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012

same thing happened to me..it's your relay that manages the exhaust valves.

Premium Features