• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 RMK 800 DET Error; tried everything

P
Jan 3, 2019
I bought this sled about 4 years ago and have only put about 50 miles on it. First, a bearing went in the engine after about 2 miles. It was under warranty, so they replaced the bearing and rebuilt the top end. Since then, I took it out for one trip 3 winters ago. After that trip, the next time I took it out, I got a DET error. I've had it in 2 shops (one bing a Polaris dealer) over the last 3 years. I've had the TPS replaced and adjusted, the fuel pump replaced, the DET sensor replaced, the can remounted, injectors cleaned and tested, knock sensor checked, ECU swapped out, fuel swapped out, compression checked....; I'm probably missing something. At this point, the sled is still pulling a DET code and going into limp mode after it warms up. With the DET sensor unconnected, the sled runs as it should. The shop is saying that I should be fine running the sled with the DET sensor unconnected. I'm at a loss at this point of what I should do. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Check your spark plug torque..
My 2012 would though a DET code if the plugs were torqued more than 20 ftlbs..
As long as it was 18-20 ftlbs was fine..

P
Jan 3, 2019
Check your spark plug torque..
My 2012 would though a DET code if the plugs were torqued more than 20 ftlbs..
As long as it was 18-20 ftlbs was fine..
Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue. I had a friend mention maybe heavier clutch weights. Any thoughts on this? Also, if it is running well with the DET sensor bypassed, do you think there would be a problem running it like that?

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Make sure your pipe isnt vibrating on the frame some where. That resonating of a part can trigger it too

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Check pipe as mentioned. Are you running the stock head or an aftermarket ? Be sure the knock sensor is bone dry on its mounting surface and has to be torqued to spec @ 19 Nm.
These models are a tight spot to torque, as the sensor is on the back side of the head and bolted from underneath. Usually pulled the head off to make sure it was torqued properly. Is typically ran at a 45 deg angle towards driven clutch. Hard to imagine the dealership couldn't figure it out.
Always good to have the DET sensor working and plugged in, as it will save you money in the long run lol. They always run the best right before they blow up.
You could ohm out the wiring from the ECU to DET plug to eliminate wiring or contact issue.

ECU 26 pin connector (smaller of the 2 connector) Pin 9 - Det Sensor Ground (blk/wht wire)
Pin 25 - Det Sensor Signal (Purple wire)

Last edited:

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue. I had a friend mention maybe heavier clutch weights. Any thoughts on this? Also, if it is running well with the DET sensor bypassed, do you think there would be a problem running it like that?
Heavier weights may help; especially if its over-reving… You can try adding 2 gram heavier weights; it will drop your rpms a little bit though.

P
Jan 3, 2019
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm not sure if the head is stock or aftermarket. I'm new to the sled world. I bought it from a friend. I'll hit him up about that. Also, it seems as though the shop did all of the checks mentioned, but maybe I need to get on it myself.....

Premium Features