• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016-2017 Island Park / West Yellowstone SNOW REPORT

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
If everything goes well we should be in IP early Monday night.
Where should we shop for groceries? West Yellowstone? Island Park?

Robins roost has groceries just as you come into town they also sell idaho and Montana stickers. or you can run down to ashton. There's also west but I haven't been in there for a few years.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
A couple of things to keep in mind if your heading this way:
The Flu's going around this area real bad, I got it on Xmas Day and it still wont let go. grab your med. before you head up here, cause the pickins are pretty slim at the local store.
The Sheriff has extra units up here this season, they seem to be patrolling pretty heavily on Yale Kilgore from US 20 to Keg Springs.
It's gonna be below zero, for most/all of next week. Happiness is a block heater..

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
A couple of things to keep in mind if your heading this way:
The Flu's going around this area real bad, I got it on Xmas Day and it still wont let go. grab your med. before you head up here, cause the pickins are pretty slim at the local store.
The Sheriff has extra units up here this season, they seem to be patrolling pretty heavily on Yale Kilgore from US 20 to Keg Springs.
It's gonna be below zero, for most/all of next week. Happiness is a block heater..
Hey, thanks! I hope you feel better!! Yeah, we are kinda bummed about the cold even though we are very familiar with it. It's just nice to take off your helmet, gloves etc. to take pictures, video, or have a snack without freezing to death. :face-icon-small-coo
Sheriff won't be an issue. We do want to stop and have pizza or a burger in West but we do behave ourselves. After all we do represent all snowmobilers. If we get a bite to eat we normally stay out quite late, maybe 6:00 or 6:30. :face-icon-small-hap We have a hot tub, grill, two sat TV's so we get pretty lazy at night.
I sent you a PM. If we can hook up, great! Take care and Happy New Year!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
B cheeper to get stuff B4 getting there
Yes, we are bringing some things but too not much. It was nice to hook up with you and your grandson at Outback last spring. Getting up early tomorrow morning to drive to Bozeman. 1000 miles, 15 hours with good weather. Good weather never really happens. :face-icon-small-ton

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Yes, we are bringing some things but too not much. It was nice to hook up with you and your grandson at Outback last spring. Getting up early tomorrow morning to drive to Bozeman. 1000 miles, 15 hours with good weather. Good weather never really happens. :face-icon-small-ton

I90 west was still iced over when we went through today (31st) after billings mt. Cars, trucks and semi trucks where in the ditch and 1 was over turned. I90 was closed at laurel so had to detour through the city there's still icy spots on 94. We had great snow while we where out there. Talk to a few people and the lions head area was pretty track up. Lots of sleds heading to ip/west yellowstone as we where leaving. Safe travels and have a great trip.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Anyone ride Big Sky or Carrot Basin? We're just west of Fargo now. Roads are dry. 80 mph. Gas $2.04.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Rode teepee on Fri and was gonna hit buck yesterday on way out. Couldnt get into either parking lot. Was a zoo. Upper Teepee needs more snow. Was tapping bottom, rocks, and trees quite often. Still found good snow but needs more base imo. Last year on Dec 15 there was more snow in teepee than the end of this year. South of West is were there is quite a bit more snow.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Spent all day yesterday on Jefferson.
All the "exposed" snow out in the open was pretty well set.
Still no base to speak of, and the only fluff to be found was in the trees.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Spent all day yesterday on Jefferson.
All the "exposed" snow out in the open was pretty well set.
Still no base to speak of, and the only fluff to be found was in the trees.

f5101463e1e0032ef5a51ea00c21f3cc.jpg

Black Canyon on Monday. Plenty of snow and Christopher is correct, no base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Snow Report for 12/9 Currently it's about 32 degrees fairly calm, with a mix of light rain and snow. It's changing from moment to moment. We picked up a little over eight inches last night. Real heavy wet snow, like we would get in Alaska. Should be a treat to put through the snowblower today...

IMG_0126.jpg

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah the rain didn't amount to much, but the wind has picked up. I was thinking about you the other day Chris, when I dropped into Hell Roaring Canyon, had to squeeze between two boulders going down the chute, was dragging my side panels on em it was so tight. The snow is tossed around pretty good up there, was pretty sketchy getting out with all the drifting...

Premium Features