• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Washington Snowmobile & Power Sports Expo and Swap meet

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I was actually thinking about trying to make it over to the Spokane SnowShow as well. Could be worth checking out for sure! I cant seem to find any Contact info anywhere? I'd like to setup the DareDevil Goggle stand, but not sure if I can do that at the swapmeet or if I need to get a spot inside etc? Anyone see and email address or phone number?

There is phone number at the bottom of the flyer I posted.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I'll be at spokane as well. Used to attend annually when I lived in idaho. Totally different type of show. Much smaller in overall size and attendance, but I think the Knights do a nice job with it.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I think attendance was down for a number of reasons.

In order (in my opinion):

1. Lack of snow last season and nobody rode and therefore do not need anything.

2. Hunting Season opens on the same weekend.

3. Edmonton Snow show on the same weekend.

4. More after market vendors required. (same stuff every season)

5. Blue Lot Rules and costs. (Way more swapping needed)

6. US Exchange rate for all the Canadians.

A couple of things that I would like to see changed.

1. I think the hours are waaaay too long. 9-6 is brutal as a vendor. I think it should be 10-5 like previous years on Saturday and 10-3 on Sunday. For those of us who like to party it is just too damn hard getting there by 9:00 AM and being on your game.

2. I would like to see some changes that bring "fun" to the show.

- Grass Drags in the field behind the grounds.
- Big beer tent area with a big screen with sled and snowbike videos.
- Even mini sled rides for kids in the parking lot

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I think beer should be completely out of the equation. All beer does is lead to stupid acts. I am also pretty sure if they don't want you starting a machine in the parking lot because of noise the grass drags would be a no for sure (even though that would be cool). My opinion is they just need to find a new place to have it so the rules about starting machines and having things outside the trailer will be gone. Then you could possibly have it on a weekend where there is not another show or opening weekend of deer season going on.

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
I've been going to the snow show, especially the blue lot, for a for a number of years. You cant have a swap meet AND make people keep goods inside their trailers. it just doesn't work.

we were SETTING up our trailer and a member of WSSA came over to us and literally yelled at us for having stuff on our door. I told him we were getting started and didn't even have prices on the parts. He yelled at me again saying I signed the rules.

really? your going to yell at me? how about you actually engage the person before jumping their sh!t.

between having to sign the rules, and feel like a 2yr old, and getting yelled at for setting up, it put a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm glad to pay the $50 to get in. but I'm not going to deal with the BS anymore. this was my last year in the blue lot.

(and no, your not going to try and persuade me to go inside the expo.)

S

Spoon man

Dec 10, 2013
Olympia
The Spokane snow show and the puyallup snow show are put on by the same team. Shouldn't be that much different from each other. I know it was different in years past but there is a different person running it now so some things will naturally be different.

M
Nov 28, 2007
Please note that while I'm both a WSSA Board Member and a member of the Expo Committee, this post isn't representing either.

I read through this entire thread and thought a few comments were in order.

The Expo falls on the same weekend every year due to a couple of reasons. The biggest revolves around other snow shows being held on other weekends and a changed date by us (or them) has an affect on exhibitors, forcing them to pick and choose events to attend, which can leave us on the losing end. (We are seeing a bit of this as the Alberta show did in fact change their date to the same date as ours a year or so ago.) Another consideration is the Fairgrounds; we aren't the only event they cater to and dates are reserved well in advance. It may be possible to change venues, but the Puyallup Fairgrounds offers a good size and location that is tough to match/beat.

There seems to be some confusion on pricing in the Blue Lot. Yes, it did increase to $50 in 2015, but up from $40. It hasn't been $25 since 2009. (It had been $40 since 2012.)

Minor rule changes were made for the Blue Lot in 2015, but enforcement of the existing rules were stepped up. (New rule was no commercial vendors; existing rules included items not being allowed off trucks/trailers.) I have heard accounts of abrupt enforcement and we'll look into this. Some background though... Last year the Blue Lot reached an unruly level requiring local law enforcement stepping in, thus the increase in scrutiny this year. The Blue Lot Swap was never intended to be a parts swap and compete with the indoor swap; the idea was this would just be a sleds, trailers, and sled/trailer packages. A Blue Lot swap competing with the indoor swap is detrimental to the indoor swappers AND the Expo exhibitors. If people spend all their money in the Blue Lot, they don't need to come inside the Expo. If we can't help exhibitors be successful, they won't return. We obviously can't pay the bills (both facility fees for the event and WSSA's operations for the year) without a healthy exhibit area inside the Fairgrounds. (Note we had a problem with dealers of new sleds and trailers selling in the Blue Lot... how do you figure that went over with the dealers on the inside who paid a whole lot more?) Personally, if a person is going to be selling a lot of parts, I think they are missing the boat by staying in the Blue Lot anyway. Inside you are undercover for when it rains, have a secure location for two days, plus entry to the event for two for two days. Heck, set up your display and go plant yourself in the beer garden! What a freakin' deal!

The show hours were adjusted this year in hopes of getting people inside the Fairgrounds earlier. Many people show up around 6am for the Blue Lot but then couldn't go into the show for four more hours. We shortened the wait to three hours with a 9am opening. The closing time on Sat. wasn't adjusted and maybe should be. (We'll talk about it.) Sunday opened at 9am and did close an hour earlier at 2pm. (And for anyone wondering, the Saturday opening was delayed due to the Fire Marshal not completing the inspection on time; that shouldn't happen again.)

It was mentioned to bring in other events (grass drags, mini-sleds for kids, etc.). It has been looked into, but getting approval from the Fairgrounds has been the hurdle. I'm guessing liability concerns. I'd like to see this type of thing though.

Whether you agree or not, I hope I have given you a bit of info to consider. I'd encourage all of you with complaints to submit them to the Expo Chair (wssaexpo@wssa.us) and give recommendations on solutions; griping on here won't fix a thing. And taking it a step farther, volunteer! Expo needs lots of help every year! (Volunteers actually earn money for their snowmobile club with every hour worked and gain free entry.)

If you have any comments for me, I'd suggest e-mailing them as I don't spend much time on this forum and may not see them. (In fact, if you e-mail the Chair, feel free to Cc me.) You can reach me at snoflyer@wssa.us.

-Matt

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Snow blow

Sorry to say but the WSSA snow expo has become the "no snow/no fun show"
In the last of multiple years the amount of sled registrations have declined significantly but yet the "fees" to sell in the blue lot have doubled in 6years. Hate to say this but the wssa is pricing themselves OUT of have people like me showing up (Selling on Craigslist, snowest & lots of other sites are FREE, plus reach more people).
It seams to me the WSSA is turning into the OLD persons on the lake that has had their fun years ago & is now offended by others having the same fun that they used too(speaking of BBQ/tailgating blue lot).

As far as some commercial dealers in the blue lot... The WSSA has given some of these dealers NO choice... They aren't there to put up big displays. They are there to sell a few sleds just like everybody else (need I remind you of the S**T snow seasons we've had). Being a bunch of D*CKs to very good dealers WILL NOT SCORE ANY POINTS IN MY BOOKS. If fact it will make me SUPPORT you less.
Good luck WSSA with your "expo" your officially running this into the ground. I'm not sure if you've noticed but this is a very SMALL community & your only making it smaller!

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
You’re asking us to submit our complaints to WSSA? What good will that do? WSSA has made it very clear on what THEY want to do. And that is…Remove people from selling at the blue lot. Plain and simple. You don’t want anything going on there except people to park their Prius, walk in, and buy from the high paying vendors.
Here’s my complaint….Not being able to cook out or BBQ? People are in the blue lot, ready to get in at 3:30am, then stay all day. You expect us to go into the expo center to buy food from the vendors? Really? Do you tell that to the Seahawks tailgaters? NO. People cooking out doesn’t do anything but enhance the atmosphere of the day. Some people look forward to this event all year, knowing it’s going to be a good time to visit with their winter friends again. I didn’t see but a handful of guys I ride with. Why? Well it could be a number of reasons. But I’m sure it has something to do with the strict enforcement of the rules.
You have a number of people who would like to have a beer. Yeah, I remember once instance last year where the police engaged an individual…but was it THAT bad where you need to make it NO alcohol? You mean to tell me that we’re so bad at being ambassadors that a little beer spoils the party?
Oh, and the 30 second rule for starting the snowmobile. What a joke. For 2 weeks (3 weekends) in the summer I can hear the concerts from the Fair every night. Why? Well I live within hearing distance of the fairgrounds. You don’t see the fairgrounds telling the artists they can only sing for 30 seconds at a time. It’s not like people are going to rag on their sleds and rev them to be obnoxious. But take the issues as they arise as you enforce the rules. In theory we could line all the sleds up along Meridian, and run them for 29 seconds each, and loop the run time all day. Bet you didn’t think of that? (Now you probably will).
I’m sorry, but I look at Haydays and wonder, “how can they do it there, and we can’t do it here?”. Well, a number of reasons really…But giving us a bunch of rules to follow, and enforcing them like we were in a Nazi Concentration Camp puts the last nail in the coffin.

S

shmuckaluck

Aug 20, 2001
Federal Way, Washington
Hey guys,
I have been attending the snow show for about 18 years, it has been one of my favorite weekends for years (excluding the last 2 shows). This show was an embarrassment. I spent many years selling in the blue lot, showing up at 2:00am to get a good spot, good times. And 90% of the people out there showed up early to look at parts before the show opened, then went into the show. I don't know all the answers, but if all the people on here that love going to the show get involved maybe it can be worked out. no offense to the show committee, but they don't seem to be in the same demographic as most the people riding. so if you want it to change get involved, and I'm talking to myself as well.

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
I like the Monroe idea. Move it there, add some grass drags. Im pretty sure there is camping there as well. It would never be a "hay days" but it would be better than nothing. Nothing is what we are going to have in puyallup very soon.

W
May 27, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
I like the Monroe idea. Move it there, add some grass drags. Im pretty sure there is camping there as well. It would never be a "hay days" but it would be better than nothing. Nothing is what we are going to have in puyallup very soon.

Monroe in my opinion would be a great location. We own show horses and go to horse shows there all the time throughout the summer. There is rv sites located on the north side of the fairgrounds with water and power hook ups with a rv dump. And of course there is the Evergreen speedway where one could fire up their sleds and no one would complain. There is plenty of parking and areas for the swap meet sellers to set up and sell thier items. There are large arena's and even a nice covered area under the speedway bleachers to set up. Even though i live in Enumclaw i am not opposed to drivng all the way up to Monroe for a change of scenery and perhaps a new venue may bring the masses back.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Monroe is a great idea, I will not waste my time going to Puyallup the way it is now.

Tar

Last edited:
C

chief 8101

Nov 26, 2007
Monroe WA
I live in Monroe and would be willing to help get the location arrangements made at the fairgrounds in Monroe if we can talk WSSA into making a change...if they don't I think the Puyallup show will fail and cease to exist within a year or two

JETJOHNSO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
You've got to be kidding me ??

As a committee member for the expo for as many years as I can remember I've got a few things for you all, DID ANY OF YOU READ WHAT MATT SAID?? It's posted above; he hit on just about all the things you all complain about, this expo is put on by UNPAID volunteers. We are all WSSA members and do our absolute best to put on a great show. WE DIDN'T MAKE THE RULES, the Puyallup fair grounds and the Puyallup Police do. After many years of sliding by we were called out last year, they are the ones who won’t let sleds on the ground, no starting them up, no alcohol, no barbeques etc. Holy crap, we didn't just change the rules they've always been there, we just finally got caught and had to make drastic changes. You can thank the few partiers who ruined it for all. For all you hunters out there, tell me when hunting season starts next year?????? Guess what, you can’t because the game department hasn’t put it out and wont till next frigging year. The Puyallup fair has events every single weekend and books up years in advance, we can’t have anything sooner as the actual fair ends in September and there are only so many weekends available. The Blue lot was empty this year, not because we raised the price, because there just weren’t a lot of people who showed up. Sorry we've had basically 2 bad snow years in a row and the Weather man has been preaching all summer long about our drought and how we won’t have any kind of winter this coming season. Sorry to rant but I'm really pissed to see this many people complaining about a lot of items we can’t control. We put our heart and soul into this show and always have, NONE OF US GET PAID!!! We do it because we love the sport. For every one complainer there are 10 who love the show and come back every year no matter what. There are a lot of great deals INSIDE the show for all to see. Damn, you didn’t get to have the big party in the blue lot. And you didn’t have to deal with Puyallup Police or the fairgrounds last year either!! Move to Monroe, I dont think so, If someone on here wants to take control and move it to Monroe, have at it, Do you even have a clue whats involved ? Coordinating with all the manufactures, aftermarket vendors, other shows, the fair ground rules, INSURANCE, etc, etc, etc. It's a ton of work done by about 10 total people. Yes I'm on the committee and I am also a vendor inside, yes the show was weak this year, attendance was WAY down. Thank the weather man, the price of our sport, hunting season, Seahawks, etc. I've been to other shows and I can honestly say it’s a pretty dang good show with a lot of great deals and things for sale. Sure, we can’t make everyone happy, but we try. Any questions PM me or you can call me direct, no problem, And for all you WSSA haters, Your ignorant and dont have a clue what it takes to fight all the battles. There are a lot places you wouldnt be riding or have any grooming ect if it were'nt for WSSA. They do so much that you dont even know about, Ok, I'm done and off my soap box.

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
As a committee member for the expo for as many years as I can remember I've got a few things for you all, DID ANY OF YOU READ WHAT MATT SAID?? It's posted above; he hit on just about all the things you all complain about, this expo is put on by UNPAID volunteers. We are all WSSA members and do our absolute best to put on a great show. WE DIDN'T MAKE THE RULES, the Puyallup fair grounds and the Puyallup Police do. After many years of sliding by we were called out last year, they are the ones who won’t let sleds on the ground, no starting them up, no alcohol, no barbeques etc. Holy crap, we didn't just change the rules they've always been there, we just finally got caught and had to make drastic changes. You can thank the few partiers who ruined it for all. For all you hunters out there, tell me when hunting season starts next year?????? Guess what, you can’t because the game department hasn’t put it out and wont till next frigging year. The Puyallup fair has events every single weekend and books up years in advance, we can’t have anything sooner as the actual fair ends in September and there are only so many weekends available. The Blue lot was empty this year, not because we raised the price, because there just weren’t a lot of people who showed up. Sorry we've had basically 2 bad snow years in a row and the Weather man has been preaching all summer long about our drought and how we won’t have any kind of winter this coming season. Sorry to rant but I'm really pissed to see this many people complaining about a lot of items we can’t control. We put our heart and soul into this show and always have, NONE OF US GET PAID!!! We do it because we love the sport. For every one complainer there are 10 who love the show and come back every year no matter what. There are a lot of great deals INSIDE the show for all to see. Damn, you didn’t get to have the big party in the blue lot. And you didn’t have to deal with Puyallup Police or the fairgrounds last year either!! Move to Monroe, I dont think so, If someone on here wants to take control and move it to Monroe, have at it, Do you even have a clue whats involved ? Coordinating with all the manufactures, aftermarket vendors, other shows, the fair ground rules, INSURANCE, etc, etc, etc. It's a ton of work done by about 10 total people. Yes I'm on the committee and I am also a vendor inside, yes the show was weak this year, attendance was WAY down. Thank the weather man, the price of our sport, hunting season, Seahawks, etc. I've been to other shows and I can honestly say it’s a pretty dang good show with a lot of great deals and things for sale. Sure, we can’t make everyone happy, but we try. Any questions PM me or you can call me direct, no problem, And for all you WSSA haters, Your ignorant and dont have a clue what it takes to fight all the battles. There are a lot places you wouldnt be riding or have any grooming ect if it were'nt for WSSA. They do so much that you dont even know about, Ok, I'm done and off my soap box.

I think most of the people on here are cheering for the WSSA and the show's success, after all we are all passionate about the sport and really appreciate the tremendous efforts that the clubs and associations makes on our behalves. Like any venture, it's hard to understand all the behind-the-scenes work that goes into anything until you do it yourself.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

You've got some great points Dan, and a lot of things that people just don't know about that aren't WSSA's fault. My personal opinion leads me to believe that with last year's incredibly low snow, folks just aren't getting excited and probably didn't do much riding to the point that they needed to buy a lot of stuff this year... I honestly believe that the next time we get a banner deep snow year, it will result in a more heavily attended show. This was my first time spending the entire weekend there from setup to tear down as an exhibitor, and I look forward to increased attendance in the future, both from the public, and other exhibitors. We need SNOW!

Premium Features