• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 bdx prolite review

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Xfire I rode mine at 800-10,000 feet for 3 days. I was amazed at how much power this engine made at elevation. An ETEC or Pro at 10,000 feet is pretty weak sauce. Simple lines that i take at 5000 feet were a problem. I ride mainly at 4000-6000 and at 6000 it's over revving with the stock clutching, 8450. At 9800 feet I was pulling 8050-8100 with the same clutch setup. That is pretty impressive to only drop 3-400 rpm at double the elevation. Also, I have not touched the tuning. It "sounds" like it's burbling and loading up at 4500-5500 rpm but it never hesitates when you hit the flipper. Of course they have a 940 kit now!!!

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Got another 60 miles on mine today, now have right around 200 miles on it, sled is spot on!! Hasn't missed a beat!! Couldn't be happier.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Well, due to lack of snow, I'm right at 350 miles now. Went for a great ride two days ago that really tested my abilities. This prolite shined all day!! I have to admit tho, I was riding with a much better rider that was on an xm with a belt drive and can, and I definitely didn't show him up in any way. However, like I said, he is a very good rider and the places he took me to, I was just happy to make it half the time...lol. I would never have been able to take my m1000 in those places!!
Sled has been perfect. Motor (800) runs very strong and hasn't missed a beat!! Belt looks brand new at 350 miles as well. Very happy with this sled!! NOW, PLEASE SNOW!!!

S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
So far for me, I still only have one ride in, hoping to get out this weekend. Jeff at BDX did come through with everything he said he would up until this point. He shipped the tank, a new PC V with timing control, and a replacement tether as mine failed on the first ride. The tank fit well, but getting that seat back on and looking good is a PITA. The tank looks good, and one quick ride in the flats showed me that the timing control is a good improvement. I did discover that I had to burp the cooling system again. I am hoping there is not a problem there. I do have a coolant bottle that I can use, I think I will try to fit one on instead of a total loss onto the ground.

BDX has renewed my faith in them though.

Kevin, thanks for the map for the new PC V.

S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
Finally got out last weekend.

Good continued:
Motor, all I can say is WOW. Wheelies on the crusty snow on command once you figure out body position. Pulls from idle to 8300 with no hesitation even when running a fat map. Riding in steep sidehill trees becomes a "I can do this!" instead of a "Can I do this?". I pulled through what should have been a stuck on several occasions. It does worry me how bad I will be stuck when it finally happens. With the new PCV with timing, it was set up a bit rich, leaving smoke trails, but with Kevin's help, it should be good now. Bikeman gave me a tip or two for final set up as well, so I will try to get to those the next week out.

Handling, I know I was told I would never have to put the skis to the narrowest position, but I am going to try anyway. The sled lays over so easily, but why not go for bordering on unstable? I really want to try a stock PC M8 to see what they are like, cause the Pro lites are awesome. Going to start adjusting shock pressures now to tailor it to me. The fox's are better than expected, the geometry of the front end is great, and the rear is what I expect from a stock geometry skid.

The not so good continues:
The wrap. it is almost embarrassing how fast the look of the sled is deteriorating. The red and white looked really good out of the box but is falling off now and looks years old after two rides. Do I bounce off trees? yup, Do I fall off into tree wells? now and then yes. It still should not leave entire panels of the wrap behind. I have lost almost half of the wrap already and expect an all white sled soon.

The seat, love the feel and how it is out of your way while riding, but the dog ear flaps are always breaking. and not to the quality of the rest of the seat. Also, pulled it off to change to the clear tanks, and now I can't get it to line up with the bulk head supports again.

Overall, I would buy this sled again. The minuses are outweighed by the plusses. For the cost difference I don't see any other out of the box sled coming close. Hub's Performance (Kevin) is great to work with, a patient man all the way, the fact he really knows his stuff is an even bigger plus. BDX seems to be getting back to their old ways, albeit slowly, so I see a long relationship their too.

Now all we need is more snow!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Not the best but this is what I have .

1012072_10203379125748386_481385200_n.jpg

1601060_10203379126268399_71662809_n.jpg

1779688_10203379127428428_1074855969_n.jpg

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Looks awesome, how much does the Bdx front end change up the handling? Is it different geometry set-up then stock?

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
460+ miles now and I have finally got a problem...my handwarmers quit working! ?. I know it doesn't sound too bad, but I checked the fuses and they're ok. We've had mass amounts of fresh powder surrounded by SUPER cold weather. Riding without handwarmers SUCKS right now. Gotta get this fixed! Time to try out my warranty I guess.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Anyone else with a Prolite have a trenching problem. My dads 13 Prolite trenches bad. Will not come close to keeping up with my stock 14 Cat in the deep.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Keep the front end down.

Like I told you in the pm. You take that much weight off the front of the sled it will tend to lift. I guaranty it will out do your 14 if you get the front end down. If you only use the last foot of you track they tend to trench.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks pfi572, for posting the pics, i couldn't get em to go.
Got about 500 ish kms so far, only been out in really deep a couple times but have a few comments already.
I put on gripper skis after 2 trips, absolutely 100 percent better, I had the seat foam raised a couple inches stock was way low, I ordered mine with the HCR riser not the adjustable, it would be nice once in while but hate the wiggly sloppy thing, I put a shockwave helix in works very well, turn it out on the trail and trail speed rpms dropped from 65-68 to 55-6000, made a hell of a difference in trail gas mileage, have a black blue secondary spring and a dark green primary with 68 gram weights. I just geared up from 19-50 to 20-50 worked far better considering going to a 49 tooth bottom. Love the track, was thinking of a 3 inch but changing my mind, works so well. Have rode quite a few stock 14 M8s , nice sled but the BDX is the real deal, feels and performs so much lighter and easier to handle. Were out last week messing around on a mountain meadow 12 inches of fairly loose snow, Got to racing 2 14 XMs, 14 M8, 13 Freeride, 11 and 12 Pros , the BDX totally dominated on the hole shot, by a bunch, the XM was starting to gain some ground by end of meadow , probably 1000 ft or so.
Have done a bit of climbing, very impressed so far, might have to take steps to bring the front end down, Carrys the skis a bit to high for me.
Don't like the headlight, Needs to cast further and on the trail it bounces and the light jumps around, gonna try and mount it on the riser somehow and the track sucks coming downhill and the decal package is not the best, lots of spots letting go.
Had issues getting it here, Dean from Mad Motor Sports was awesome but BDX was lots late in getting it here, but it worked out.
So far, I love it, was pretty apprehensive, but so far it works very well , handles awesome.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Quick update...
700 miles on the sled now... Handwarmers have been the only problem!! Belt still looks new, and motor runs flawlessly. Finally found a hill that was safe, but challenging. I went over three times in a row with my stock powered prolite (800) and 153" track. My buddy who is lighter and a better rider couldn't make it over with his 12 pro 163" with slp stage 2 kit... ??

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Ok, another update. Grip warmers fixed and local dealer even replaced stock grips with better, grippier ones...thank you Yellowstone motor sports in belgrade!! Finally smoked a belt...735 miles, super warm day and I was attacking a climb over and over again. I'm happy with the life of my first belt:)... Over 800 miles on the sled now and everything else has been perfect!! Changed gear case oil at 700~miles and it looked grey! but minimal debris on drain plug magnet. Track still looks new, but that may be more of anstatement of the snow we've had rather than track durability. ?
This bdx package is very solid. Mine has the stock 800 w/bikeman can. Very loud, but very consistent. Super happy with the power. Anything this sled can't climb, is something I shouldn't be on anyway!! My wish list would be a 156 extreme w/ big wheel kit and belt drive. I feel this would make this sled unstoppable!! Then, maybe a whistler.....

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Update on 14 prolite

Still have this sled and love it!! I'm at 1700 miles. Blew two belts total. Replaced secondary at 1200. Have hit numerous stumps, trees, rocks, and have only replaced one a-arm and two spindles. One wreck almost cost me my life! Oh yeah, two bumpers....money well spent:face-icon-small-hap
I had Kevin from hubs performance do some clutching and install a tki belt drive. After that, I'm really trying to ride this sled to its capabilities!! My only complaint after riding a new doo 850 is how hard it is to steer!! I've cranked my front track shock to about 1/4-3/8 up, and it's still hard as hell to turn compared to that doo!! It's so hard to turn, if I have to go through tight trees at a slow pace, my arms get pumped before I even get to the sweet spots! Considering the mc drop and roll, but have heard people complain about mcs being hard to turn also... Any setup advice is welcome!! When I'm in the sweet stuff, I really have nothing to bitch about!! Other than a bog which I discovered was my fault(long story, don't want to talk about it, lol). This sled hasn't even hiccuped!! I'm super excited about the 18's, but if I get a new sled, I'm waiting for19 so I can see how the new motor holds up, and I think I'll still keep the 14 prolite!! This is still my favorite sled!! Oh and btw... The only warranty I used in the first year was grip warmers. Haven't needed anything else except the secondary, and it was at hubbs to get a belt drive and clutching anyway, so the cost was minimal...

Speed Shop Inc.

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2009
Cannon Falls, MN
www.speedshopinc.com
Have close to 80 miles on mine. Really worked it today...60+ miles. My stoked meter is out the roof right now, the sled didn't miss a beat and is BY FAR the most fun I've ever had on a sled!! Where to begin, well two days ago I took it for a small break in ride. Sled ran great, but HUGE LEAK FROM GAS K where pump bolts in. I took the sled apart and redid the cork gasket with black RTV sealant added to it...problem solved. Rode it today in pretty good conditions, and it performed flawlessly! This is honestly my first day on a proclimb chassis, and after reading all the posts about it, I was seriously wondering if I made the biggest mistake ever getting this sled. Today answered that question.
BY FAR THE FINEST SLED IVE EVER RIDDEN, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!! I rented a Polaris Pro two times last year and thought that was the best sled in the world!! Felt comfortable on it instantly and it took me everywhere I needed to go with confidence!! After riding this prolite today, the pro seems like a pos with horrible suspension and NO power. My sled ran all day with a 12 pro with a stage 2 slp kit including head , pipe and clutching. When the owner of the pro rode mine, the first thing he said was how light it was. He was also very impressed with the power....keep in mind, mine is the stock 800, and it even has the stock can!! I can't wait to get my lightweight can and install it!!
The trail was beat today, but I didn't even feel the bumps!! My m1000 would have beat me half to death today!! I felt sorry for all the old m's going up the trail today!! Now to the good stuff!! This sled side hills and carves so perfectly, I don't understand at all the negatives I've read on here about this proclimb chassis. Maybe it's the bdx package, I don't know, but I was pulling lines today(my first day riding this year!!) that I would have NEVER even attempted on my m1000!! This sled is an absolute riot to ride!! Secondary clutch was getting fairly hot, but belt looks good and primary stayed cool. The way this thing handles huge bumps is confidence inspiring to say the least. I hit a few places today where I thought I was ****ed, and it gobbled up the bumps without me even feeling them for the most part.
I have a long way to go to be a "good" rider, but I did things on this sled today that put the biggest smile on my face!!
AWESOME SLED!! I'm happy beyond belief right now!!

Awesome to hear! They are fun sleds! Now just imagine much more power!

We can upgrade you to our PROMAX 950 big bore and you don't even need to send in your cylinders for exchange. Completely new top end with new Cast 950 Cylinders, pistons, aluminum exhaust valves, billet head, gaskets and orings. This is our 3rd season with them now and they simply work great! We have the mapping and clutching dialed in for all elevations.

ssi950complete-6.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Still have this sled and love it!! I'm at 1700 miles. Blew two belts total. Replaced secondary at 1200. Have hit numerous stumps, trees, rocks, and have only replaced one a-arm and two spindles. One wreck almost cost me my life! Oh yeah, two bumpers....money well spent:face-icon-small-hap
I had Kevin from hubs performance do some clutching and install a tki belt drive. After that, I'm really trying to ride this sled to its capabilities!! My only complaint after riding a new doo 850 is how hard it is to steer!! I've cranked my front track shock to about 1/4-3/8 up, and it's still hard as hell to turn compared to that doo!! It's so hard to turn, if I have to go through tight trees at a slow pace, my arms get pumped before I even get to the sweet spots! Considering the mc drop and roll, but have heard people complain about mcs being hard to turn also... Any setup advice is welcome!! When I'm in the sweet stuff, I really have nothing to bitch about!! Other than a bog which I discovered was my fault(long story, don't want to talk about it, lol). This sled hasn't even hiccuped!! I'm super excited about the 18's, but if I get a new sled, I'm waiting for19 so I can see how the new motor holds up, and I think I'll still keep the 14 prolite!! This is still my favorite sled!! Oh and btw... The only warranty I used in the first year was grip warmers. Haven't needed anything else except the secondary, and it was at hubbs to get a belt drive and clutching anyway, so the cost was minimal...

not sure if prolite uses the stock lower bellcrank, but ive found mine to be sloppy even when tight, and a couple times my steering got hard i believe the bushings there were binding. it has gone hard 2 or three times making it a bear to ride, then a little jump or something and its back to normal. ? I tightened the 10mm bolt much as i could and it hasnt returned yet but that joint on the steering needs improvement in the bushing department for sure. at first i thought it was the steering boots dragging but no. anyway just thought id share that and also if you run a ski with less keel the steering feels much better imo. Love my Mohawks, they have extra ribs/stages to help it steer and float without that gnarly keel.
'17MC

Premium Features