• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 bdx prolite review

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Have close to 80 miles on mine. Really worked it today...60+ miles. My stoked meter is out the roof right now, the sled didn't miss a beat and is BY FAR the most fun I've ever had on a sled!! Where to begin, well two days ago I took it for a small break in ride. Sled ran great, but HUGE LEAK FROM GAS K where pump bolts in. I took the sled apart and redid the cork gasket with black RTV sealant added to it...problem solved. Rode it today in pretty good conditions, and it performed flawlessly! This is honestly my first day on a proclimb chassis, and after reading all the posts about it, I was seriously wondering if I made the biggest mistake ever getting this sled. Today answered that question.
BY FAR THE FINEST SLED IVE EVER RIDDEN, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!! I rented a Polaris Pro two times last year and thought that was the best sled in the world!! Felt comfortable on it instantly and it took me everywhere I needed to go with confidence!! After riding this prolite today, the pro seems like a pos with horrible suspension and NO power. My sled ran all day with a 12 pro with a stage 2 slp kit including head , pipe and clutching. When the owner of the pro rode mine, the first thing he said was how light it was. He was also very impressed with the power....keep in mind, mine is the stock 800, and it even has the stock can!! I can't wait to get my lightweight can and install it!!
The trail was beat today, but I didn't even feel the bumps!! My m1000 would have beat me half to death today!! I felt sorry for all the old m's going up the trail today!! Now to the good stuff!! This sled side hills and carves so perfectly, I don't understand at all the negatives I've read on here about this proclimb chassis. Maybe it's the bdx package, I don't know, but I was pulling lines today(my first day riding this year!!) that I would have NEVER even attempted on my m1000!! This sled is an absolute riot to ride!! Secondary clutch was getting fairly hot, but belt looks good and primary stayed cool. The way this thing handles huge bumps is confidence inspiring to say the least. I hit a few places today where I thought I was ****ed, and it gobbled up the bumps without me even feeling them for the most part.
I have a long way to go to be a "good" rider, but I did things on this sled today that put the biggest smile on my face!!
AWESOME SLED!! I'm happy beyond belief right now!!

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Forgot to mention, the powder coated tunnel REALLY works, my buddy and I were both amazed at how little snow stuck to this thing!! His pro was carrying an extra 15-20 lbs all day. I parked the sled in my garage and there's barely any water on the floor from snow melting off.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
First ride today

I finally went not very much snow but was careful and dodged the rocks today. My new 14 Prolite had few goodies C3 belt drive light weight titanium can and a new 940 motor.Holy hold on I can pull it over on the flats. I still have not decided if I can even put the 3X156 on it. I am going to do some suspension work see if I can keep it down. I thought the 900 was fun but the 940 is a hand full. I still have a little mapping to do but it's going to be a home run. I am not going to recommend it as a standard on the 15 Prolite it is a little extreme for everyone.

Last edited:

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I finally went not very much snow but was careful and dodged the rocks today. My new 14 Prolite had few goodies C3 belt drive light weight titanium can and a new 940 motor.Holy hold on I can pull it over on the flats. I still have not decided if I can even put the 3X156 on it. I am going to do some suspension work see if I can keep it down. I thought the 900 was fun but the 940 is a hand full. I still have a little mapping to do but it's going to be a home run. I am not going to recommend it as a standard on the 15 Prolite it is a little extreme for everyone.

Who makes the 940?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

You should send your 900 cylinders back to BDX so they can put them on my sled so I can get it, or tell them to put one of those 940 kits on it! Glad to hear it is working out for you. What ratio are you running on your belt drive?

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc

I don't think ur average guys are buying the prolite, the stock PC are good enough...... I think ur market is the "extreme's". I know, they are a lot of trailer queen turbos out there.... But for the most part, the guys buy ur product will be looking for the 940 after that post.

Last edited:
S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
Its been a few days since i have been out on mine for the first time.

My review:

Buying experience; this is really in two parts. One is for Kevin at MM Sports, or Hubs Performance. Overall it was very good, the reason I bought was because of the test ride I took and his attitude towards customer satisfaction. Without that I would more than likely be on a XM X package this year. From the test ride onward Kevin was helpful, understanding, and forthcoming with any information he had.

The second part was with BDX. This started out poor, got worse, now seems to be coming around. I think they have herd from too many people to think that their lack of communication and performance was going unnoticed by the masses. I hope the strong improvement from BDX I have seen and herd about from others recently continues.

Riding experience; For the past two seasons, I have not been able to get out allot. A total of 4 times over the two seasons. Yup it was a nightmare. So coming off that much time away from the seat to jumping on a Pro Lite may not be the best for objectivity. To me the sled was unreal when I first rode the demo, and continues with that impression.

Suspension on mine needs to be dialed in more, but I am trying to get some more time on it before playing with pressures, turning knobs, or shortening the limiter strap.

Engine; well what can you say about the 900 BMP motor. It has instant throttle response, and all the power I think I need and then some. The only issue I have is that it is a little fat in the middle for constant throttle riding. If you have ever ridden with Kevin from MM Sports, you will know why. Kevin doesn't use a constant throttle anywhere. He is constantly blipping the throttle, and when you ride it that way, it is fueled spot on.

Handling;
Big bump riding, you must commit to your line and get on top of the bumps. When you do this, it rides like a dream and is really quick up the trail. when you hesitate it will bite you.

Powder, it is so easy to lay on its side I rarely find I need to come off of the one foot on either side type of riding. When you do, you need to make sure you get your weight to the middle of the sled early, as it turns ALLOT quicker than you think it will. Learning not to fight it and work with it will be my biggest challenge this year. For climbing, I have the shorty 153, not the killer setup for long climbs. Climbing & side hilling in the trees, the 2.6 track works the charm, lets you stop, choose a line and go (when pushed by the 900 anyways) but you still need to mind the height of the front end. The skis don't float as well as I would like, but the do side hill really easily. Trials riders will appreciate this as it is like riding on only the rear wheel most of the time.

Fit and Finish;
The Cat parts fit like just that, better than year before, about equal to Polaris, but behind Ski-Doo and Yamaha. The graphics on mine (CDN edition red and white) looked awesome out of the box. Once you got close you could see that the application was a rush job. BDX has promised a new set at the end of the season, so I am not worried about how much they are peeling. I found that it I trim the peeling parts right away it stops more peeling.

Overall conclusion;
It is too early to tell, but first impression is that I am dating a model, and she is a bit out of my league at the moment. It does so much so well that I find myself riding behind it. When my skills sharpen enough to catch up to it and ride ahead of the terrain, I am am confident that there will be few places this sled and I won't be able to attack with confidence and ease.

I hope other owners will put up their experiences over the season as I plan to.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
--the 15 motor will be a Cat motor and not the Suzuki motor, so the 940 kit will be an upgrade for 14 and older motors --right?

I think cat will still have the current 800ho next yr. The new 800 might also be available but not the only 800.

Riden the Yamacat

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Anyone ride these at consistently different elevations? What elevation(s) is the sled supposed to run at. Ive seen how the slp stage III runs at varying elevations contrary to what they advertise so i want to hear real world experiences. Ive ridden from 3500-12000' this year in montana wyoming and colorado. Still searching for that setup that works everywhere, but the more setups i see, the better stock looks.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Running one at sea level to about a 1000' here in MI. 300 miles with mtn. gearing and clutching not bad, waiting on new helix, gears, and more magnet weights for primary to complete the flatland setup. Will report after she's installed.

Premium Features