• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 800 HCR, SNOPRO or Standard

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
Cats website for HCR says "Arctic Race Suspension with FOX Float EVOL shocks and sway bar"

But, when you click on the "Arctic Race Suspension" link the pic looks like EVOL R's.

Compare Fox Floats here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/snowmobile/mountain/compare/50

hmmmm, looks like they just left the "R" off the web description. Evols are only available in R or X.

Last edited:

bunker86

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2008
Arlington, South Dakota
Cats website for HCR says "Arctic Race Suspension with FOX Float EVOL shocks and sway bar"

But, when you click on the "Arctic Race Suspension" link the pic looks like EVOL R's.

Compare Fox Floats here: http://www.foxracingshox.com/snowmobile/mountain/compare/50

hmmmm, looks like they just left the "R" off the web description. Evols are only available in R or X.

I looked at the '12's and yes the HCR has Evol R's atleast the 4 stroke HCR I'd assume the 800 would be the same way.

Stocker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2004
Ankritz, AK
I looked at the '12's and yes the HCR has Evol R's atleast the 4 stroke HCR I'd assume the 800 would be the same way.

I don't think any of the production HCRs will come with R Evol shocks. If you check the 2012 Cat accessories catalog on pg. 101 you'll see 4 different models of fox floats: 'Fox Float 2', 'Fox Float Evol', 'Fox Float R Evol', and 'Fox Float RC2 Evol' (X model). Only difference I can see between the Fox Float Evol and Fox Float R Evol is rebound adjustment.

As sierraclimber noted Fox only offers the R Evol with rebound adjustment. Also note that the Fox Float Evol in the Cat catalog is $150 cheaper than the R Evol. I figure the Fox Float Evol is a model Fox made exclusively for Cat since it's available as a Cat accessory, but not through fox directly (at this time at least).

The Cat HCR specs for the 800 and the 1100T specifically use the term 'Fox Float Evol', not 'Fox Float R Evol'. I'm speculating here and have not confirmed this with a dealer or rep, but what makes more sense? Cat putting a cheaper and exclusive shock on their production models that still uses the Evol brand but without rebound adjustment, or a more expensive shock with adjustable rebound that might not be utilized by "Joe" rider?

I don't think the lack of rebound adjustment is too big of a deal for most riders either. Although I like having the ability to adjust rebound with the R Evols on one of my sleds, it's kind of a set it and forget it option that most people never play around with much (now Hi/Lo compression on the other hand....) You should also have a pretty good knowledge of the effects adjusting the shaft rebound of your shocks has on handling and control. Let's face it, most folks don't want to be bothered with this level of adjustment and perhaps it's a performance and liability concern for Cat. Mess around with rebound adjustment without a good understanding of its effects and you could turn your sled into a crappy handling and potentially dangerous machine.

Just putting 2 and 2 together here. If anyone has more specific info from a dealer or rep, I'd love to be proven wrong.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I don't think any of the production HCRs will come with R Evol shocks. If you check the 2012 Cat accessories catalog on pg. 101 you'll see 4 different models of fox floats: 'Fox Float 2', 'Fox Float Evol', 'Fox Float R Evol', and 'Fox Float RC2 Evol' (X model). Only difference I can see between the Fox Float Evol and Fox Float R Evol is rebound adjustment.

As sierraclimber noted Fox only offers the R Evol with rebound adjustment. Also note that the Fox Float Evol in the Cat catalog is $150 cheaper than the R Evol. I figure the Fox Float Evol is a model Fox made exclusively for Cat since it's available as a Cat accessory, but not through fox directly (at this time at least).

The Cat HCR specs for the 800 and the 1100T specifically use the term 'Fox Float Evol', not 'Fox Float R Evol'. I'm speculating here and have not confirmed this with a dealer or rep, but what makes more sense? Cat putting a cheaper and exclusive shock on their production models that still uses the Evol brand but without rebound adjustment, or a more expensive shock with adjustable rebound that might not be utilized by "Joe" rider?

I don't think the lack of rebound adjustment is too big of a deal for most riders either. Although I like having the ability to adjust rebound with the R Evols on one of my sleds, it's kind of a set it and forget it option that most people never play around with much (now Hi/Lo compression on the other hand....) You should also have a pretty good knowledge of the effects adjusting the shaft rebound of your shocks has on handling and control. Let's face it, most folks don't want to be bothered with this level of adjustment and perhaps it's a performance and liability concern for Cat. Mess around with rebound adjustment without a good understanding of its effects and you could turn your sled into a crappy handling and potentially dangerous machine.

Just putting 2 and 2 together here. If anyone has more specific info from a dealer or rep, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Good points solid reasoning. I am headed to the preview show tomorrow and I will take a pic of the HCR for y'all.

Premium Features