• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 summit 800 etec PROBLEMS help

ProClimber800

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2011
Maine
My buddy's 2011 etec is the biggest p.o.s sled I have ever seen. It has been in and out of the dealer all winter and the dealer SUCKS.
So here's the deal. It's blowing the 30amp fuse by the battery. Before the fuse blows it seems to run alright But the gage cluster comes and goes and freezes. I checked voltage and at idle it's not charging (12.5v) when the gages are working or not. Rev it up and it seems to charge alright (14.6v) when revd it seems to make the cluster power up. Sometime it will come on and work as it
should. Sometimes it doesnt. In less than a minute it will blow that fuse. Any ideas?

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
First thing that comes to mind is the stator. I don't know for sure but I think the resistance between each set of windings is suppose to be approx .63 ohms.

ProClimber800

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2011
Maine
I know they have stator issues. The first time it acted up back in January I did all I could without a buds and told him it probably needed a stator. It went to the dealer and it took them two weeks to figure it out. Said they were working on it with BRP tech themselves. I kept calling them asking if they physically had put their eyes on the stator. Nope. Instead they kept throwing partseries at it. Even a $1400 ecu. Finally looked into stator and supposedly they replaced it and it fixed that issue. (Would go 5ft and shutoff) so should it be putting out more volts at idle? What I'm saying is they just changed the stator. (Supposedly) I'm a cat guy and not familiar with this sled. And I can't find any info or stories of people fixing their own sleds...

Premium Features