• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M Sleds in AK

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
What does the snow ingestion bog feel like? My old 7 was "loading up" while carving last week in that light fresh. It only did it when I laid it over on the side, and it would slowly get worse, 'till it was like a rev limiter, and I would have to lay it upright and pin it, and it would sputter and shudder and then pick up and then hesitate and then clear and be fine...until I laid it over again. I still have the factory intake, with the "warm air" inlet closed off...so it would have had to come in around the headlights, but there was plenty enough for that. I do have extra inlets behind the dash too, but everything was covered everytime I looked, last monday.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, just trying to troubleshoot from the slope, before I go home and look things over...PM with replies if you like.

Thanks,
John

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
AK-AWD, are you sure your exhaust was plugging? To me it seemed like a snow ingestion bog, but I've never had an exhaust that could get plugged. The snow out on the river was super light and fine and I was laying it over in the powder constantly.

It may have been a bit of both but for sure part of it was from the exhaust, when I went to unload it that night it took a few extra pulls and all of a sudden POW it shot out an ice plug from the exhaust and started right up :eek:

The snow was super fine that day and there were a couple other M's out there that had the same bog.

It only happened when I got real buried, the M does seem to dig but it would hit bottom and just keep on going lol.

I now have both shims in the secondary and it is looking pretty good but I think the alignment is just barely off, going to talk to Paul today about it. Instead of too much clearance it looks like I don't have enough and the alignment bar hits the inside face of the primary towards the bottom instead of being able to lay on the shaft. It is really close, I do see a black ring around the clutch at that point though.

I also think that AC's track specs are too loose, I ratcheted my track a few times last ride jumping some cricks when I hit the other side, so I tightened that up a bit.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I've been watching that thread too, but I don't think I want to deal with removing any material yet. I'll wait and see if they come up with something to fix it without grinding or cutting.

Where did you get your M8? I'm just wondering if it's set up the same, it seems every one that got there's from ER Polaris is pulling around 8150 consistently. Some one mentioned in another thread that the stock tack is +/- 300rpm but I wouldn't think it's that far off.

I am pretty sure we all have the same clutching, unless the dealer is super generous and just likes to buy each customer a different set of weights, springs, and helix. My problem is most likely the fact that by the time I have all my gear on, my pistol, a rifle, a bag full of tools, a bunch of water, and all my survival gear, I've added another ~350 lbs to the sled. I'f my wife rode the sled, it would probably over rev a touch.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I'm 225 or so with gear and I'm getting the same thing you are (8050 or less). Honestly I'm the same RPM when heading out (full tank and 4 gallons on the back) as heading in. That's at least a 100lb swing...so I don't think it's all your weight.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
I've been watching that thread too, but I don't think I want to deal with removing any material yet. I'll wait and see if they come up with something to fix it without grinding or cutting.

You might want to at least pull the 8 nuts off the case to see if your tunnel is too narrow. That would tell you if you need to hound your dealer/manufacturer or not. From the conversation I had with my dealer, it appears Cat isn't going to do anything about it, other than a thinner shim behind the 6203 bearing. This isnt going to do anyone any good, so we need to get everyone that has a 09 and 10 M or Crossfire to check their sleds. Cat doesn't think there is enough people having a problem to warrant any kind of action, so we gotta prove it to them.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
I'm 225 or so with gear and I'm getting the same thing you are (8050 or less). Honestly I'm the same RPM when heading out (full tank and 4 gallons on the back) as heading in. That's at least a 100lb swing...so I don't think it's all your weight.

Your probably right, its not all rider weight. But we are being pretty picky, just the manufacturing tolerances on the rubber compound in one belt to another could make a 1-200 rpm difference. Belt deflection, spring seat depth from one clutch to the next, tach calibration, snow conditions, ambient temp, etc ,etc, etc,. Everything can stack up one way or the other.

Would we care if we could just adjust our secondary spring one notch like in the good old days? :eek:

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I also think that AC's track specs are too loose, I ratcheted my track a few times last ride jumping some cricks when I hit the other side, so I tightened that up a bit.

I loosened mine up but it was kind of unscientifically. I pushed on the track with what I approximated to be about 10 lbs of force. I was getting a little less than 1 1/2" of sag. I loosened things up a bit so I'm probably at about 1 3/4" to 2" now. No ratcheting at all on Saturday.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
I loosened mine up but it was kind of unscientifically. I pushed on the track with what I approximated to be about 10 lbs of force. I was getting a little less than 1 1/2" of sag. I loosened things up a bit so I'm probably at about 1 3/4" to 2" now. No ratcheting at all on Saturday.

Yeah Cat's specs say 2" to 2-1/2" I had mine at 2-3/8" with 10lbs, I tightened each side 1/2 a turn after it started ratcheting, it seemed to stop after that, probably around 2-1/8" now.

A
Oct 27, 2009
Soldotna Alaska
I know there are several of us on here running the 2010 M8. I'm curious what you guys are seeing for max RPM? I'd ask on the AC forum but I know most people don't run at our elevations so their clutching is different. I've got 3 good solid rides on mine and I'm still not seeing much more than 8000 RPM. In fact when I pin it, it will jump up to 8050 then drop back to 7950 once the clutches are full shifted out. Are any of you seeing the 82 - 8300 RPM where the power curve maxes out? What clutching are you running?

I am running a 153 LE purchased from Arctic Motor Sports in Soldotna running the same scenario. My rides have been Caribou lake and Lost Lake on the peninsula in decent powder.
I was looking at putting in a straight 38 Helix

I will probably pull my diamond drive this weekend and check the bearing.

The other thing I would recommend is adding the extra wheels in the back from the HCR. This will give you a spare wheel if you break one. The are a 4 wheel inside setup.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
You guys might want to take a look at the coolant return line coming off the head.

I was changing out my primary spring and looking things over and noticed that it was rubbing on one of the exhaust valves. It worked it's way completely through the heat shielding and was starting to rub through the line its self. :face-icon-small-sho

Glad I caught it that could have been a real bad ride if it went all the way through. I wrapped a crap load of heat tape around it and am going to keep an eye on it the next few rides.

A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
Anyone have to change their primary spring yet? If so, what did you end up with? Think I'll change mine before Arctic Man for safe measures.

T

TalkAK

Jan 11, 2008
Talkeetna, AK
Tried a whole bunch of them, ended up with SLP Blue/Pink, engagement around 4000, tops out at 8160-8200. Stock in the secondary. Thats in deep snow on the flat at 2000 feet. Stock weights.

Premium Features