• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M Sleds in AK

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I know there are several of us on here running the 2010 M8. I'm curious what you guys are seeing for max RPM? I'd ask on the AC forum but I know most people don't run at our elevations so their clutching is different. I've got 3 good solid rides on mine and I'm still not seeing much more than 8000 RPM. In fact when I pin it, it will jump up to 8050 then drop back to 7950 once the clutches are full shifted out. Are any of you seeing the 82 - 8300 RPM where the power curve maxes out? What clutching are you running?

A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
I ran 8150 - 8200 with good hookup across a lake. I've got 200 miles and it seems to be holding right around that after changing the shims after the first 50 miles of breakin.

I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
8200-8300

220ish miles.

All stock except Dalton 71.3 adjustable weights and a shift assist.

With the stock black/orange it would hold 8250 all day. That spring broke.

Tried a yellow/white because they didn't have an orange/white. It's too soft for my liking. Pulled the rpm's down to 8050-8150 up on Ascension this weekend (4-5000')

Dropped a gram and it was back to 8200, but I don't like the way the yellow/white shifts.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
I'm on stock clutching but just threw the bigger shim in because my deflection was WAY out.

Riding tomorrow I'll report back but I think I was pulling around 8100 or so.

I also checked my track and it was set up banjo tight so I may gain some from that, it was set around 1-5/8" and thats after the track had time to stretch, guess I should have checked it after I recieved the sled. It's at about 2-3/8" now.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Thanks for the responses, I'm going to check my clutch shims and track. I'm pretty sure the machine came out of ERPAC with the stock 0-3k clutching, but I'm going to check that too to make sure before changing anything. Machine runs great, but I'd like to see a few more hundred RPM.

Have any of you done any thing with the rear suspension to keep the front end down? This thing really likes to get vertical when climbing. I definately can't pin it and point it up a steep hill unless I want to go over backwards :p

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
Check out this dyno chart....

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182000&highlight=m8+dyno
While I agree it is best to run at the recommended RPM you are probably not going to notice a drop of a few hundred R's. This new 800 makes max torque at around 8000, torque wins drag races and hill climbs, not HP. :)

When you might notice a performance decrease is at higher elevations if your RPM drops lower than 7900. This year I have had my new M8 at elevation's right at 5K on a number of rides and have been surprised that it loses very little RPM up high, pretty impressive 800 so far.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
Have any of you done any thing with the rear suspension to keep the front end down? This thing really likes to get vertical when climbing. I definately can't pin it and point it up a steep hill unless I want to go over backwards :p[/QUOTE]

Mine carrys the skis but nothing drastic. I put 60 lbs in the front and 135 in the back, it came out the door with the limiter all the way out and the forward shock about as loose as possible (maybe 3/4" of thread). After changing the shock pressure I like mine alot more on the trail.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Ok, update after todays ride.

Sled ran awsome, better then ever I think. It was pulling around 8150rpm all day. The clutches engaged so much smoother with the deflection set right, I may need to add in the smaller shim ontop the thick one too.

I think I got the suspension set where I like it too, fronts are at 50/53psi, mid shock spring almost all the way loose, limiters all the way out and 145psi in the rear shock (set with the sled off the ground). This may be stiff for the trails but it feals so much better in the pow.

I also set the skis up on the narrow stance and got to try out the powder pros, they float and carve way better then the stockers did, very happy.

I did get a little bog in the real deep powder today due to the exhaust plugging with snow but other then that I think it was the best ride I've had on the sled so far.

Also just an fyi, I only run Shell V-Power (premium) and you may think "all gas comes from the same place here" but they use superior addatives and the car guys consistantly run higher boost tunes without knocking or pulling timing on shell gas here in town. Try Shell the next few times you fill up.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Another little tip, I'm pulling the mid set of boggies out right now (the ones on the inside of the the rail under the rear shock).

I did a little searching after I saw aksnowpro's thread about bending the rails at those boggies and at least 5 other people have posted the EXACT same thing.

I also picked up a BDX Anti-Stab kit from Chad last week and threw it on after reading about all the track stabbings people have been having with these sleds. I figure I'll spend $85 now instead of 12-1300 later.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
Bog

Clayton, I read your post about having a bog in your M8. I haven't had one until yesterday at P'ville. I had a terrible bog when coming off of idle. Not sure mine was the oil pump. I think mine was gas, I filled up a Chevron (usually good) yesterday and my M7 ran bad also but it would just stumble a little off of idle to full throttle. Another problem,,,,,, My last 2 rides I've had a hard time starting my M8 when its dead cold. I've had to pin the throttle both times to get it going. Has anyone else seen this? Suggestions? :confused:

Next ride I'm trying this!
"Also just an fyi, I only run Shell V-Power (premium) and you may think "all gas comes from the same place here" but they use superior addatives and the car guys consistantly run higher boost tunes without knocking or pulling timing on shell gas here in town. Try Shell the next few times you fill up. "

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
hey

Another little tip, I'm pulling the mid set of boggies out right now (the ones on the inside of the the rail under the rear shock).

I did a little searching after I saw aksnowpro's thread about bending the rails at those boggies and at least 5 other people have posted the EXACT same thing.

I also picked up a BDX Anti-Stab kit from Chad last week and threw it on after reading about all the track stabbings people have been having with these sleds. I figure I'll spend $85 now instead of 12-1300 later.

whats this anti stab kit all about? whats going on and how does the track stab your rails? tks tks
-Aksnopro

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
aksnopro said:
whats this anti stab kit all about? whats going on and how does the track stab your rails? tks tks
-Aksnopro

I'm not sure why the M's seem to have the problem, but you can actually feal the vibration when riding without the antistab kit. It's from the windows rubbing the ends of the rails, all it takes is a stick, rock, or anything under the snow to hit in the right spot and the rails will pop through a window and tear up just about everything in your skid.

If you search in the M section you'll find tons of people that had it happen, some one here in the AK section had it happen too I think but can't remember who it was.

All the anti-stab kit is is four small wheels and new end caps for your rails, the wheels stick out just beyond the ends of the rails. Easy install only takes a few minutes, need a 3/8" bit to drill the holes out a little bigger in the rails. Way easier to install it with the sled on it's side than on a lift.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
hm

if theres a weak spot i will find it lol, i ordered the bdx anti stab kit, and the wheels that go on the fox zero pro shock cause i will be removing the idlers from the inside of the skid, help on hyfax wear and i dont trail ride enough for scratchers...

also ordered up the bdx diamond drive 07 up reverse bearing kit.

sleds under warranty but hey i got the money now and i might not later!

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Clayton, I read your post about having a bog in your M8. I haven't had one until yesterday at P'ville. I had a terrible bog when coming off of idle. Not sure mine was the oil pump. I think mine was gas, I filled up a Chevron (usually good) yesterday and my M7 ran bad also but it would just stumble a little off of idle to full throttle. Another problem,,,,,, My last 2 rides I've had a hard time starting my M8 when its dead cold. I've had to pin the throttle both times to get it going. Has anyone else seen this? Suggestions? :confused:

I'm pretty sure my bog was my oil pump. I could see it sticking when i eased off the throttle, so I just make sure I don't do that any more. You issue sure sounds more like gas.

As for the hard starting when cold...I'm not sure but that sure doesn't sound right. I've started mine plenty of times from 0 to -10F and it only takes 3-4 pulls and no gas.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Good thread guys.

My 2010 M8 is only pulling 8050 or so. I've seen it run 8150 once or twice, but it always drops off to 7950 or so. I dont really trust the stock tach though. I'd like to try a bit more spring tension in the secondary just to see if it runs any better. (Im a big guy though, I dont really expect the stock clutching to work for me)

If you guys havent read this thread, you probably should. Skip to the end and read backward. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151644

Last edited:
A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Good thread guys.

My 2010 M8 is only pulling 8050 or so. I've seen it run 8150 once or twice, but it always drops off to 7950 or so. I dont really trust the stock tach though. I'd like to try a bit more spring tension in the secondary just to see if it runs any better. (Im a big guy though, I dont really expect the stock clutching to work for me)

If you guys havent read this thread, you probably should. Skip to the end and read backward. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151644

I've been watching that thread too, but I don't think I want to deal with removing any material yet. I'll wait and see if they come up with something to fix it without grinding or cutting.

Where did you get your M8? I'm just wondering if it's set up the same, it seems every one that got there's from ER Polaris is pulling around 8150 consistently. Some one mentioned in another thread that the stock tack is +/- 300rpm but I wouldn't think it's that far off.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Since we are talking M sleds here, I was up at 127 on Saturday and the snow was EXCELLENT. We were screwing around in the flats on the Tokositna River carving up the powder and I was either getting snow ingestion into the intake or snow into the exhaust. AK-AWD, are you sure your exhaust was plugging? To me it seemed like a snow ingestion bog, but I've never had an exhaust that could get plugged. The snow out on the river was super light and fine and I was laying it over in the powder constantly.

Second, and I know there is a trenching thread in the main AC page, but AK snow is different from alot of other places. I'm still trying to figure out a good setup for getting up on top of the snow. My poor kitty got molested by two XP's on Saturday. We went to play up in the hills to the east of the river and they were consistently out climbing me and just plain got on top of the snow better. I'm not saying the kitty was sucking, but there was clearly a difference. I was tending to spin the snow out from under me and trench down while there were getting right on top. I'm going to try pulling the limiter strap down a notch, but I'm open to other suggestions to help my cat get up on the snow better. My setup on Saturday was: limiters out, front track shock fairly loose, rear at 140 psi. I've never fooled with my rear suspension settings, so its all new to me.

Last my Cat came from ERPAC and I'm getting the same RPM's as bgreen. I know (like mtnsld said) even at 7950-8050 I'm getting plenty of torque and HP but I'm also the kind of person that wants that other 150-250 RPM if I know they are there.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
yeah,

that fluffy chrystally snow is not where kittys shine, that is the only snow condition which the 16 wide track really shines. you can do anything you want but 16 wide on loose fluffy chrystally snow is just going to be better....

now every other snow condition i give to the 15 wide power claw :)

there are two different bogs, one when your windsheild vents get too much snow around them *i ocationaly have to whipe them free* and another when the exhaust is plugged (lot less likely but does happen)

i would definatly get frogskins to cover all your vents the alaska light fluffy snow will find a way in if not!

give your sled any kind of base and it will sail past them xp's!
-Aksnopro

Premium Features