• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 800 Summit X engine cutting out / gauges flashing

TSTEFF

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Just bought a 2008 Summit X and first time out the motor kept cutting out at higher rpms- 6200-8200 and the gauges began to reset and beep as if it just started. When I say it cut out, it REALLY falls on its face, not just a little hicup. Some of the other symptoms included the handwarmers being scorching hot even though the gauge shows them off and headlight dimmed or shut off when the cluster cuts out. Also many times the gauges would say "check key" that would go away when the throttle was used to bring up RPM just a bit. Also when it was really acting up bad, both gauges and motor cutting out, I wiggled the harness going up the handlebars and it seemed to make it worse.

I took cluster the pod off as well of the handlebars thinking I would find a broken wire and no such luck. I put it all back together and sled ran perfect, never cut out once but the cluster acted up again for the first 8 miles or so. The rest of the day it worked great. I am glad it ran good just nervous I didn't find anything and the problem is lurking until I am off trail a ways in the worst possible spot. Anyone else have something similar? Any idea if the guage problem and the motor cutting out are related? Any info would be great, thanks!

P

pyxle

Jan 27, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
Low Voltage

Sounds to me like the system is losing voltage as it runs - probably stator.

Check at any RED/PU wire for more than 13.0VDC, the one at the diagnostic connector under the oil tank is a good one. If it is falling below 12.0v, sometimes the gauge will re-set, headlights go dim, etc.

This could also be caused by a direct short - handwarmers, or the red wire at the voltage regulator rubbing on the rivet directly below the wire.

Check stator ohms (should be around 0.5 ohms) and check AC voltage output with any two yellow wires at the v.reg for about 20VAC cranking.

Hope this helps...

Premium Features