• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 clutching preferences

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Got a 2007 800R here, it's overreving and we have a 130-260 primary spring in there. I don't want to go any softer and was considering a different helix. right now its a 44 deg. If i went to a 47 deg it would put more initial track speed down and sink deeper into the sheave. this would help lower the RPM's. but my question is what about the 44/47 or 46/42??? how do these work in the doos. I understand how they work and what they do, but how do they perform in this sled do you guys like any of these or have any sugestions. basically I want to get my track speed up sooner and also lower RPM's in the high shift ratio. so I would guess the striaght cut 47.. comments are appreciated..

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Or get longer pins.....the stock '07 pins can't hold much weight. Cheaper than a helix unless you already have one.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
What track length and what type of riding?? If it's for the hills I would stay with a shallower helix and run more pin weight......or run a progressive helix (fairly wide spread) to get a good launch and help maintain RPM on the hills.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
1) Know what grams you have installed.
Here is a scale in Canada for $20 bux - you can't beat this with a stick.
2) Find a pin set that will offer you more grams and adjust pinweight.

There are 2 pins that sled was optioned with - which pins are installed?
The M6 setscrews are available from a fastener supplier or you can get them from me, I have recently sourced these out and offer them as a metric setscrew kit.

There is the Dalton LT pin kit that goes from empty 11g~17g full.
Dalton M-Pins that go from empty 14.5g~20.5g full.

Personally from an experience standpoint with the clutching on that sled, you would reveal higher clutch temperatures due to increased rpm fluctuation with the straight 47 than the 44.

If you want to play around with cheap "BRP" helix's then can call up Sylvain Laflamme. He has new BRP helix (bought up much of their old cvtech stock) and sells them for like $65 bux Canadian. No doubt that he'd have a 44/40 or a in stock or if you wanted to have some real fun, the 44/30 from an RT1000 to play with.

In the final analysis if you are going to stick with what you have at the present moment, add pinweight.
1/2g = approx 100 rpms under full throttle
1.0g = approx 200 rpms under full throttle
376505580.jpg

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Thx guys, I know it needs more weight but the pins in there are full, I could check which pins are installed but it might be easier to install 1.0mm over rollerr for more weight. I know it moves the arm in but it should help more with weight. I'll just go to a softer spring (Primary) if I have to..

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
What track length and what type of riding?? If it's for the hills I would stay with a shallower helix and run more pin weight......or run a progressive helix (fairly wide spread) to get a good launch and help maintain RPM on the hills.

its a 151 and yes mountain riding. but also around alberta..

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would also (if you havn't already) look close at the condition of both clutches....with your setup if you are overrevving I would be suspicious of something binding (bushing, rollers, arms etc...) causing it to over-rev.
If you get in/out of the throttle on a climb does it recover RPM quickly ??

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Thx guys, I know it needs more weight but the pins in there are full, I could check which pins are installed but it might be easier to install 1.0mm over rollerr for more weight. I know it moves the arm in but it should help more with weight. I'll just go to a softer spring (Primary) if I have to..

New adjustable pins are cheepy cheepy, only $40 canadian.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR

You are loading both sides of the pin so the screws stick out correct? Many don't know that you can use small set screws on the cotter pin side (I did this with my '07 and it worked well with a stock 44).

Have FUN!

G MAN

Premium Features