• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 Summit X 670

O
Jul 24, 2019
house
My primer is *hyper* sensitive and if I prime the engine even more than 1/3 of a prime, it floods.

What is happening that causes that.

I had the sled in and the techs rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the carbs, tried it and it started for them.

Last night I had two guys here to buy my X and it would not start, making a real horse's *ss out of me. They were nice about it but it was not good seeing as they drove 70 mi to buy it!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Pence, WI
forgot to mention that they were priming it a variation of times, each time 6-10 times.

I had a 500 that I had to be very careful not to flood it when priming.

First time starting, after it sets quite a while try starting without priming. I only used the primer when my 500 had set over night. Never after a pit stop.

If you over prime, pull the plugs and pull it over to clean it out.
Major thing I didn't like about the older SKIDOOS was the primer.

Chokes certainly were an improvement :juggle:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Sounds like it just flooded...I had a 98X, in warmer weather just a single prime and then maybe a squirt once it starts if it wants to die.
Turn off the fuel if it has a shutoff, hold throttle open and pull like a madman until it fires. All the rotary valve engines are prone to flooding.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I had one that the vent to the high altitude compensator got plugged and it would flood the engine, also reset the floats to shut off a little earlier not to flood facing down hill

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
also when using primer, pump until you feel fuel or hear it pump fuel and 2 exta pumps never no more than 3 pumps with fuel

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
ok
1 pump in the summer, 2-3 in winter...
If flooded, hold throttle wide open till she fires...
Only spark plug to run NGK BPR9ES gap to .016-.018" only...BJ

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
The 99x care float bowl arms were changed because of this reason. I had one back in the day and if it ever tipper over, or going down a steep hill and flooded, I'd have to pull that sucker over about 50 times. Besides that, still one of my all time favorite sleds.
I believe you can modify the arms, very easy to do, no new parts, but I can't quite remember what to do. I think the 98 arms were bent, and you just had to straighten them. Good luck.

Premium Features