• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1994 Indy 500 EFI troubles

K
Mar 9, 2016
I've got a 1994 Indy 500 EFI that I am struggling to get running properly. Here's a video of what I am seeing:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-nnHwUl3apJelZYUjFCRFd2eTQ

It starts and idles well, but its like its hitting a rev limiter at 4000rpm. Its getting spark in both cylinders, has 119# compression evenly between both cylinders. when I disconnect the fuel supply line and run the pump it shoots a steady stream of fuel.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

B
Nov 1, 2016
I had one of these and rallied it for several years. It does seem odd the way it pulses up and down like that. Assuming you tried new plugs. I don't know your experience level but first rule out the clutching by removing the drive belt and see if it revs up. Just be careful not to let it overrev. Any engine problem can be clutching, it's basically impossible to know the difference. It could be a broken primary spring, for example. I have had weird things like exhaust pipe full of water or gas, so if it still won't wind up with the belt off, check that. Could be a big puddle in there. Also take off the air box and make sure there's not a mouse nest in there or something. If none of that helps that's as far as I can help you. If it is the clutches, I can help diagnose and repair that. Since it's EFI it could be the fuel pressure regulator or the electric fuel pump is not pumping strong or consistent enough. With EFI it needs pressure, not just obviously flowing fuel.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Replace the battery. With out a good battery it will not rev up past 4000. One way to test before removing battery is to put a booster on the battery and see what happens.

Premium Features