• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 Mc hard to start after sitting while riding

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
Hey guys does anyone have any ideas as to things I can check on my sled. It's a 17 mountain cat and was a good sled until late last season when it became hard to start.
The sled will always start if it's coming from the garage to go play but while riding If you stop at a cabin or something it's hard to get running again the half hour break or if you load up at the end of the day and try to start it after the truck ride home it's also a bitch... If it's left over night and It's cool out good luck. It's almost like it floods, twice I've actually had to pull it all apart and drain fuel out of my cylinders before it would run again...

Are my injectors leaking or something else causing this?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It's just you.

It sounds like you have two different issues. Sitting while warm I'm pretty sure is causing vapor lock in the fuel line. It gets pressurized and the pump won't overcome it. This is the only sled I know of with the fuel line routed over the pipe. Dumb.

The flooding issue maybe the injectors getting overwhelmed and opening while the line is pressurized pushing a bunch of fuel in the cylinder. Just guessing on that one.

Next time it does it after running, check your plugs. In my case they're always dry. I've had a flooding issue like yours too but I think that was from running it hot on the way back to the truck. I rerouted my fuel line and hope to get out the next few days to see if I can get it to do it again. I carry a syringe with me to drop gas in a cylinder just fyi.

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
After reading your reply your experience sounds exactly like mine. My pipe wrap is shot as well at 4700 miles on the sled

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
4700 miles on the sled

And that right there is the single reason I haven't given up on this sled. :)

I've switched everything else out at this point. It's fuel line or injectors or both.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
so why doesnt this happen when they're new? what's the part that breaks down? gotta be something that wears in over time/use or they would have done it when new, and cat would have corrected it right away. these threads scare me every time mine won't start first pull because I forgot to plug my tether in ?
ive run mine without pipe shielding with no start issues, and aftermarket pipes don't seem to cause starting issues also. Is there snow inside hood or covering vents when this happens?

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I had the dealer go into the ECU and reduce the fuel at low RPM's

No more starting issues whatsoever

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Interesting. My closest cat dealer said cat doesn't provide software to reprogram fuel. I had to send my ECU back to minnesota to get it reflashed. I don't think that's my problem because adding fuel to a cylinder gets it going.

Snojet: Mine's done it since new it's just gotten way worse over time. There might be something to be said for the fuel lines getting old and losing some insulation properties too.

If it's what I think it is, there are a lot of variables..including what you have sitting on the right side of the sled. Can (ceramic coated or not), chaincase vs belt etc. I do know a buddy of mine with e-start says this is a completely foreign problem to him. Hasn't happened once. Does the whole system get voltage with an estart or just the starter solenoid?

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
Yea I've seen this before with my high mileage 14's as well, wish we could find a fix

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Interesting. My closest cat dealer said cat doesn't provide software to reprogram fuel. I had to send my ECU back to minnesota to get it reflashed. I don't think that's my problem because adding fuel to a cylinder gets it going.

Snojet: Mine's done it since new it's just gotten way worse over time. There might be something to be said for the fuel lines getting old and losing some insulation properties too.

If it's what I think it is, there are a lot of variables..including what you have sitting on the right side of the sled. Can (ceramic coated or not), chaincase vs belt etc. I do know a buddy of mine with e-start says this is a completely foreign problem to him. Hasn't happened once. Does the whole system get voltage with an estart or just the starter solenoid?

Probably just the dealers choice to help or not or maybe their tech saviness. They plugged into the usb with a laptop and reprgrammed it on the spot.

You also have to make sure to let it idle down before hitting the kill switch or it can flood and cause starting issues also.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Hey bopper, is your sled flooded every time it won't start or just when it's cold?

What about the 20 minute break times?

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
I'm not sure if it's flooded when it actually starts. The two times I had to rip it apart and drain the cylinders was after it sat outside overnight after a ride

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am not sure if I've had the same issue too but a few years ago at Togwotee there were a few times my 10 M8 wouldn't start after it sat 10-15 minutes while we were taking a break. After that I made sure to let it idle down for 5 seconds or so before I shut it off. Seemed to help a bunch and haven't had it happen again that I recall. Sometimes when it will not fire up after 3 pulls or so, primarily when cold, I hold the throttle wide open and it fires right up the next pull.

Also, I have heard ethanol fuel is more prone to vapor lock. Might be a coorelation there, esp if it the fuel line routing is subject to excess heat.

From the internet:
The vapor pressure of Ethanol is much lower than the vapor pressure of Gasoline. ... Therefore a critical vapor liquid ratio, which can cause vapor lock, will be reached at lower temperatures with Gasoline-Ethanol blends than with regular Gasoline.
Ethanol blending: How to prevent vapor lock

https://www.grabner-instruments.com › media › files › pdfs › application va...

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I remember on old Polaris mechanical oil pumps would go full rich when they wore out. seems like my 17 seeps oil when sitting if I fill the oil tank. could be something there? I never fill mine now, half tank can go two full rides. I pull up and hit the kill switch without idling down all the time. Premium non-e always unless its just a top off, even then I notice lazier starting for that ride. its devil juice!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
My 2010 always seeps oil when the engine was off, esp with a full oil tank. Done it since new. Dealer did a warranty repair but it still seeped. I too run about a half tank of oil and on the last ride of season I run it lower.

Premium Features