• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1 Attachment(s) Shafted at Paulson's in Lacey. Take your Gonnason's snowchecks ELS

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
Buddy and I go to the snow show....Ski-Doo dealer offers my buddy a leftover XP for $8695 out the door. We'll think about it, we say....

We leave the snow show and stop at another dealer on the way home to pick up some parts. My buddy is sitting on another XP and is approached by a salesman. Buddy tells salesman about the snow show offer and the salesman agrees to match it. He writes the agreed to price on one of his cards. We'll think about it, we say.......

Buddy decides that he wants sled.....I agree to help him through the process, as he hasn't bought a new ANYTHING in 30 years. He is going to pay cash.

Two days later, we call the salesman and agree to the 08 XP 154 (with all updates) for $8695 out the door. Salesman takes $500 deposit on credit card and says he'll call when the update is done.

Salesman calls and says that the sled is ready. Buddy informs salesman of his promotion choices.

Off we go to pick up the sled. I leave buddy to do paperwork and head over to the parts counter to get some stuff for my sleds. I return just as the paperwork is being finished, and ask buddy if he made sure that they got his promotional choices correct. Lady doing paperwork says that she just spent 10 minutes finding out about the warranty, and it's 1 year B to B, and 2 extra years of engine coverage. I explain that the promotional material I remember said 3 years free B to B on all eligible Summit models. Nope, says the lady, I must have been mistaken.

Once home, I went onto BRP's website and looked up the promo.....

Choose and TWO of the following options:

1) 3 year B to B warranty on summit.

2) Special financing......(not needed- paid cash)

3) $200 in accessories.

ALSO on the site is ANOTHER promo where you get a $250 gas card if you buy before November 9, 2008.

I call dealer the next morning and explain my concerns......Salesman says that in order to match the other dealer's price, they had to take the 3 year B to B warranty. What about the $200? (Salesman doesn't seem to understand that buyers get to choose TWO items, I had to explain it to him) Salesman says that they took the $200 as well.

THEN I throw out the $250 gas card. (Salesman doesn't seem to know about it). Salesman says that they took THIS TOO.

I don't know what the $$ difference between 2 year engine only coverage and the 3 year B to B is, but the $200 in accessories and the $250 gas card bring the total price of the 08 XP to $9145 PLUS the value difference of the 3 year b to b. An 09 XP 154 is 10,299 MSRP.

I explain that when we struck the deal, (OR DURING THE TRANSACTION) it was NEVER mentioned that the promotions would be taken away......Salesman says "you didn't ask". (You have to ASK if your warranty is going to be cut by 2/3??) He claims that they GAVE us an extra 2 years engine only warranty, and that that makes it an EXTRA GOOD DEAL. Salesman tells me that it's the engine I need to worry about anyway.......LOL

Even better is the fact that the two identical items that I ordered and paid for at the parts counter were a whopping 38% OVER Ski Doo's retail price.

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the salesman, I asked to be transferred to the parts counter. I explain that I was charged more than msrp for my parts. I also explain that the dealers OWN WEBSITE lists these parts for $39.99 (which ironically is Ski Doo MSRP). Parts guy says that that's the MAIL ORDER PRICE and that the in-store price is more due to the fact that someone (in the parts department) is involved. WTF?? He finally agreed to credit my Visa for the difference, but warned that it was only for "this time".

I understand that the dealer needs to make a living....My family ran a similar business for 35 years. 38% mark-up OVER MSRP???

Here is the Bill of Sale. Scan0018.jpg

What I didn't notice is the tiny words that say "Selling price reflects all manufacturers promotions. Lojak is non refundable". Does this include the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty??

What I also fail to notice is any money deducted from the price of the sled at the top of the page. IE: It isn't documented anywhere on the bill exactly what the value of "all manufactures promotions" really is.

Grant had explained to the salesman what his promotion choices were.

He also explained it to the lady who was doing the paperwork, just to be sure he got his b to b warranty. She argued that she had just spent 10 minutes looking it up and the promotion was 1 year b to b, and 2 extra years of engine only. That is what she wrote on the warranty registration.

AT NO TIME did ANYONE explain that they had taken ALL of Grant's promotional items until I called them the next day. They now claim that they GAVE Grant an extra 2 year engine only warranty as if he should lick their feet.

Why didn't the lady tell him that they had taken his promos and that they had generously given him the 2 year engine only warranty??

Maybe because we would have left without taking delivery of the sled??

12 months of B.E.S.T warranty is $940

Add the $200 in free accessories.

Add the $250 gas card.

Add the price that was agreed to WITHOUT any knowledge of the loss of the promos: $8697.99

$10,087.99 for a 2008 XP 154 Everest.

Oooops, let's not forget the 2 year engine only warranty that Grant was so graciously "given". Let's figure $400

$9687.99

Grant could've bought a 2009 and STILL got his promotions for a few $$ more.

Will those tiny words make this legal?? Maybe..........

Will we ever step foot in Paulson's dealership again?? NOPE.

Will I encourage everyone who had a SnowCheck sled at Gonnason's to take their delivery at Lynwood, I-90, Steel Dreams, or ANYWHERE but Paulson's??

YOU BET.

Last edited:
R
Lame ...

I've heard nothing good about Paulson's over the past few years ... they'd never get my money! Steel Dreams on the other hand has had really good reviews ... have your friend take that thing back and contact Gregg Hecht at Steel Dreams (360-757-4449); see what he can do for ya. Shady dealer transactions really pizz me off ... on a machine that needs recall/update work before you can even take delivery? It's re-goddamn-diculous!

Premium Features