• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Polaris RMK 800

stormfan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2010
Iowa
I purchased a "blown up" 09 RMK 800 cheap. The previous owner said the engine went down on a cold morning, after a short warm up. Had the motor rebuilt by the local dealer, only to have it go down again within 200 miles. Said it was warmed up proper the 2nd time, but the same cylinder scored piston on the exhaust side again. I am new to these newer engines, have built numerous pre 05 Polaris engines, with no trouble. Just wondering if anyone here can give me a couple of pointers of what to look for and things to do in particular for this engine. I see a ton of "fix it" kits available, are any better than the others. Any other things to do while it is apart as well. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Though I can't help a lot on the rebuild i highly recommend reading the increasing your IQ sticky in this thread. A lot of very good information. Most of that information I have applied.
As for my 09 I use the PCV (Power Commander 5) with the auto tune. I bought it form Dynotech and use their program.
The Bikeman pipe mod. and powder lite can.
Good 91 octane or higher ethanol free fuel. I add oil to my fuel as well. High quality oil. A quality low temp. grease. I grease all my sleds A LOT.

It has been a good sled. Bought a twin to it for my wife. Had a blown motor on it, but I had a 2012 motor with very low miles I put in it. So far so good on that build.
I wish you good luck with your new project.

Nooby

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Though I can't help a lot on the rebuild i highly recommend reading the increasing your IQ sticky in this thread. A lot of very good information. Most of that information I have applied.
As for my 09 I use the PCV (Power Commander 5) with the auto tune. I bought it form Dynotech and use their program.
The Bikeman pipe mod. and powder lite can.
Good 91 octane or higher ethanol free fuel. I add oil to my fuel as well. High quality oil. A quality low temp. grease. I grease all my sleds A LOT.

It has been a good sled. Bought a twin to it for my wife. Had a blown motor on it, but I had a 2012 motor with very low miles I put in it. So far so good on that build.
I wish you good luck with your new project.

Nooby

Did you convert the 2012 to a 4 injector engine, or did you leave it as a 2 injector engine and switched everything over too the 09?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Buying one of these can be a real bargain, put a mountain tek MTNTK fix kit in it and you will have a great sled on the cheap. Also add a power commander fuel controller to it and get the appropriate map loaded up to richen up the midrange. I would also check for intake leaks or possibly do a leakdown test to check crank seals just to be sure. I had a Dragon 800 intake manifold where the rubber started delaminating badly like the old ZX Skidoos used to do, even though it was not leaking yet, it would have, so I replaced it...

Then just ride it - great sled when running right!

Premium Features