• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 Twisted Turbo starting issues

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Got an 09 M8 Twisted PG Turbo. The guy I bought it from just rebuilt it 300 miles ago for maintenance but said I needed new plugs before I ride. So.....

I wanted to hear it run yesterday. Went out in a grass field. And the top end sounded like crap. Sputtery. etc. Went and got my Iridium 9 plugs from Carquest, put them in and it wouldn't start. 20-25 min of pulling. Nothing. And all of the sudden, it started and purred. Turned off. Pulled again, started right up. Ran it through the field to listen to it. Built boost, pulled, smooth, etc. Pulled into garage, sat for 10, pulled and pulled and 5 min later, it started. Then as I gave it throttle, it wanted to die. (Possibly a TPS issues as he put in a used TPS) Turned it off. Started back up, ran just fine, back out of garage, back in to other side of garage.

What am I missing?
Why won't it start??? I just started doing this after I changed plugs.
Is there some kind of vacuum issue related to the turbo that I am unaware of?

Any, all help. Thank you.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Cat has a heat temp sensor issue. When you get it hot and shut the sled off the motor continues to get hotter before it cools down. So while its HOTTER the ecu thinks its overheated and pulles timing. If you stop for lunch it will cool off and you wont have the issue, its the hot stalls and quick restarts. You need to wire in a waterproof toggle switch in line. Pick one of the wires on the temp sensor and cut it, add the switch. The temp sensor is on the back of the motor. When this happenes again shut the switch off pull the sled 3-4 times, switch it back on and it will fire up. Pulling it 3 times with the switch off tells the ecu its not hot and resets the ecu...
On another note, grabbing a lot of throttle with out riding it can cause flooding, if you build boost with out clearing it out it will flood the motor.

Jim

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Is that a Typo

Racin Station recomended the BR10EYA for my Turbo, they run cooler than the 9's.

on another note your Twisted kit probably has the Engine Temp Cutoff Switch already wired in. do u have a small toggle switch somewhere?

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Switch Start Sequence

With aftermarket by-pass switch:
Turn the temp. sensor bypass switch off(do not give it gas) pull it over till it pops, usually 1-3 pulls. Then turn the temp. sensor bypass switch back on hold it wide open and it should start first or second pull every time.

this is what works for me , every time

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Thanks for all of your input. I finally got it out on the snow last night. And it was cold. The temp never got about 110 and sometimes it would do exactly what it did running it on the grass in the summer, acted like it was too hot, pulled timing and shut off. Literally right as soon as I would let off the throttle to turn around or something. So I turned the bypass switch off and it ran, then killed it, switched it, rode it til it did it again.
It was also making a horrible noise on the top end. It didn't feel strong at all on the top end. You guys have any advice on that? I'm going through everything in my head. Could it be injectors? Powervalves? What?

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
I pulled the power valves yesterday. And I've honestly never seen dirtier power valves in my life. So I scraped all 1/16" of the carbon off of them and I will go through the rest of the little things to eliminate them before I ride tomorrow. The newer TPS might need 43 psi instead of 41 psi. But I'll get up there tomorrow and see what happens. The turbo is in good condition, all of that was gone through by the previous owner. I think the power valves would really mess up trying to create boost if they weren't right on the top end. It sounded a lot like my M1000 when the power valves gummed up on me. But I'll go from there and let you guys know what I find! Thanks a ton for the input!

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Back to the temp issues

So I cleaned the power valves and it ran great, watched the gauges like a hawk, everything was working great. Except the temp gauge quit displaying until I hit a bump, then later, it showed 170 degrees.... The most I ever saw it hit was 119-120. I was paying really close attention to my gauges and the snow was fluffy so it was cooling it well. So I freaked out, let it cool for an hour, ran fine. Got back home from driving 2 hours in rain/snow on an open deck, started it, temp gauge said 132 degrees. Ever since then, the temp gauge has never read the ambient temp (what it should be after sitting for days). Is it my temp sensor or my gauge??

Premium Features