• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rmk 800 is burning up ECU

Z
Sep 19, 2011
Figured I would start a new thread. I have had nothing but problems with my 2010 RMK Assault 800. It died on me last year and I have spent countless hours trying to get it running. Originally I thought it was a fuel issue and after trying a bunch of different things I decided to take it to the shop. Shop ran diagnostics on it and it appeared the ecu was bad. I ordered a new one, they are almost impossible to find. I out it in and the sled fired right up. After about 30 seconds I smelled burning plastic so I opened the hood and the ECU was smoking badly. I shut the sled off and have just assumed I have now ruined my newly purchased ECU. All I can think of is maybe a bad voltage regulator but the diagnostic did not mention anything about it. Also the voltage regulator was replaced about 100 miles ago.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
They are known for going thru voltage regulators. Are you sure you have the most current version of it? I think they were on like rev 6 when I had my 2009 assault.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
VR for sure. Do NOT use the non-polaris ones off eBay; the latest revision of the VR on Polaris parts online lookup has some kind of overvoltage protection so when it goes out it does not smoke everything.

I used to run the latest VR on my Dragon, and carried an earlier revision that I knew was good to get me out of the woods just in case. The latest revision was so reliable for me that I stopped carrying a spare.

I still have that spare... it is not the first / worst revision, but if I recall it is not the latest either so I only used it as a backup. If you want it I would send it to you for postage. But make sure you have the LATEST part number if you pick a used one up off eBay or anything, or better yet just buy the latest part number from a dealer.

Your ECU may still be okay, depends on how badly it heated up... if you put a new VR on it and it runs, just run it (maybe put some silicone over any exposed components if there are any)

Premium Features