• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Dragon - Caulking along fenders - need advice

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
I stripped this sled to the frame for powder coating. There was (is) this black caulk / sealant at the seams of the fenders and frame. THAT black crap does not want to come off the frame! Is that stuff stock and any secrets to getting it off. Heat does not effect it and it is adhered well.

Second question: if that sealant caulk is stock Where do I get it for the rebuild, stuff is impressive. :)

Third question: I've put some grind marks / scratches in the frame.....fastest way to remove them? Should I bother? Going to be satin black.

Thanks everyone....anxious to get this powder coated so I can start the rebuild.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Use dry ice to harden the caulk you can usally get dry ice at a local welding gas shop or bait stores usually have it. Then use a small hammer and screw driver to chip the caulk off. That or snadblast it, Most good PC places are going to lightly blast the chassis so they get good adhesion of the PC.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I scraped most of it off mine when I PC'd my chassis. I asked the powder coating guy if I needed to get the rest and he said no, the sandblasting would take care of it. As for scratches and such, the powder coating will fill them unless you really ground into the metal.

I didn't bother sealing it all back up and have had zero problems.

IMPORTANT: Do not powder coat the bulkhead cooler (if you have one) or the tunnel coolers.

Here's a few pics of mine, gloss black and red baron red:

I painted the inside of the tunnel with Rustoleum self-etching primer and then their gloss black spray can auto paint. It has adhered very well, it's on it 2nd season and there's no signs of it flaking or wearing.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It's just regular black RTV stuff... its on there to keep snow/water from coming in. If the seems are tight snow probably won't be an issue, but if you water skip you might want to make sure and reseal everything.

When I took mine off I just used a somewhat dull pocket knife and sliced it off then the sandblaster cleared the rest off.

sled_guy

Premium Features