• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800 rmk with fix kit bad tip in/ stutter

I installed the fix kit on my 09 800 april of 11, leaving the factory updated head on and running a PC5 with the 157 stoutner map. Ran really well at all elevations. In dec of 11 I put a SLP single on , still running the updated head and a SLP map(can't think of the number off hand but the most common one) it ran ok, was a little rich and was a dog at elevation. In march of 12 I then put on an 08 pre- updated head and had the 08 flash done to the ECU and am running the 162 stoutner map. I had previously ran the updated flash before the 08 flash. Now it runs excellent at elevation, pulls like it never has before but on the trail at lower elevation the throttle tip in is horrible at it is very stuttery. So bad it will almost throw you over the bars if not careful. Someone suggested to try and re sync the TPS to the power commander. Would the 08 reflash throw this off? I did have it synced when I first installed the PC5 originally. I was thinking of installing a switch and running another fatter map for lower elevation but from what I have seen the 162 map is one of richer maps throughout the fuel table. Any ideas?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I installed the fix kit on my 09 800 april of 11, leaving the factory updated head on and running a PC5 with the 157 stoutner map. Ran really well at all elevations. In dec of 11 I put a SLP single on , still running the updated head and a SLP map(can't think of the number off hand but the most common one) it ran ok, was a little rich and was a dog at elevation. In march of 12 I then put on an 08 pre- updated head and had the 08 flash done to the ECU and am running the 162 stoutner map. I had previously ran the updated flash before the 08 flash. Now it runs excellent at elevation, pulls like it never has before but on the trail at lower elevation the throttle tip in is horrible at it is very stuttery. So bad it will almost throw you over the bars if not careful. Someone suggested to try and re sync the TPS to the power commander. Would the 08 reflash throw this off? I did have it synced when I first installed the PC5 originally. I was thinking of installing a switch and running another fatter map for lower elevation but from what I have seen the 162 map is one of richer maps throughout the fuel table. Any ideas?

It could. I would retry sincing the PCV. Also, on these sleds when you drop down in elevation, you have to shut the sled off to reset the barometric sensor parameters in the ECU. Struthers told me, the ECU does not continue to compensate for drastic elevation changes that it's reset at each start up and that's it. I haven't verified this yet, but the simple shutting the sleds down during runnability problems only to have them go away after engine re-start makes me think he may be right.

The other thing is Powervalves, not sure if you're running them plugged or not, but the mapping in your PCV may not be compatatible (As is) either with SLP or Dynotechs map. I know I had to subtract quite a bit of mid range fuel with the 08 head, fix kit, and SLP Pipe.

The fix kit really runs...

J

jim9006

Sep 7, 2008
Cle Elum WA
home.comcast.net
IMO assuming all is in good order (TPS set/PC5 synced/ oil pump set/ fuel is good / etc… etc… etc..) I’d start with the map that gets you closest to what you want and start modifying it. From what I remember the 162 map as well as the SLP map were based off the original 2010 update flash. Now you’re using the original ’08 flash which has more than just jetting changes (fueling changes). It also has different timing and knock changes as well. Also don’t discount the value of using non-ethanol gas. I found it produced more stable results when twiking my PC5. And my sled just runs better with it.

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
dymotech

you should try and contactjim at dynotech. everybody that i know has really good luck with his maps. all u have to do is sign up on his website and he will send you a map that will fit your setup. he was looking for somebody with the fix kit installed, not sure if he ever did but i would bet that he has. hope that helps.

Thanks everyone, Diamond Dave- I am running with the exhaust valves plugged. I will put them back to stock set up and try it. I will also resync the tps to the PCV. I did run across a theory about the stutter being caused by a rich condition also. Its good to know about shutting the sled off then restarting when it acts up. I know you have done your homework on these sleds by reading your other posts. I don't want to give up on this thing just yet, there is only 1200 miles on it!
I am a member of Dynotech but have not been on his site for a while.. I will have another look. His 157 map worked very well without the pipe and 08 head.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I have a stutter/bog from a dead stop after rktek drop in kit/head install runs really strong after sled is moving, I plugged my power valves at same time of install, I'm thinking that's my issue, I have unplugged power valve hose and waiting for snow to test it. Btw my tps is new and properly set with polaris tool. I only plugged the power valves trying to diagnose top end bog.. I had a bad tps sensor(open resistance at WOT) clogged fuel filter, bad voltage regulator and lots of piston/cylinder clearance. All that happened aprox. 1000 miles. let us know about the power valves.
Food for thought! Voltage reg went first... Did that damage the tps?

After looking at the sled this past weekend it appears my stutter is the mag side cylinder cutting out. It is also intermittent. When the problem happened in the mountains we were in a blizzard condition and were trying to get off the hill. I do have a koso egt guage but never noticed the temp drop on the one cyl at the time. Only after testing it around home recently did I notice it. In the four times trying it at home, 2 times it ran very well. Crisp and no cut out. I also resynced the PC5 to the tps and it will still cut out. The strange thing is that when I was at elevation it never cut out at all. Coincidence? maybe. I also checked the stator this past weekend with my meter and it is fine. looked for bare wires from the bar warmers and kill switch as well as the wiring on the plate that holds the electronics. It all looks good. Now I am going to add another ground strap from the plate the VR is mounted to down to the bulk head. Am thinking also maybe the capacitor is no good as the one morning it took probably 20 pulls to start the sled, uncommon for this machine. I have ruled out the 08 flash not compatible with the 162 stoutner map because when this thing runs on 2 at lower elevation it really runs! Maybe a bad injector? was going to swap injectors side to side but will try the simpler stuff first. Anyone know the ohm specs for the coils and wires? sorry for the long post

Took the sled to the dealer and had them flash it back to the Jan '10 flash. Loaded the slp map back in it. This thing has never run so good, at low and high elevation! The dynotech 162 stoutner map has alot of fuel in the mid and my sled does not like it. lol I know it runs well in other machines. I'm done for the time being messing with this thing!:face-icon-small-hap

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
The 162 stoutner mao is way too rich as far as I'm concerned. Run the SLP map for the single pipe, it's much leaner but still fatter (safer) than stock. Works excellent with my fix kit.

K
Dec 29, 2010
Please tell me there's a definitive answer to this issue. I've currently got a 5 flash EGT code, tried plugged and unplugged powers valves(no help/difference), purchased a PCV with slp's 70-216A map. Sled has help update, full slp system. Not sure which flash is on the ECU. Can anyone reliably say a particular ECU must be used for a decent running sled? ugh! Can we not flash firmware without having Polaris's digital wrench?! is there at least a list of available flashes so I know what to ask for when I am forced to go the dealer?

I have not tested/replaced/set my TPS yet, probably because I'm trying to decide whether I want to pay $150 for an EGT sensor first. (I think 5% rich EGT failure is probably fine, but please correct me if I'm wrong.) Should I wire in a resistor like some say? It's just a K-couple thermistor, so they all have exact same specs. Has anybody found or built an alternative from A-parts store or HVAC retailer? http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-190476.html too.

It's hard to tell whether it is just losing a cylinder, or whether some type of TPS thing, or lean/rich, or something with "computer/altitude" because shutting it off and starting does seem to have some effect. grounding?

Thanks to everyone on the net, there's quite a bit of info out there. I can't believe a person can't get the maps without being a "premium"/controlled$$$ snowest member. anyone else have a list or database of pcv maps so I can begin ruling in/out the lean/rich stuff?

I suppose it's time to get a LCD display and tune, or autotune and EGT sensor and a TPS sensor. Should I add a voltage regulator to the shopping cart?....

Did I miss anything? :) TIA guys and occasional girl! oh yah, feathering thru the burps/stutter/cutout is still sweet. riding in April, and lets be honest this thing rips hard lines. like pull my arms out. wet snow makes it like you have a velcro rocket tied to your rib cage.
kc

Last edited:
Premium Features