• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 summit leaking antifreeze

D
Jan 23, 2013
My 2008 summit 800 was very hard to start(it always wanted to die, so you had to baby the throttle). When it got warm it would run fine but idled at 800-1000 rpm. Took it out to Cooke City and it had almost no power. Could get it up to 7000 rpm but was gutless(especially when climbing). All of sudden it started bogging out really bad and then died and locked up. Left a trail of antifreeze and antifreeze was all over the bottom of the sled. I think i blew a gasket. But is a cylinder seized too? What should i all start looking at for issues?

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Pull the plugs and look at them, am guessing you're gonna have one all gray and nasty looking versus what the other one looks like. Most likely you lost a cylinder, time for a new top end. :sad:
Sucks, seen it often over the years.
As far as the antifreeze, I'd start looking for a blown gasket on the crankcase, believe the 08's had antifreeze leakage problems from various clamps on the coolant lines to the heat exchanger on the tunnel, those stock squeezed on clamps didn't seal well, I watch mine on my 09.
May have blown a cylinder base gasket and leaked coolant into the crankcase, contributing to a seizure.
Good luck. Darn new chassis make it a pain pulling top ends, probably want to haul it to a shop if you're not adept at rebuilding top end. Probably want to have crank looked at also.

Last edited:
Premium Features