• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 rmk 700

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have 1000 miles on mine and really like it. Bought at the end of the 06 season. I knew the motor was a one year wonder but if all goes bad, I could always change the top end to a 900.

After 150 miles, I replaced the intake with a Timbersled intake kit. Added an SLP pipe and silencer (with reprogram) Powder Pros and Holz Spindles. The intake and pipe took 27 pounds off the front. Skis and spindles made the stearing less work. I knew the sled would be heavy in the front and steering had been an issue for many. I did my homework and find that this set up works really well. Under 500 pounds, ton's of low end, easy to ride. For preventative measures, I had the clutches redone (see the clutching threads from Indy Dan) and added a vent (4" Flo Rite) in front of the clutch to keep cool air under the hood.

Ultimately, if you do most of the items above, you will allow the sled to run to it's potential without loosing reliability. Yes, it's a bummer that the out of the box config holds in heat, might be hard on belts and is heavy on the front. I got into it expecting all this. However, the price was too good to pass up. After most of the above, I have a sled that is easier to carve turns with and weigh close to the same as the 06 Summit 800 I considered at the same time. And I have close to the same $$ into it. I test rode both sleds, same day, same place, same variety of riding. The RMK was the better of the two to begin with. IMO - Better handling in the snow, better riding suspension when you have to ride home over the washboards down the mountain. The changes make it even better.

Ran my sled with a 07 Dragon 155 - if I had the extra 1/2" of lug (a 2 1/2" snow check track) I could have gone anywhere the 07 did. And gotten there at the same time. I rode the 07 too. The 07 felt like a typical domestic Polaris motor (I've had many Po 6's, 7's, 8's in the past and liked them). The 07 motor feels like it belongs in a crotch rocket, my 06 feels like a diesel.

Great sled if the price is right !

Ditto to what frntflp said. I have an 06 700 sc Love the sled but you do have to put another 1000-1500 bucks into it to have a great sled. 6000 for a demo sled is not really a bargain IMOP. I'd bet you could get closer to 5000. Good luck and I think you'll be happy with it.

P
Dec 4, 2007
Redmond, Wa
I have the same 06 700 151 and it is one hell of a sled. I have the SLP single pipe set and flowrites and pod's. It's really a great sled i have never had a problem with it beside's blowing out my front shock's on a landing. My dad just got a new 08 700 so we will see how they compare.

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
My 12 year old boy has one. Not a bad sled. bought it new. the only trouble in two full seasons has been belts. Polaris sent me the new style and no problems after I installed it. Some say its a good sled if you put money into it but I have an M7 and M8. Put lots of money into these also to make them better

Upgrades are
SLP can - sounds great
SLP intake
Holtz spindles - not worth the money

only down fall is it nose dives in the deep when you let off the gas.

Boomshaw

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2007
San Jose, California
A good sled

I love my 2006 700 144". As has been said, they need some work to be top-notch but it was worth it to me. Also, as has been said, they run like a diesel, not like a banshee. Good grunt.

Improvements that will make that sled rock;

1) Replace skis with Powder Pros or Powder Hounds. I prefer Powder Hounds by Slydog because they also help the somewhat hard steering on this sled get much easier. The ski change will help you float that heavy front end and will dive less on throttle release. ($350)

2) Remove that 10# radiator and associated hoses from the engine compartment. It is a 10# anchor at the very front of the sled and practically worthless as a real radiator for cooling. Your sled will run cooler than it did before this change. Remember to always use scratchers though to help with trail cooling and to keep your hyfax cool on the trail. Do not leave the unused loop from the radiator in the system the way that SLP shows in their instructions. ($20-40)

3) Replace your front track spring with one from Carl's. It will keep some more front end dive off of your sled and make it generally feel lighter on the front end. ($30)

4) Get the Timbersled vent screens for your glove box cubby (behind the silencer) and the left hand cover (behind the clutch) and begin to let ANY of the hot air that can flow out of the engine compartment, out. These holes are already waiting for you to remove the stupid covers and replace them with a screen and let some hot air flow out! ($55)

5) Gut your air box if fuel injected and save a couple of more pounds off the front while gaining just a bit more air. (free)

6) Add any and all after market engine compartment venting that you are willing to live with. Sled runs cooler, belts last longer, power stays bigger, mileage improves slightly. Buy the best quality you see. There is a difference in how the product fits and holds up. (variable costs)

7) Replace silencer with any after market one and save at least another 13 #s off the front of the sled and run a bit cooler also. ($250)

You could also replace the pipe but I am of the belief that without other engine upgrades you probably won't see much if any improvement for the cost.

You can also try the Holz spindles at this point if you still feel the steering is too heavy but I doubt it with Slydog skis. I have the spindles and they save a couple pounds but I would not buy them for that reason. ONLY if you felt the steering was still too hard for your taste. I got mine before I tried the Slydog Powder Hounds.

After that, add all the intake filters that you can stand at the instrument console so that she breathes deep from behind the windshield where the air is cold and protected from most of the powder.

$1000 added any way you wish will make this sled rock! You should be able to do better than $6000 for a dealer demo at this point in time though.

B
Nov 27, 2007
700 Rmk

Have SLP pipe and can, Florites, 3" bar riser and just put in a set of Better Boards from F-bomb racing. The boards and bar riser are a must. I also agree with the rest of the guys in that a pipe and can really wake up the motor. I went 800 miles before my belt died. I haven't had the issues that the 900's did. You will have a great time with the sled. Just beware in the powder b/c the stock boards build up then buck you off.

Dec 13, 2007
Oregon
I have 1100 miles on my 06 700 151, I have not had any problems with it at all. You definitely need to raise the handle bars, get rid of the radiator and change the skis. as far as the pipe goes?? I have out run the same sled who had the pipe from slp, so I dont think you will see that much improvement with just the pipe. just my 2 cents !

Premium Features