• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 REV 800 HO idle problems

L
Nov 12, 2014
Hi guys,

I have a '06 REV 800 HO (Summit Adrenaline 151") which I recently did a top end rebuild on (new pistons, rings, cylinders honed.) Everything is stock except for an SLP can. Pilots 17.5, mains 440, needle 9DGI13-58. Stock fuel screw position is 1.5 out, slides are open 2mm as per shop manual, needle in stock position (middle/third notch.) The carb boots and reeds look like they're in good condition.

At around 1500' it seems to have problems idling, always wants to drop down and I have to keep tapping the gas to keep it up. The plugs are EXTREMELY wet. In the alpine (6-7000') it has no hope of idling at all, have to hold WOT when starting, very gurgley in the bottom end, poor fuel consumption and very smoky. Top end of the throttle range seems okay, nice and tan colored on the plugs.

Turning the fuel screws in to 3/4 out seems to help a bit, it will idle at okay at 1500' but still needs attention in the alpine or it won't idle. Plugs are still very wet and bad fuel consumption.

From what I've read on the forum here, the issue could be a loose Y-pipe or clogged pilots (which should be replaced.) Would the stock 17.5 pilots still be the right ones? Should I move up (or down) in pilot size if it's running really rich? Anything else I should check?

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Choke cable misadjusted or plunger hanging? Sounds like it is too rich at idle? Make sure the choke cable has a little play before moving the plungers.

L
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, it's definitely running too rich at idle. Good point on the choke plungers, I'll check them out and see if they're getting hung up or the cable is holding them open some! Thanks!

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
RICH

If you have more than 2000 miles the inlet needle and seats may need to be replaced. This will cause the exact symptoms you cite. These machines run great with 17.5 pilots, so that is not the issue.

L
Nov 12, 2014
Hey eddy, yep it has probably 3000mi on it. When you say inlet needle and seats, which parts are you referring to exactly? The needle jet?

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Premium Features