For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: REV Gen 4 For the 2017 and newer REV Gen 4 Sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
bcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond repute
Default 850 Belt life - A band aid Journey

Hi team,

Just to follow up on this post i originally put up with my 2017 850 (link below): I figured I'd give some history, and my thoughts on the My2019 belt life updates.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432597

Following the post above, I did get my alignment corrected, and it delivered no improvement to my belt life. I think it actually got worse. I ended up trading my 2017 in for a 2018 850 which obviously had the My2018 belt life upgrades. This delivered some improvement to belt life, but it was still totally disappointing.

I would say the My2018 updates took me from 100km per belt to 200 km per belt.

On the 2018 sled my alignment was spot on. I can confidently say that this is not the global issue with this sled, although it may be a compounding issue on some sleds. I spent considerable time playing with different clutch calibrations to see if we could refine shift consistency to stabilize peak rpm, minimize over rev, and improve back shift. I would say this process got me closer to 300 km per belt.

For all those wanna be sled mechanics out there, we don't need your thoughts on belt deflection, or belt break in procedure.

My opinion after running hard at belt issues on 2 years of these selds, is that the fundamental issue is excessive engine movement / vibration due to the long stroke 850. BRP is trying hard to counter act this with their "wobble clutch", and continually stiffening motor mounts in each years Belt life updates.

unfortunately, upon watching the unveiling of the MY2019 belt life upgrades, I've had to move on to a mountain cat as BRP has only confirmed to me that there is no way to correct the vibration in the 850 power plant...only band aids to put over top of it.

As can be seen in the 2019 updates, BRP is again stiffening motor mounts, however it clearly doesn't solve the base issue of excessive motor vibration. This which is confirmed by the fact that their second update is a fan clutch and radical air movement technology to run past the clutches to deal with what they know is excessive heat being generated by the engine vibration. The 3rd update of the belt guard is nothing more than a distraction, which is confirmed by them in their roll out and not a wide spanning issue.

At the end of the day, if you ride the 2019 850 hard in the mountains, i would predict 200-400 km per belt. The regular rider may be able to get around 1000-2000 km. The disappointing part here is that on the xm, these same riders now getting 1000 - 2000km, used to get 3000 - 5000 km per belt. BRP will isolate the hard riders and rider blame, and eventually you will be on your own with an under performing machine, paying for belts, and dealing with the compounding wear and tear of a constantly overheated and shock loaded crank.

Good luck boys.

Last edited by bcpowder; 04-19-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: SKidoo belt life, alignment, vibration, 850 etec summit

4 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcpowder For This Useful Post:
freekweet mods (04-20-2018), rulonjj (04-21-2018), yamikilr (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Currently: Never enough snow!!!
BILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond reputeBILTIT has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the mountain cat...

All kidding aside, good to hear some honest info/thoughts/opinions.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

2000 440 xc sp 136 (EDGE)
2003 800 RMK 162
2004 910 PRO-XR 121x1.75", Wheelie Machine!!!
2011 LRod 13.6 800 ProRMK 3"PC KMOD/Raptors kmod 37" arms Ti can

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to BILTIT For This Useful Post:
DDECKER (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Currently: pow hunting on the 850
sledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead_24_7 has a reputation beyond repute

You are most likely right, unfortunately. Which most likely put me on a Alpha Cat or dare I say a Pro 850 in the next year or 2.

I also had 2 model years of 850 blown belt issues. 14 belts between the 17,and 18 both around the 850-950 mile mark.

Band aids on a chassis flaw to cover over the flaw, does not fix the flaw obviously.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Currently: Garage Riding
DITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond reputeDITCHBANGER has a reputation beyond repute

Alpha cat is tempting, buddy just ordered one, doo is on the 3rd year and still doing updates to a problem that should have never been a problem from the get go.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to DITCHBANGER For This Useful Post:
sledhead_24_7 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Basic Member
Illinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Belt life

If engine mounts are the "real" issue, why did the 2017 trail sleds with soft mounts have a much lower failure rate? Proper clutch calibration is needed (which shouldn't be a big deal), and proper venting, which all sleds need. The biggest issue I believe, is alignment under load. How do you know your alignment is spot on under load? How do you know if it's in spec at rest when the fixed sheave has .024 run-out built in?

The Following User Says Thank You to Illinoispowder For This Useful Post:
Daag44 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Clutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jumping ship kinda

This is why I snow checked 2019 Alpha1 & 2019 850 Freeride 137" with shot. I really liked the 850 chassis / power ish but I have to spend time and money just to get it to run with my buddy's 2018 Arctic Cat 800. I think the motor has more power then the Cats she's just losing way to much from crank-track. We road that Alpha1 and it smoked my 850 head to head up the hill and the Alpha1 was still in break in. No messing with clutching & the shocks don't need to be replaced before riding. I'm a diehard Ski-Doo rider or at least was haha. Sad to say but that cat just works better for me with the power & handling on the hill. Can't wait to come back to Ski-Doo once they get it figured out. Still love Doo that's why I got me that 850 Freeride 137" with shot love me that shot haha. You should have seen the disappointment in my father haha.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clutched Films For This Useful Post:
rulonjj (04-21-2018), summ8rmk (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Currently: Waiting for winter
Adam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutched Films View Post
This is why I snow checked 2019 Alpha1....
Man, I hope we get some more rides in next year. I wanna see that thing.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:50 AM
Basic Member
apex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond reputeapex 9420t has a reputation beyond repute

Wow getting smoked by cats. Something I just haven't seen and I ride with a lot of 18 mtn cats something must be wrong with your 850

Old 04-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Basic Member
bcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond reputebcpowder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoispowder View Post
If engine mounts are the "real" issue, why did the 2017 trail sleds with soft mounts have a much lower failure rate? Proper clutch calibration is needed (which shouldn't be a big deal), and proper venting, which all sleds need. The biggest issue I believe, is alignment under load. How do you know your alignment is spot on under load? How do you know if it's in spec at rest when the fixed sheave has .024 run-out built in?
I think the engine mounts are an attempt to tame the real issue of engine vibration. I don't think the mounts are the "real" issue.

The alignment spec is +/- 1.8mm. .024inches is 0.6mm. with that being said, you can take measurements at a few rotation spots, and take the mean value.

To answer your question about alignment under load, all I can do is ensure the machine is set to spec, with the front dimension being 3mm greater than the rear to accommodate the movement when loaded.

BRP is full of very smart people. If the fix to all their problems was simply an alignment fix under load through motor mounts...it would have been solved last year in the MY2018 Belt life updates. The new mounts for 2019 will be stiffer, and will pull out some more vibration from the belt, but it won't be enough in my opinion.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Premium Member
Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,601 Posts
winter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond repute

Here's where I think BRP overthought the whole clutch/belt relationship...
The engineered primary clutch "wobble" to offset engine reciprocation in the up/down axis is a great idea. BUT... The amount of sheave wobble is fixed. The amount of engine movement is variable. ONLY when the engine movement matches the "engineered" amount of movement will the "wobble" work as intended. At ALL other times the primary sheave will be acting similar to excessive crank run-out and basically be scrubbing the belt. This will massively increase temps and shorten belt life.
Even with the proper motor mount hardness, when the belt is under more (or less) tension between the 2 clutches, this will also effect how much up/down movement the engine will see as it pulls on the mounts. Again....varying the relationship between the wobble and engine movement which must be stable and consistent to be effective.
They need to stabilize the engine and eliminate the sheave wobble design unless they can guarantee a consistent amount of engine movement regardless of RPM, engine output, belt tension and motor mount condition. I don't see that as being possible.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to winter brew For This Useful Post:
BIG JOHN (04-21-2018), blastco2 (05-28-2018), Blk88GT (04-20-2018), freekweet mods (04-22-2018), Matte Murder (04-21-2018), MountainTrashCat (04-21-2018), Ol Boondocker (05-03-2018), PaulAnd (04-20-2018), White Rad (04-22-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:26 PM
Basic Member
Ski-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond reputeSki-doo#1 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 04-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Basic Member
Daag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Daag44 For This Useful Post:
Ski-doo#1 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Currently: WTF mother nature?
Basic Member
clutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Currently: Resisting the urge to screw with people...
Thanked 1,130 Times in 588 Posts
Matte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matte Murder For This Useful Post:
Daag44 (04-21-2018), MountainTrashCat (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Basic Member
Daag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-21-2018, 11:41 PM
Currently: Waiting for Ski Doo Warranty
White Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Rad For This Useful Post:
d8grandpa (05-07-2018), sledhead_24_7 (04-22-2018), Wheel House Motorsports (05-01-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 AM
White Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Rad has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to White Rad For This Useful Post:
blastco2 (05-28-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Chadly has disabled reputation

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chadly For This Useful Post:
Daag44 (04-22-2018), Ski-doo#1 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 PM
jvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond reputejvb has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Currently: Where o where did all the snow go??.
Yella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond reputeYella Belly has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Yella Belly For This Useful Post:
Ski-doo#1 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Currently: Watching it melt!
Basic Member
BIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond reputeBIG C has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BIG C For This Useful Post:
Daag44 (04-22-2018), Ski-doo#1 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Currently: want pow
paulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond reputepaulharris has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to White Rad For This Useful Post:
justinkredible56 (04-25-2018), paulharris (04-24-2018), sledhead_24_7 (04-24-2018), summ8rmk (04-23-2018), Wheel House Motorsports (05-01-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Currently: summer sucks
i'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond reputei'llDooit has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to i'llDooit For This Useful Post:
rightjake (05-07-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to White Rad For This Useful Post:
bkm20x (04-24-2018), Clark42 (04-24-2018), d1100t (04-24-2018), duggrant (04-26-2018), Ken Climb (09-25-2018), no_uh (04-25-2018), sledhead_24_7 (04-24-2018), Snowmow (04-24-2018)