Polaris: Pro-Ride 2010 and up, all models in the Pro-Ride chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Currently: Working to ride...
Basic Member
TransDoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2013 Pro RMK 800 Basic Engine Mods

Hi all. New to the forum here.

I just bought a bone stock 2013 Pro RMK 800. I want to do a few basic mods to tailor it to my style and preferences (plus, I can't leave anything alone...).

Engine mods planned are pretty basic. I'm planning on a fix kit (not sure which package...open to suggestions), a set of MDS 13.1:1 heads, and a SPI carbon fiber can. The sled only has about 600 miles on it, so I'm not super worried about the top end just yet, but I will probably go ahead and "kit" it and do the mods before the snow flies.

As far as the rest of the sled, there's a ton of good info on here, but I was hoping some first-hand suggestions and recommendations. I ride in NE Washington/North Idaho/NE Oregon neck of the woods, roughly 2200' at the absolute minimum (home), but mostly from, say, 4-7K most of the time, but up to 8-9K at times. I prefer boondocking and tree riding to straight-line hillclimbing, but do quite a bit of both.

Thanks for the help, and great forum!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Currently: <<In-House PolarisTechnician not as involved in the shop
Thanked 1,484 Times in 867 Posts
diamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond repute

A Transmission Guy eh? I retired early from the industry after 22 years.

Go with the Fix Kit from MTNTK. Do not waste your time with anything else. I've installed about 25 of these kits with that same head and other's and they work great for our riding altitude, area's. They run way better than a stock set.

I do recommend having the injectors flow tested while you're out. Dr. Injector or Witch Hunter. Injector placement in these motors lends to incredible build up of carbon deposits prematurely. And '13's are the leanest map of all Pro's.

I recommend running the stock can. They're only 12lbs and run well.

IndyDan has a new honing procedure that looks very inviting. He says either use this or use nothing. Ring wear is an issue with this motor.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
A Transmission Guy eh? I retired early from the industry after 22 years.

Go with the Fix Kit from MTNTK. Do not waste your time with anything else. I've installed about 25 of these kits with that same head and other's and they work great for our riding altitude, area's. They run way better than a stock set.

I do recommend having the injectors flow tested while you're out. Dr. Injector or Witch Hunter. Injector placement in these motors lends to incredible build up of carbon deposits prematurely. And '13's are the leanest map of all Pro's.

I recommend running the stock can. They're only 12lbs and run well.

IndyDan has a new honing procedure that looks very inviting. He says either use this or use nothing. Ring wear is an issue with this motor.
Thanks for the advice! Like I said, I've been out of the game for quite a while, and I appreciate it.

Yes, I've been building transmissions for 30 years or so now. But mostly Dodge and Ford diesel automatics these days. They're my real bread and butter builds...hundreds of them. It's a living...!

Is it worth the extra money to get the lightweight piston Fix Kit? A hundred extra bucks. Worth it...?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:21 PM
Currently: Internet Rmkpro 800apprentiship
Basic Member
peaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond repute

I do recommend having the injectors flow tested while you're out. Dr. Injector or Witch Hunter. Injector placement in these motors lends to incredible build up of carbon deposits prematurely.
Dave do you have a link to those injector places? Or do Polaris dealers do testing and servicing on injectors .

Old 10-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Currently: Not set.
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

the other two mountain manufactures don't require you to add a "fix kit" to make their sleds run as advertised. so why would you take a know flawed setup over a proven other?

Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Currently: is a long track addict
tuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond reputetuneman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliki View Post
the other two mountain manufactures don't require you to add a "fix kit" to make their sleds run as advertised. so why would you take a know flawed setup over a proven other?
It's not as much of a flaw as the internet let's on. In fact, I've seen significantly more broken down Doos and Cats out west than Poo. And, where I ride, there are significantly more Polaris than the others. That's my personal experience, anyway. Not what I read on the internet...

Old 10-10-2017, 07:36 PM
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
It's not as much of a flaw as the internet let's on. In fact, I've seen significantly more broken down Doos and Cats out west than Poo. And, where I ride, there are significantly more Polaris than the others. That's my personal experience, anyway. Not what I read on the internet...
glad you make it out west a few times poor bastage.
When i ride the great lakes i see more broken down poos than cats and doos......LMFAO.

a few of the fix kits are using cat HO pistons to fix it. JFYI. I have installed a few...

Last edited by kiliki; 10-10-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,116 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliki View Post
It's far easier to fix an engine (If one feels the need?) than fix all the chassis flaws of the other three manufactures.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Currently: <<In-House PolarisTechnician not as involved in the shop
Thanked 1,484 Times in 867 Posts
diamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond reputediamonddave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceofwork View Post
I do recommend having the injectors flow tested while you're out. Dr. Injector or Witch Hunter. Injector placement in these motors lends to incredible build up of carbon deposits prematurely.
Dave do you have a link to those injector places? Or do Polaris dealers do testing and servicing on injectors .
I do use the kit with the lighter pistons

Mountainhorse used to have a link for Witchunter. I just take mine into Dr. Injector as they are local.

Polaris does not have this ability.

Found there's.

http://www.witchhunter.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to diamonddave For This Useful Post:
peaceofwork (10-13-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Currently: Internet Rmkpro 800apprentiship
Basic Member
peaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond reputepeaceofwork has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-02-2018, 12:52 AM
Currently: Thinkin Snow! Bought APro Rmk Love this Sled
wildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond reputewildcard28 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 08-30-2018, 09:16 AM
Currently: Back in the mountains
Thanked 1,142 Times in 428 Posts
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-31-2018, 09:03 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 08-31-2018, 02:34 PM
Currently: Waiting for snow...
SayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond reputeSayatodaU.P.eh? has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-31-2018, 07:40 PM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,116 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 10:56 AM
gtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond reputegtwitch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-06-2018, 05:43 AM
Basic Member
simnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Currently: waiting for the big dump!
Basic Member
sledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond reputesledtahoe has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register