• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Layering - best mid layers

D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
So I got myself and my wife some of the new Klim base layers. They are really nice, and can be used for so many other activities. I am totally dumb founded by the amount and styles available for mid layers though and don't know where to start. I would like to get both my wife and I a set for warmer days and a set for those sub zero days. What have you all used and what do you like? We both have insulated jackets and bibs, I know I may get too warm at times, but I don't think it will be an issue for my wife as she will be mostly trail riding.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Regardless of brand go with a synthetic material such as POLYESTER , LYCRA , NYLON , SPANDEX

The 21st century fabric is still MICRO FLEECE

Creates an air barrier where AIR is the lightest / best insulation

Plus the fleece fabric allows moisture to wick away from body.

There are different weights of MICRO FLEECE so you can go with one thicker fabric on cold days or buy several thin items and layer them taking off one as it gets warmer.

Last edited:
R
Oct 10, 2014
I haven't worn any insulated gear in years, even on the coldest of days. Klim is very good, base & mid layers. I wear the extreme bibs and powercross pullover. Where the base layer, then the Everest Mid layer. Never get cold. Wore this same thing running Cains Quest when it was -40 degrees out. Its a good set up.

What I like about it is you can peel layers off on the warm days.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
I wear Under armor base layer and klims everast pants and coat midlayer with either insulated or uninsulated outside gear, depending on temp.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Like most, I always wear a shell and varying layers underneath.
Wife otoh has a double insulated Cat parka with a zip out insulated liner. Coat is 2" thick I swear! She's never too warm unless it's like 35 and sunny, lol.
Best mid layers are fleece, down or wool.
I usually wear or pack a fleece layer most days. Cold out like getting to 0, the wool comes out. Army surplus wool pants and a wool flannel under the shell.
Really cold and the down vest goes over the wool under the shell.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I have klim uninsulated shells. For base layer underneath the pants I wear Under Armour cold gear I have never needed more. Up top for base layer I use a combination of very thin compression shirt along with Under Armour cold gear. If it's cold I will put on a very light klim midlayer pullover. I cover all this with a klim jersey because I feel it helps with movement under the jacket. I carry a stowable shell and extra thin midlayer in backpack.

do it like you mean it.
crap, how did you break that?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Being a mountain rider, I don't wear a mid layer. But my base layers are always Ice Breaker merino wool. The stuff is far superior to any of the polyester stuff. Sierra Trading Post always has it on clearance. Get that, as long as you have a quality coat and bibs like Klim/Motorfist, and you don't need mid layers.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
So I got myself and my wife some of the new Klim base layers. They are really nice, and can be used for so many other activities. I am totally dumb founded by the amount and styles available for mid layers though and don't know where to start. I would like to get both my wife and I a set for warmer days and a set for those sub zero days. What have you all used and what do you like? We both have insulated jackets and bibs, I know I may get too warm at times, but I don't think it will be an issue for my wife as she will be mostly trail riding.

What are you using for outerwear? That will make a difference as to what you should wear for a mid layer. What type of riding do you do and how aggressive?

D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
I have a Kinetic jacket and Tomahak bibs. I would say my riding is a mix, I will trail riding in N. MN and boondocking. I also hope to make it out west a couple of times.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I have a Kinetic jacket and Tomahak bibs. I would say my riding is a mix, I will trail riding in N. MN and boondocking. I also hope to make it out west a couple of times.

You've got 100 grams of Thinsulate up top and just a shell on the bottom. I would recommend going to the Inferno top and bottom for a mid layer. You could go to Yukon or Everest but I think it would be too much.

D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
Thanks for the advice! What do you think for my wife, she has an Allure parka and Intrigue Pants. I also got her the 3.0 version for the base layer. She will be almost all trail riding for now.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Look into Icebreaker they are a merino wool material, they are skiing orientated but I dont see how that matters in any way at all. Best stuff ive used.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Thanks for the advice! What do you think for my wife, she has an Allure parka and Intrigue Pants. I also got her the 3.0 version for the base layer. She will be almost all trail riding for now.

Look at the Sundance mid layer, if she is just trail riding she might be comfortable with the 3.0 and Sundance.

Crash1

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2015
Harbor Springs, Mi
Icebreaker

Expensive, but all out best product.You can also wear over and over, no odors, it's wool!!! Ultra light, packs very small space, even wet, your warm. Dries the quickest.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
synthetic or wool long johns(baselayer)
fleece midlayer, the only difference between cheap walmart and expensive klim is cut and style and look, no real difference in performance
gortex outlayer and you are covered for any sport in the mountains any time of year.

Premium Features