• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ordering a 850 after years with Polaris

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
Cause I will not order a first year sled. I have a 16 Axys with a sidekick. I'm keeping it for now and getting a 175. If the new axys is doing well I may get one next year. But I feel like I always have to spend a bunch of $$ on the Polaris to have it feel the way I want it to. I rode a 175 a couple times and all it needs is a can. I live in BC so I ride the steep and deep all the time. The 175 can almost keep up with my turbo everywhere we go... so I'm giving it a try. Plus my Polaris dealer said he won't be able to get me any riding time on the new sled before I can order one. That's just not acceptable to me. So skidoo it is

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Cause I will not order a first year sled. I have a 16 Axys with a sidekick. I'm keeping it for now and getting a 175. If the new axys is doing well I may get one next year. But I feel like I always have to spend a bunch of $$ on the Polaris to have it feel the way I want it to. I rode a 175 a couple times and all it needs is a can. I live in BC so I ride the steep and deep all the time. The 175 can almost keep up with my turbo everywhere we go... so I'm giving it a try. Plus my Polaris dealer said he won't be able to get me any riding time on the new sled before I can order one. That's just not acceptable to me. So skidoo it is

So it sounds like you know something the rest of us do not? Polaris will have more than just BNG??? or new tunnel bag or a new LinQ system 2 stroke oil container?��

I rode with a couple 850's this year, 165 and 175. The 175 is a frickin animal, and so was the pilot... pretty tough sled to follow. I just wonder what they handle like in set up snow? We have had exceptional snow this year so that huge track really shined!!!

Last edited:
F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
So it sounds like you know something the rest of us do not? Polaris will have more than just BNG??? or new tunnel bag or a new LinQ system 2 stroke oil container?��

I rode with a couple 850's this year, 165 and 175. The 175 is a frickin animal, and so was the pilot... pretty tough sled to follow. I just wonder what they handle like in set up snow? We have had exceptional snow this year so that huge track really shined!!!

My plan was to move my turbo over to a 19 axys but my dealer told me it will not fit...time to try that 175 :)

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
My plan was to move my turbo over to a 19 axys but my dealer told me it will not fit...time to try that 175 :)

Interesting!!!! I assumed that there would be something/change in the works this year for poo, so I snow checked a 2018 and put a sidekick on.. Good for a couple years... I rode with a couple 2018 cats this year as well, if I was to jump ship I think I would lean towards them. They worked pretty good and for me to jump on a Doo, I would have to eat a sh!t load of crow!!! Lol
Good luck with your purchase.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I think you’ll like the 175 850.

As far as Polaris the word I’ve been hearing is a 850ish sized motor to compete with the Doo 850.

Though I’d be extremely surprised if they have more than this season of any meaningful on snow testing. Logistically a ground up motor, to catch up with the competition who dropped a surprise motor CC bump 1 season ago is a hard thing.

That brings back BAD memories of my 05 900 RMK.

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
Ya that’s interesting that they always put a new motor on a trail sled the first year and then the mountain sled. Doesn’t look like it this time

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Well I can't believe this but after years of riding a Polaris I'm ordering a new 850...

Please update the thread title from "I'm doing it" to something helpfully descriptive of the subject. Makes it much easier to search for later and helpful for users to know the subject without going into the thread. "Changing from axys to summit" or something similar would be much more helpful and descriptive. Thanks.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom

I’m an 850 owner but this is very interesting logic. You won’t buy a first year sled because it might have issues so instead you’re going to buy a sled with known unresolved issues?

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
I’m an 850 owner but this is very interesting logic. You won’t buy a first year sled because it might have issues so instead you’re going to buy a sled with known unresolved issues?

Well all brands have issues so I'm supposed to not buy any? ? All my buddies have 850 and none of them I've had issues with them. My axys has been flawless but tons of guys have had issues and swear it's not worst machine ever. I don't really care about all the whining online. You can always find people complaining and saying this or that is the worst machine ever. All I know is I tried the 850 and really liked it so I'm ordering one. I may order a new Polaris next year, who knows... I know some people drink the koolaid from one manufacturer and won't even look at what others provide. That's not me. I'm willing to look around to enjoy the sport as much as I can

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008

Unresolved issues?? Curious on what those would be? I have a 17 Summit X, 165X3. Zero issues since new, didn't blow belts, motor hasn't given a problem. The switch to the 53 tooth bottom gear was a definite plus.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Unresolved issues?? Curious on what those would be? I have a 17 Summit X, 165X3. Zero issues since new, didn't blow belts, motor hasn't given a problem. The switch to the 53 tooth bottom gear was a definite plus.

The clutches are the issue they run to hot. Even though it is an issue it doesn’t create a problem for 100% of the riders. Just like when Polaris was having motor reliability problems not every sled blew up some guys got 1,000s of miles on Dragons and PROs. I own an AXY and an 850 and I prefer the 850. I hope this round of updates fix the problem and Ski Doo pays for them on the 17s and 18s.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I own an 850 and an Axys. No issues with either, but I have blow one belt on the Axys (no belt issues with the 850). Re-clutched the 850 with a stiffer secondary spring and ZRP weights from day one. Clutches on the 850 run slightly hotter than the Axys, but not a big difference. 850 is my preference to ride because it takes so little effort and I'm a better rider on it than the Axys. Nothing wrong with the Axys, just personal preference.

BTW, I ride with 4 other 850's (2 18's and 2 17's) and zero blown belts.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Going to need some skid changes on the doo, and hope motor stands up better next year, but they work good..

I would not toss the idea out of the new monorail cat for 19 since if it works out and I bet it will, the doo skid will be obsolete and a hard sell in a few more years down the Rd..

Doo is living off there curtails the last few years where cat seams to be pushing new innovation

Well I can't believe this but after years of riding a Polaris I'm ordering a new 850...

dbest

Lifetime Membership
Mar 15, 2013
I have to agree on how easy the G4 is to ride. I ride a T3 and the G4 is similar in so many ways but takes less effort. The agility is amazing and I found the rider position so comfortable. I haven't spent any time on the axys but would sure like to.
When you say you fell like a better rider on the G4 can you be more specific as to why that is NoSoup?

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’ve been riding a 175 850 this season. Best deep snow sled I’ve ever ridden. Had one belt fail at 250 miles. Made a claim at my dealer, I90 Motorsports and they gave me a belt. They also installed a heavier secondary spring and added weight to the clutch. I’ve got 300 miles on the new belt and no issues. I just added more weight to the clutch so I could run on clicker 3. This is the best deep snow sled I’ve ever ridden. I had a 2013 Pro 163 and I still have a Cat 900 ProLite with a 174-3” X track. This is the first sled I’ve ridden stock all year except for shocks, QRS 3 Fox’s with springs. Haven’t even put a can on it.

Premium Features