• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reviews - 2.5 Vs. 3" Paddle

A
Feb 16, 2014
Going to be pulling the trigger on a Gen4 and was looking for feedback and real world experience on the 2.5" vs. 3" paddle length. We mainly ride wet, Western Washington/Oregon Cascade snow and was curious what you guys would recommend. I currently ride an XM 154"x2.5" and it works well, but wondering if the 3" would be worth the upgrade from the 2.5? Not much into highmarking, but love to boondock and ride the trees and after reading lots of reviews, the playfulness of the 154" seems to be the track I will go with.

BTW, sorry if this has been discussed, but didn't seem to find any direct posts related to this topic.

Thanks guys.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I prefer the 3" track. Unless you're spending a lot of time on the trails, the 3" just works. I think it's especially noticeable in the 154" or shorter track lengths. I'm sure other's will have differing opinions. That's my 2 cents.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
It is a night and day difference in how well they pick up and get going out of the hole. the 3" really grabs a ton more snow and generates ground speed where the 2.5 spins and doesnt get you going nearly the same.

Like mentioned above, unless your out pounding trail all the time then there is really no reason NOT to get a 3" they just flat work.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
I am with guys above, spent a lot of time on a 2.5 inch track and picked up a gen4 154 with a 3 inch track this year. I would not want to go back to the 2.5. 3 inch is hands down better track for the mountains.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
In my area, I’d never go back to a 2.5”. Not even a close call on the performance difference between the 2 tracks.

Our snow is dry, dry, fluffy powder, when it’s powder. Even in the spring the 3” is better, though the gap is s but less.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Have ridden both.

Those that say the 2.5" is "best on trail only" is kind of missing the point IMO.

Where the 2.5" is awesome is those "normal" days. The days when its not silly deep. As others have commented, the 3" track hooks up a lot better than the 2.5". In many situations this can be annoying. I want some track spin at times to get the sled to "cut" into the snow. Too much is obviously bad, but in firmer conditions, or conditions where you can find a base, especially when in more mellow terrain or coaching, its a much more user friendly track (I'm not all over the brake controlling ground speed nearly as much). I put the girl on the 2.5" and its been a much easier sled for her to learn on.

Now for those "getting amongst it", no doubt the 3" is more capable, especially in longer lengths or with some aftermarket suspension. But yeah, the 2.5" is not a trial track and absolutely has its place. For most riders, I think they'd be overall happier with it. My $0.02.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I think all the guys above have ridden the xm in the 2.5 and are comparing that to the g4 in the 3 inch in the 154 length. As if they had both G4 154's on snow in a 2.5 inch and a 3 inch, they would hands down choose the 2.5 every time. I can tell by what they say that they have not. Just think about it in physics that way it takes the opinions out of it. The 2.5 inch track is the lightest track and spools up the fastest, if you after a quick turning, rippin sled this is the track, the 3 inch grabs more snow but all this does is bring the front end up in the air, then you have to come off the throttle to bring it down, which is never a good thing on a 154 in the tight trees and steep and deep, as soon as you do the sled is trenching a bit and it slows down and you are closer to getting stuck, the 2.5 spins so much faster that is gets up on the snow and stays flatter, hence needing less to go further. It is why many polaris riders like the 2.8 over the bigger lugged tracks too in the shorter length sleds. I have spent a lot of time on the 2.5 in 154 as Ashley Chaffin, Jay Mentaberry, Tony Jenkins and Jeremy Mercier all have that combo due to riding them both. In super deep snow the 2.5 154 will almost stay with a 165 3 inch that is how good it is. The best thing you can do is go to your dealer this year and try each of them back to back, if you go 154 the 2.5 is the way to go if you want to go faster and more places compared to the 3 inch. cheers dave

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I have a 2.5" XM and a 3" G4, both are 154". You can spin the track way easier w/ the 2.5, which is fun, and can be an advantage in a few situations, but overall, the 3" is just way more capable in the pow and allows you to do more with less skill. And I disagree about the wheelie monster label. But, I'm not that into straight up climbing anymore, so maybe I'm not the best resource on that point. The 154 G4 is super nimble and does everything I want to do pretty well, especially when there isn't that much fresh, which has been the case a lot this season. Norona's perspective is skewed by living in BC and having a backyard stash spot that delivers a meter of untouched pow on a regular basis. Not many people get that as their standard for comparison. I'd probably have a 175 too if that was my regular riding area.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I think your making a mistake not going to the 165. I came from a 154 and got the 165 and would never go back. My wife has the 154 and likes mine better also. She will get a 165 next time. Borh are 18 850s.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
This probably doesn't matter at all, but I'll share anyways. I have a Viper 153 and a 3 inch powerclaw. I find in slow speed scenarios I need to feather the throttle and "ease" into higher speeds. I can't just get on the throttle or the skis lift, or the thing digs to china and feels like it is going to get stuck.. I never had this issue when I had the 2.6 powerclaw. I felt like at any instant I could hammer the throttle and the sled would take off.. Maybe on a lighter sled this isn't an issue.. I'm not sure.

When I bought my 165 G4 I got the 2.5 inch lug. I don't think I'll ever go with a 3 inch track anymore on a 153/154 length track. I'd have to try it in a 165 before making the jump. until then I'll enjoy the 2.5.

J
Oct 11, 2012
I have an 18- 850 154-3" and will be getting a 165 for next year. Coming off a 154-2.5 XM it is way more capable and really fun to ride............ but be forewarned it is a wheelie monster and can trench terribly in deep snow. The few other guys I ride with have them also and all but one of them are going 165 next year also. A 2.5" on a G4-154 would be a better option IMO if you are set on a 154 length. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my G4 but I am disappointed I didn't buy a 165 for this very reason. I should have listened to some experienced people last spring who told me buy a 165 if you want a 3" as this is a characteristic of that 154-3" configuration. Some riders love it, I do not, I like a more planted feel. I do have the ZRP link on it which did help (works as advertised).

A
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the insight guys. Now you have me thinking twice about pulling the trigger on the 154"!. I know that preference of track lengths can be one of riding style and conditions but it sounds like the 165" might be the way to go if it is still a "playful" type of machine? I don't want to start a war on track lengths (I know this has been covered before) but if going with the 165", what are the opinions on 2.5 vs 3"? Does the 3" still trench? I imagine the wheeling problem would be mitigated?

Again, thanks so much

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Thanks for the insight guys. Now you have me thinking twice about pulling the trigger on the 154"!. I know that preference of track lengths can be one of riding style and conditions but it sounds like the 165" might be the way to go if it is still a "playful" type of machine? I don't want to start a war on track lengths (I know this has been covered before) but if going with the 165", what are the opinions on 2.5 vs 3"? Does the 3" still trench? I imagine the wheeling problem would be mitigated?

Again, thanks so much

Buddy of mine has a 2017 165 3", it does trench at times, but instead of getting stuck like a 154 or my older 163... it gets out. Now, it can wheelie pretty well too, but if you setup on sled right for throttle mash, you can mitigate it pretty well and it'll lift less than if you're really trying to wheelie with it.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
3" 154

I went with the 165 3" after riding exclusively 154 x 2.5". I should not have listened to the wheelie monster warnings. I'm selling my 2018 165 x 3" and buying a 2019 154 x 3" SP and a freeride 850 137" 2.25 for my girlfriend. Oregon didn't have near enough snow for a 165 or even a 146 this year and even on some deep days the 165 was just not fun enough for me. Goes everywhere & only gets stuck when your upside down in the trees. The 154 x 3" track is the best track for trees compared to a 154 x 2.5" that 3" track gives you what you need if you need to slow down between trees & gets you back on top moving forward. If your a good rider that enjoys the challenge don't get sucked into the 165 couch, get the 154 and enjoy the boost you get from the 3" track. Invest in a nice rear skid and front shocks you'll have a blast.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Here is my take on the whole deal, If you want a 165 or 175, go 3"
if you might want a 154 go 2 1/2" the track spin is instantaneous but the front end lift is also instantaneous. I don't care what anyone says, the G 4, 154 wheelies.
I've learned what to do on my 154 and what to not do but i'm completely happy with my 2 1/2 track and on most days I'll be with the big boys.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I swapped from a 154x2.5" track to a 3" track on my XM. The suspension setup was utterly inadequate for that much traction, and so initially I thought I made a big mistake. I weigh all of 165lbs, and until I changed suspension setup/settings rather drastically it would either trench or flip over backwards on the easiest terrain. Set torsions to 5, stock limiter but soft front track spring, then moved the scissor back 3/4" and now it's very fun. Feet forward and lean toward the hood and it'll climb like crazy. Step back and it'll go vertical making turnouts and wheelies easy. With poor setup it was awful, with a little time spent on setup it became a much more capable sled for what I enjoy.

Rider weight, setup, and riding style probably make big differences with what is preferred. All points to test riding before buying, if possible.

Premium Features