• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Demo rides?

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Mntpull, you had a demo ride and say it's not for you. Thanx, wish I had the opportunity. Trying to read between the lines as to whether you would be into a new sled after this season anyway, so I'd like to ask you a couple of questions.

From the ride review you posted you said the motor was awesome quick, caught you by surprise. Good as your Etec? Better? Apples to oranges?

You stated that the new higher CofG chassis may not be for everyone, tippy, especially in the snow you got to test in, maybe a bit too single purpose, maybe too "Burant" style.
Comparing the T3 platform (probably all Doo's next season because of it's success) and it's higher CofG is the new pro tippier, more single purpose yet?

I've had a short ride on a T3. I know most of the comments from old Pro riders on T3's say it "tips in" easier and they like that in the snow. It's almost a 180 for trail opinions though. A year ago the Pro sucked on the trail compared to the XM and now the opposite compared to the T3 package. Is higher CofG all of this?

I will do my best to answer your questions. I have put your questions in RED. My answers in black.

Trying to read between the lines as to whether you would be into a new sled after this season anyway

Through my business I buy between 15-20 sleds a year. So, purchasing a new sled for myself each year is purely a decision I make based off a few factors listed below. As for my personal one, some years I buy new every year and others I hold onto a machine for a couple years. The biggest factor determining if I purchase a new one is primarily if I feel there is a machine offered that I feel is a good performance upgrade (translation: one I think would be more fun to ride) over what I currently have. Other factors include resale value and reliability, but these take a back seat to what I think would be the most fun to ride. So basically if I felt the Axys would be a more fun sled to ride, then I would be making a purchase of it next year.

From the ride review you posted you said the motor was awesome quick, caught you by surprise. Good as your Etec? Better? Apples to oranges?

The new polaris motor is awesome. I loved it. Especially the low end. I think it is more snappy than the etec. Or in other words the low end quickness is better. I don't think it felt more powerful overall, but definitely better low end / snappiness.

You stated that the new higher CofG chassis may not be for everyone, tippy, especially in the snow you got to test in, maybe a bit too single purpose, maybe too "Burant" style.
Comparing the T3 platform (probably all Doo's next season because of it's success) and it's higher CofG is the new pro tippier, more single purpose yet?

I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what you are asking here. But, here are my thoughts. Let's keep in mind the overall snow conditions this winter and that my time on my T3 and the Axys have both been in mostly set up snow. I don't know if I like using the word tippy to describe how a sled handles. I will say that I felt like on the off camber set up snow that I felt like I was fighting the machine (Axys) a bit and it felt like it wanted to pull me downhill. Going straight up a hill that was really packed out I got into a rut or maybe better described as a deep trench (not side hill, just straight up the hill) and I ended up on my side wondering what just happened. That never would have happened on my pro. So on my pro I went from feeling extremely confident in all conditions to very insecure on the Axys in the set up off camber snow. Now, once I got the Axys into the trees in soft snow it excelled and I had that total confidence again. Maybe a little jekyl and hyde personality?

On my T3 I have simply jumped on the machine and felt at home since day one. I can sidehill, boondock, climb, jump, etc, etc. I had confidence immediately on it.

I do think the Axys was purpose built and obviously with a ton of feedback from burrandt. I think steep soft snow is where it will excel and should be an incredibly fun machine. Last Friday I rode out of Willow Creek and there was about 12 - 18" of new snow on some really set up snow. It was pretty heavy snow. We rode in the trees all day. One particularly steep side hill we tore up pretty good. Then some other guys dropped into the canyon and added to it. By the end of the day that side hill had trenches, holes and pits all over it. When you tried to cross it you'd be thrown from soft snow into hard snow into a deep trench into somebodys pit and back into soft snow. If you stopped on the side hill as soon as you would give it gas your machine would wash out because there was not enough soft snow to give you traction. It would just slide out from under you on the set up snow underneath. It was brutal. I was riding with 3 Pros. At the end of the day we ended up on that side hill again as we worked our way out of that canyon. There were Pros stuck on that side hill quite a bit. I had my issues with it on my T3 but felt every bit as confident on it as I would have on my Pro. However, I thought to myself at the end of the day that side hill would be scary on the Axys with the inconsistency of the snow.

Here is a photo of that side hill earlier in the day prior to it getting hammered.

20150206_113157_zpsltc6oenj.jpg

A year ago the Pro sucked on the trail compared to the XM and now the opposite compared to the T3 package. Is higher CofG all of this?

I try not to base my criticisms of a mountain sled on how it handles on the trail. That honestly doesn't matter to me. What does matter is how it rides off trail in all conditions and how confident I feel on the sled. Regardless of where the CofG comes into play it simply comes down to this for me. I have felt extremely confident in all conditions on my T3 163 and on the Axys I lacked that confidence in the set up off camber snow.

Now, I have yet to ride either sled in the extremely light, bottomless deep pow (thanks old man winter:face-icon-small-dis). However, most sleds handle really well and are easy to turn in this type of snow. What I would like to compare is how both the Axys and the T3 get up on the snow in these types of conditions.

Oh and just to rile up all the Poo die hards. My T3 never ended up stuck like this pro.

20150206_110320_zpsadtwr0gz.jpg

Hope all this rambling actually helps a bit.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
So tell me, how does it compare to coming off of an edge chassis?:juggle:

Lol all you guys are nit picking this and that about the new sleds, and honestly I have a blast on my 12 year old 700 that has 3500 miles on it! I honestly have a problem saying much bad about any new sled I have a chance to ride because of that. It's like jumping ahead to a whole new universe. I'm excited to snowcheck!!!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Thx Mntpull.

In a nutshell, correct me if wrong.

HO and Etec; pretty equal. Good IMO
T3 chassis to New Pro set-up: T3 is more stable in marginal snow. Not so good. IMO
Who cares about trails. Good IMO
Your T3 whooped some 3" Pros. Not so good except it looked like real good fun for all IMO.

Brew,,, not yet. I want a ride on a Axys RMK but I have no reason to change from the best chassis I've be on yet. Just hopin'.
My "test ride" on the T3 left me very impressed, but I think my legs are still too short for the XM.
I grew up on dirt bikes not horses.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
Do you think the lower gearing on the axys is helping with the acceleration? I know when I put 7 tooth drivers and a 3" track on my wifes 13 pro 155 it seemed like it woke the motor up. And got rid of the hesitation it had on the bottom end.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Do you think the lower gearing on the axys is helping with the acceleration? I know when I put 7 tooth drivers and a 3" track on my wifes 13 pro 155 it seemed like it woke the motor up. And got rid of the hesitation it had on the bottom end.

I'm not going to directly or actually answer that question but I'll offer an observation that may or may not pertain to this discussion. LOL

The stock Polaris series 5.1 (155 x 2.4" paddles) will spin quicker than the Camoplast X3 (156 x 3").
Obviously that doesn't mean the 2.4" track hooks up quicker. It sorta proves that it doesn't.
The X3 loads the engine more (revs slower), but hooks WAY better and has way better hole shot.

I'll restate....

Series 5.1 track revs quicker, spins more and hooks less than the X3. Makes it feel like better throttle response. False sense of great throttle response, IMO.

X3 revs slower, hooks harder, better hole shot then stock track. Having the X3 is kind like riding a turbo...ya ride and throttle differently.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK

It may be semantics to the rest of you; but the AXYS is actually "geared" higher but uses smaller drivers. So while the effective ratio is lower, it is not actually geared lower.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
LH, that sounds like an arguement my wife and I would have. :)

With my wife stock sled, going from stock gear, stock drivers and stock 5.1 track to stock gearing 7 tooth driver and a x3 track the acceleration and throttle response is a ton better.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
TTT... Demo ride options? There's a section on the POO site to sign up which I did. Not sure that means anything. What's anyone heard on demo rides??

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I signed up on the site too but I don't think that means anything. One of the dealers I talked to in boise said that He really doubted they would get any demos. He said they were getting a couple of "non-running" sleds to put on the showroom that would b (it sounded like) be rotated from dealer to dealer? Sounds really odd to me, but that's what I was told.

I think Polaris is making a mistake if they don't have any demo rides on a new chassis this year.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I talked to 2 dealers and one said he didn't know and the other said no. He claimed there were only 10 running around. He claimed they were going to try and make some up for the expo at west yellowstone but there wasn't much snow so they bagged it.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Looks like plenty of takers if you look at the recent influx of 13,14,15 Pros for sale in the swapmeet. I suspect some of those will become screaming deals just before the snow check deadline:face-icon-small-sho

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I talked to 2 dealers and one said he didn't know and the other said no. He claimed there were only 10 running around. He claimed they were going to try and make some up for the expo at west yellowstone but there wasn't much snow so they bagged it.

They had exactly 10 if them in Alpine for our demo.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
The website for the snowmobileexpo.com, has removed Polaris offering demo rides :face-icon-small-sad. I don't know that I can snow check one with out more feedback than 10 guys riding them in marginal snow. Sad, but I might go with a skidoo t3, $800 less from my dealer and in a package that has been tried and liked by many. Come on POLARIS, give us demo rides!!!!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
The website for the snowmobileexpo.com, has removed Polaris offering demo rides :face-icon-small-sad. I don't know that I can snow check one with out more feedback than 10 guys riding them in marginal snow. Sad, but I might go with a skidoo t3, $800 less from my dealer and in a package that has been tried and liked by many. Come on POLARIS, give us demo rides!!!!

Worse than that. Those 10 guys only rode 1 sled and that was a 155 2.6. NOBODY has ridden a 3" track to my knowledge. Who knows, 3" track could be aweful on this sled, and nobody will know until they put their 14 grand down and try it for themselves.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Worse than that. Those 10 guys only rode 1 sled and that was a 155 2.6. NOBODY has ridden a 3" track to my knowledge. Who knows, 3" track could be aweful on this sled, and nobody will know until they put their 14 grand down and try it for themselves.

Talk to Dan Adams, he's been posting riding pics of the red, orange and blue AXYS RMKS all week long.

:)

Premium Features