• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trailer tires

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
I order my tires from here, have been very happy with price,delivery time and quality.
http://www.customtrailerwheels.com
Mounting I get done at Discount tire 7 bucks each.
I have never given it any thought of radio vrs bias my open aluma trailer came with radials so I replaced them with radials.
Mine dry rot before the tread is worn, started covering them or like this summer put trailer on jack stands and store tires inside.
Original tires 2 lasted 4 year don't know miles.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I would say radial if your talking full size tires.

Now u need to decide on st trailer tire or auto/truck tire.

I replaced 4 15" camper tires earlier this summer and did quite a bit of google searches on type of tire to use.

For my application I decided to stay with st rating because they are supposed to be more resistant to weather checking. Also, st tires are rated to 65mph but in my case that is the usual speed I ran at because I dont have a diesel.

Also, FYI, I read a lot of comments saying most trailer tires are made in Asia. I had some skepticism on this but upon looking into it discovered it to be true for most/all the tires carried by the tire stores here.

To my surprise the oem Goodyear marathons were Asian. I verified by reading the tire code. Since these tires were 8 years old, always stored outside without covers and are just now showing weather checking a little in the tread, I decided to stay with st.

4GR8X

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Star, ID
Have to get new tires for my inclosed trailer. What work the best radial or bios ply. What brands hold up the best. Thanks

Greetings sledmann,

I'll assume your enclosed trailer has 14" tires.

My experiences with the 14" load range "C", trailer tires have been disappointing. Offered for your consideration a 14" load range "D" tire. Check out the link below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&partnum=0R4857

Have fun, Craig.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Go with Goodyear radials. The bias tires are much cheaper for a reason.

Radials yes for tread wear is one reason. Had a new ish set of bias plus on a trailer I bought last year and hauled to AK from the L48. Tires took a beating and no flats. Lucky maybe, but wore most of the tread off and the trailer was not overloaded.
I've had terrible luck with Goodyear Marathon radials and they are pretty universally regarded as crap. Have lost more Marathons, like 6 of them, on boat trailers than all other trailer tires combined. And they don't pop, they delaminate after getting to be a few yrs old and tear stuff up.
For radials, 14" there are only 2 D rated tires I know of. Kumho 857s like posted above. These are the best tires out there I'm convinced. I've beat the he!! Out of a couple sets for years with no flats and best treadwear out of several different brands I've had or used. They are $30-40 more than all the C rated tires cept the overpriced GY Marathons.
etrailer.com sells d Rated Kenda tires. They are cheap, $100, and better load rating than C tires but not as high as the Kumhos. Just bought 4 of them, but haven't mounted them yet so no experience. Great price for a D tire though.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
Reference tires

I am currently working for a very large tire company. When looking at enclosed trailers the axle and tires would be one of the most important items on the trailer. If they are unwilling to put the axle I want and the tires I want I would go to another company. It use to be everyone would try to run the same size tire on their trailer as on the pickup so you always had more spares if needed. This has come to an end with 17, 18, and 20 inch tires they are putting on the pickups. I would not buy a pickup with 20 inch tires but that is for another thread.

Trailer tires!!!!!! I will have to check at work tomorrow on 15 inch Hercules tires and what sizes are available. We are a big enough company I could talk to my boss and possible have one of the tire companies make a tire for the application we need it for. Once you hit 16 there are better options. There are some really good tires at great prices once you are in the 16" tire size. The reason trailer companies are using light axles and small tires everyone knows is to save money and increase profit margin.

Premium Features