• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for Sled Deck.. wondering options?

J
Aug 8, 2013
Guys im driving an 09 GMC 6.6L 4 door reg box... It has a tunnel cover, Im new to the whole sled deck thing, so wondering, what am I expecting putting one on, and is it going to be a custom size, or is everything universal? Prices, brands? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys :)

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
I currently have a silver lake deck and overall I'm happy with it. It's not top of the line but the price was right. You can't beat the expandable sides either. They do freeze up a couple times a year but either a stomp on the deck or a few hits with a rubber mallet and were back in business.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You want expandable sides. I don't know how guys drive around town with their deck always expanded. That's just me. As far as I'm concerned there are only two decks to buy. They are both expensive. I would either do a Full Lotus deck or Truck Boss Deck. I had a Full Lotus deck and I really liked it. Good welds, composite decking, expandable sides, LED lighting and super clamps. The Truck Boss is interesting to me because it doesn't connect in the truck bed but on the truck rails. You do have an option to mount to the bed. It's a modular design instead of a structural leg setup. I miss my sled deck.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I like my bulldog deck a lot. Sides are expandable. It has an extension for the back of the deck and is very easy to install and remove. So basically the deck is the same size as the bed during the week. Only negative I can say is my ramp is a little short. 10' makes for a weird (steep) transition point. But that could be solved with a longer ramp. As was mentioned about the sticking sides. I have sprayed
PAM and they slide like butter. They do need to be cleaned after a few months though.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I spent a couple months this summer researching and looking at decks. How much do you have to spend? 1500-6000 is about the range. The rock bottom price gets you a steel, non expandable deck with plywood decking. 2000ish range gets you a steel deck with the same plywood but now you can pull the sides out to haul 2 sleds or keep them in the width of the truck box when hauling one sled or non at all. 2500-3000 will get you into an aluminum frame. 3500-4000 will get you into more of the options you want. Nicer ramps, Super glides and super clamps are very nice to have. The 4500-6000 range will get you into the full lotus and truck boss. The truck boss is one VERY high quality, well engineered deck. It seals tight to the box sides, is built from extruded aluminum and no welds to crack. Plus the telescoping ramp and expandable sides can be operated with one hand. They work very smooth and don't stick and bind like the ones in the 3000-3500 range do. Truckboss also offers a winch loading option which works great if your in an icy or gravel parking lot, want to load your sled out of your garage or have a 10ft ramp and a lifted truck.

If you go with the lower end of the price range just keep in mind you will be paint rust on the steel decks, fixing cracked welds on the aluminum decks and replacing plywood every couple years. I seen new, unused decks at the dealers that sat outside for a year and already needed the plywood replaced.

This is a general overview, once you start looking you will find a handful of the main builders and a BUNCH of small time guys. Eric

J
Aug 8, 2013
Thanks for all the replies guys! I mean its always better cheaper.. but then again you get what you pay for.. and if your gonna stick almost 30K up on it, its probably best to invest... just my thinking on it :) I will definitely look into it, as im located in Bismarck, ND.. So I doubt anythings real close for me too look at. But I will keep an open eye!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Thanks for all the replies guys! I mean its always better cheaper.. but then again you get what you pay for.. and if your gonna stick almost 30K up on it, its probably best to invest... just my thinking on it :) I will definitely look into it, as im located in Bismarck, ND.. So I doubt anythings real close for me too look at. But I will keep an open eye!

Will @ Toy Up ships all over the US, Canada, and AK. If he doesn't already have a dealer close by he could ship on direct.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Four Seasons in Rapid City is a TruckBoss dealer and they had a couple decks in stock. You can also buy direct of them and they only charge a flat shipping rate of 250.00

Once you start looking you will find that most of the sled deck builders are in Canada. Eric

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The 4500-6000 range will get you into the full lotus and truck boss.

Short bed Full Lotus deck is $4300. I think most of the guys will ship your deck. Interestingly though, the Truck Boss would probably ship cheapest because it is a modular deck you put together.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I had a marathon deck last winter. It was prolly 6-8 yrs old and WELL used.
Painted the plywood black with some solid color Sikkens stain, polished up the sides and it looked pretty new.
The glides on it were cut up truck bed liners and they worked as good as the high dollar ski glides. Ramp was solid and stable.
Only a couple little tack welds that were not structural that we're cracked and a couple self tappers underneath the deck fixed those.
Based on how used this was and how well it still worked, I'd reccomended Marathon all day.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I had a marathon, I believe an '09. Only good thing about that deck was the ramp. The legs flexed with a load on the deck and had a few cracks in it after less than two seasons. Cross-trax is a solid well priced deck. Very tough and easy to use. Currently using an M-Line deck from the guys in Grande Prairie. It's a long ways from you but probably the most well built deck I've been around. Not cheap but you get what you pay for here

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I really love my toyup it doesn't have expandable sides but it doesn't bother me they don't stick out past my mirrors. I would love to get a truckboss one day...

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Only thing I don't like about the truckboss is the fact that it sits on the box sides. Seen a few in my area with cracked box sides from this.

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
Sled Deck reccommendation

I just bought a Full Lotus this August. Drove to Vernon did some boating, picked some fruit, hung out with the family.

For me it was a bang for the buck decision. I paid 4K but what you get for the money is great. I especially like the composite decking material. Heavy duty deck support for the truck box. Other manufacturers designs tear the corners of your box. Weight is not evenly distributed across the truck's frame rails.

You get above and below deck lighting, led trailer lights, really nice ramp, etc. Here's there link

http://www.flrecdecks.com/long-sled-deck/

Full Lotus installed the deck for me so I have been driving around and have gotten many compliments. I am going back to Kelowna in the winter for skiing and sledding holiday, I think I will get Lotus to make me a sliding bed tray.

Here some pics of the deck on my truck. I like it very much:face-icon-small-ton

WP_20140921_005.jpg WP_20140921_001.jpg WP_20140921_003.jpg

Premium Features