• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Difference between a SkiDoo Summit X 800R 146 and a Freeride 800R 146

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
A friend of mine is looking to replace his snowmobile with a new 2014 SkiDoo. What is the difference between a Summit X 800R 146 and a Freeride 800R 146? Thank you for the help we appreciate it :face-icon-small-hap

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Freeride has better suspension, wider front end 38-40 over 36-38 on the summit, Freeride has braces on the front end and tunnel that stiffens it up...

If you want the lightest sled go with the summit. I had both last year and although the freeride is a sick sled and looks sick the summit is better. Even if you are a big jumper, which i am not, just put bigger suspension on the x model. The freeride is tougher but if you flat land the sled off a big jump the freeride is not gonna save itself just cause it is beefed up...the secret to not wrecking a sled is smoothness like the pros like treadway and alford etc..

After riding the summit at 36 on the front end I can not go back to 38, even on the summit...since the freeride is wider, that is the killer for me...I also had a 2011 and 2012 freeride and found the same with the 2014 freeride over the summit, comparatively the freeride feels heavier, is slow to up turn in the trees...the guys who will love the freeride are guys who ride more trails and love to jump and thrash their sled, or they bought it for its good looks. I cannot tell you how many people say how rad it looks...but for me the summit sp or x is just better in every way...

Premium Features