• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What are the best turbo reeds to use

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
D

Digger Deep

Jan 19, 2008
Spring Creek, Nv.
Reeds, What are the best reeds to use?:confused: Which ones last the longest and which ones give use the best performance? I'm runnig a BD RG M8 and run 12 to 14 lbs of boost. THANKS:beer;

S

smv sledhead

Nov 26, 2007
SE Idaho
You will have to change stock reeds twice per season. Right now I have stacked M1000 reeds, after having blown my TDRs first ride this year. The hype is Quadzilla Racers Spring Steel reeds. They have potential to be bulletproof, but they are in their infancy. I think a lot of people are waiting to see what happens with them. Could be the solution to yearly or twice yearly replacement. Check a few threads down on this forum.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
If I hadn't jsut replaced my reeds I would spending my money on the steel reeds from Quadzilla, I think they will work well. JMO

L

little_orange_cat

Apr 7, 2008
lynden
www.myspace.com
im using Pro's Choice Power & Performance Turbo Reeds from glenn hall and so far at 15lbs with my 1200 big turbo and there working good with no problems ive ran about 55+ gallons threw them

S

smv sledhead

Nov 26, 2007
SE Idaho
Haven't tried them on a turbo. Love them on my N/A sleds. They are thinner and supposed to allow more air thus needing more fuel and giving more ponies. So on a turbo I figure they would shred in no time. Anybody know for sure???

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
We just ordered the spring steel reeds from D & D. Glenn Hall was putting in another order last week. These are the ones that he is using in the drag sleds where they start under boost (stutter start) and they have been holding-up well for him when I called him last week. The long-term results remain to be seen, but his sled is a lot harder on them than the 10-14 psi sleds we're running. I plan to check them periodically and keep in touch with Glenn as he said that he had folks testing them.
He reports good throttle response.

T
What happens to the Steel Reed IF it lets go. I remember when fiber reeds replaced steel it was the BEST as when it broke it was digestable by the engine(although anything that gets caught in the bearings sucks). I do know the steel and the high speed turbo fins will not make for a good time. G

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
What happens to the Steel Reed IF it lets go. I remember when fiber reeds replaced steel it was the BEST as when it broke it was digestable by the engine(although anything that gets caught in the bearings sucks). I do know the steel and the high speed turbo fins will not make for a good time. G

That is exactly what I was wondering too...

Anything is possible and yes there is a chance "IF" a petal broke off it would result in damage to piston, dome, cylinder, and turbine of turbo.

However, these are not the same old grades of steel reeds that were used on sleds like the old Cat ZR700's and Yamaha Phazer II's back in the day that many of you may relate our reeds to. Most of those reeds were made from thin "stainless steel" as a few Turbo companies even try to use now. Stainless Steel grade reeds simply don't have the memory or flexiability to perform as a long term reed and will fatigue quickly, break, and eat up parts.

We've worked hard to create and test our own grade of hardened spring steel that can withstand, twisting, bending, and retain memory characteristics that are important for reed applications. We've made small changes in the design to help improve throttle response and still create a firm tension when fully open.

My stand on our Turbo Reeds is this... We have pushed the capabilities of a 2-stroke Turbocharged Snowmobile Engine further than anybody ever has legitamately documented with 560+hp @ 36 psi of boost using our reeds. I needed a durable reed alternative that would hold up to our boost requirements. I tried literally every aftermarket and stock reed petal available on the market and couldn't get any to holdup to a small lean "pop" or over 28 psi. So this leads us to where we are today with our Pro's Choice Power & Performance Turbo Reed Kits.

They are an aftermarket part designed to withstand the abuse of our 2-stroke Turbo engines. Just like I've told everyone on the phone and thru PM's, I strongly recommend changing out our reed kits at the end of each riding season as a precautionary measure. I feel our reed kits are well worth the money if it saves you from the hassle wrenching and changing broke stock or fiber petals multiple times during the season or if it doesn't leave you with a broke fiber petal way in the back country.

For now I have to say look at the positive feedback from our customers post and testing results, then make your decision. They are getting great reviews in the field as you can read from guys out west and flatlanders. If you don't try to push the limit of getting multiple years of use from 1-set and you are happy with going a full season without swapping out fiber reeds then these are the reeds for you. Next, add up your cost for lost time and replacement price of stock or fiber reeds in 1-season for many of you.

I hope this sheds a little more information on our reed petals for those of you that have questions. Sorry for the "loooonnnnngggg" post guys, LOL!

Take care everybody,

Justin Durand
Pro's Choice Power & Performance

Last edited:
G
Nov 27, 2007
Long term testing is exposing some issues with the steel reeds for the cats. If you have them installed, I recommend removing them and sending them back to me for a refund. They still seem to be the best option for extreme boost short term operation, but long term use will risk engine damage from breakage.

Glenn Hall
10312 E. County Rd Y
Gordon WI 54838

hallnracing@hotmail.com

Glenn, give me a call...this post just blasted me out of left field when I read this, what's going on or what happened? Been trying to get ahold of you?

To the best of my knowledge everyones reeds have been holding up just fine according to post and followup phone calls. Actually, received a phone call tonight (before I unfortunately read this post) thanking me for the reeds that I sent out in December and that the owner has had many rides in @ 14-16 pounds of boost already where he normally would have been swapping out fiber petals.

Guess, I would have liked a simple phone call with some tech information or concerns to what happened before I read this on a public forum, I think I deserved that much respect as the individual that designed these.

I know there are quite a few guys out there running our turbo reeds (Cats/Polaris) and I would like to invite them to continue contributing with there results and feedback as I've posted all along. Seems pretty quick just to call for a return considering how many sets are in duty, think we would have had a public backlashing by now.

At this particular time based upon positive feedback from riders from the US to Canada and even New York and my own personal experiences I will continue to sell and use our reed kits as a much better alternative to fiber reeds.

Thank you

Last edited:
Premium Features