• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 Sinister Lens Change...how to?

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I recently purchased a set of 509 Sinisters and just got a new polarized lens for them. I looked on 509's website and they don't have instructions for how to do this (at least not that I can find). I checked the book that came with the goggles and nothing there either. I did a search on threads here and found a thread where someone asked, but no one answered. I have seen comments that this is not that easy to do (and lots of people saying they don't even try to do it in the field) so I'd really appreciate some advice. FYI, I've never had any goggles that had replaceable lenses so comparisons to other brands won't be helpful to me.

Can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it right, so that I don't damage either my lenses or the frames?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

M
Oct 22, 2009
lense swap

The process is not as hard as it seems, the first time it will stump you, the second it can be done in two minutes.

1. Remove the nose piece.
2.Start by lifting the frame near the 509 logo on the top, you will feel the lense seperate from the frame.
3. Slowly begin to seperate the lense from the frame on the sides.
4. Pull up on the lense near the nose and seperate from the frame.

Install
1. Start by placing the new lense in the nose of the frame and begin to slowly line up the lense on the sides, making sure that you get the lense in the small insert/chanel in the frame. You may need to flex and scrunch the frame to contour it to the lense.

2. Lock the frame on the top and make sure the sides are still in the frame insert/channel.

3. Press firmly on nose of the frame and push up hard to get the lense to attach at the nose. ( this part took me 1/2 hour the first time, was being to easy on the frame and lense and expecting it to click into place. It is more of a force fit than a clip in fit at the nose)

Make sure you cannot see the three notches in the lense near the nose. That is where the force fit is needed.

You can be far more aggressive on the lense and frame than you would think. Had I known how hard you can push on them I would have been done in minutes the first time.

pm me if you need more. This was my best attempt and remembering and translating my thoughts to email.

Hope it helps

Mike

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Mike-

Okay, I tried that and I think it worked...but I never felt any "click" or anything on the nose...but when I pull (gently) on the top and the nosepiece of the goggle everything stays together and I can't see the three notches. But should I feel or hear anything indicating that the nose part is locked in?

Thanks so much for the help. It was a bit of a challenge the first time, particularly since the polarized lens isn't pre-curved so I was having to bend and flex that also, but I took it apart and put it back together 4 times so make sure I had it. The only thing I'm just not entirely sure about is the nose. And what is the notch in the middle of the nose for? When I look down in the frame, there are only two notches, but three in the lens. Is that to fit the older models?

Thanks.

M
Oct 22, 2009
lense

You will not hear or feel a click on the nose piece. It is more of a compression fit. If you can't see the notches of the lense near the nose, then you did it correct.

Glad my ramble was able to help. I imagine you can now do it in minutes? I was just being too cautious with the lense and frame, they really are quite flexible and durable.

Mike

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Yes, I got pretty fast at it. I might even take my spare lenses with me on rides...I think it would be do-able in the field without too much of a problem.

Thanks!

T
Jan 4, 2011
SINISTER LENS CHANGE TUTORIAL

I recently had the same problem with a set of 2010 sinister goggles. I emailed 509 and they posted a link to a video tutorial on their site. Keep in mind that if you are using a set of 2010 or 2011 sinisters u will need to remove the nose guard before starting the tutorial (pre 2010 had no nose piece).

http://www.509films.com/optics/lenschange.html

Ride safe out there.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
FINALLY! Love 509 but w/o this video I was about to retire these damn things.

Thanks Tom for making this video.

Premium Features