• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To cut or not to cut (powderhound skis)

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
I've got a 2013 1100 Turbo and have tried three kinds of skis and ended up with 8" Sly Dog Powderhounds. Due to the nose heavy nature of this sled, the wider skis are a must in deep powder. The down side is that they do take some more effort to side hill and counter steer. I have heard rumors that cutting the inch lip of the outside rear of this ski will help this issue.

Anyone find this to be true?

Thanks

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Did the " Carl's cut" on my SLP SLT's and it reduced the kickback when sidehilling, or doing doughnuts. I think that in certain conditions the skis may push a little more in the corners because you've removed a little of the edge used for steering, but not bad. It was a bit of a trade off, but I'd rather have less kickback when you need. Mine was on a different sled, 08 XP, and I did this to different skis, it all depends on the cut as well. Try a search for Carl's cut, you may get more input.

Premium Features