• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

91 octane?

G
Nov 26, 2007
I have always ran 91 octane in my revs and rt, but was talking to a well known engine builder and said because of running at 8-10,000 feet there is no need for 91 octane and actually you will get more horse power out of med grade? do any of you believe this or is he full of sh**?

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
True story. One of my buddies used to fill his sled with farm 87 octane all the time and his engine always seemed to out pull the rest of us with the exact same sled....at elevation. On the trail in and out he had to baby it to avoid deto.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
I don't know about the horsepower thing but here in the Black Hills our unleaded regular is only 85 octane, I used to use it but I was always having problems getting our sleds started after they were hot, since I switched to 91 octane the hot starting problems have disappeared. When we go to the other side of the state and fill up our Tahoe with 87 octane I can really notice the difference in power and the "pinging" is gone too.

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
I have always ran 91 octane in my revs and rt, but was talking to a well known engine builder and said because of running at 8-10,000 feet there is no need for 91 octane and actually you will get more horse power out of med grade? do any of you believe this or is he full of sh**?

Your "well known" engine builder is smart... The most power is from the lowest oct rating without pinging.. Higher oct,,, has less power... The reason the higher oct,,,,, is only to stop the detonation, not for more power... Go back to him and listen...

Premium Features