• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New ISR rules- sno-x

I
Nov 28, 2007
Looks like noone under age 18 on a 600-
I know there were some Juniors that were running both Junior 16-17 and Sport class in regionals last year. If they were allowed in Sport they could race a 600??

- Womens class- alot of womens class racers are under 18 and most ran
600's last year

No orange on sleds (even stickers) I guess the orange X is gone anyhow

For 2009-2010- Snell M2005 helmets

G
Apr 23, 2008
orange helmet rule is still in..rediculous,,,, but in.
18 age rule is pending.

no range on sled is just another way to screw with us.

The whole ORANGE thing is a throw over from ice ovals. you know 100 mph in the dust nose to tail makes sense for that sport,,,JUST LIKE SNOCROSS ,,,right ????
Even Barry Dawson wanted that rule tossed and thought it was last year until insurance pushed it back in.

Gus

no more 08 and newer rule either, that was aslo tossed mid stream last season, AFTER we all wasted 10,000 on the 2 pound HEAVIER rs..!
440 is lighter and just as quick on timers.

I
Nov 28, 2007
It's for stockers
So if it goes thru, there's some who had 600's last year that will need to buy a 440........then next year Juniors will probably be on 600's as 440's are getting pretty old and beat up

S
Feb 20, 2008
Where did you get your info? I talked to our race director and he was at the rules meeting last month and he said that this all new to him. He said if anything, the talk was about detuning 600s for Junior racers to race since the 440s are wearing out. I really like to know if there is any truth to this because my son was going to move up to Sport, but that won't be possible if he has to be 18 to race a 600.

J
Dec 24, 2007
MN
A few points to bring up here -- we have raced regionals for several years. Our racer is over 21 and has a 600. Here is something to think about. There is a class for the 440's to race in sport at least there was last season and I have no reason to think that will change. WPSA put together a program for 440's and a combined class for 440's/600's and the 440's were plenty competitive. What looks to be happening is that it is hard to bring new people into the sport when they have to hunt for used expensive 600's. Getting people started on the remaining 440's out there is not all that bad of an idea from the point of affordability. I know everyone wants to make sure they can be competitive but think about the new people in the sport that can get in finding 440's from 2500 to 4000. Face the facts numbers were down last year but WPSA did not announce the classes until well after the buy-=- sell season for the guys buying the 08's was past. I know we still own a very competitve 05 440 sno pro. I emailed WPSA several time to find out what was going on. We were told no way no cross over class - this was the facts we had until after the time we had to send checks in for our 600. Then the crossover class appeard etc. So if the rules end up that under 18 races 440's sure that is a problem for the fast guys that are looking at semi pro but the rest of the sport could use a bunch of novice and sport riders right now and this could get them to the race track. So as you think this through let the semi pro and pro riders figure things out with the sanctioning people but hopefully we can build some affordable classes for the junior, novice and sport classes. Sorry for the long post but I have seen threads talking about sno X surviving etc so I know there is interest in the subject so i think people will read this. Bottom line is that we need more poeple at the track - running well maintained older equipment gets them there AND I have seen plenty of racers win with that equipment too. JAK

Mar 1, 2008
From the ISR meeting

From the RockMaple Racing Website.

08-09 Season Rules & Updates

For the 2008-2009 snocross season, Junior riders in the 14-15 and the 16-17 liquid divisions will be restricted to running only the 440's in the liquid-cooled division.

For the 2009-10 season, an acceptable alternative will be used.

Also all models, regardless of year or cc up to 600, will be allowed to compete in all Super Stock classes.

Am I missing something? To me it looks just like last season. Jr's ride 440's. Sport riders regardless of age may ride a 600. This year, they've also permitted 440's into the Super Stock class.
This looks to be more liberal, not more restrictive. Keeps cost down in the Jr divisions with not needing a new sled and lets a rider that moved to sport at mid season get even more track time using the same 440.

I would hope that by the time any 14-15 16-17 rider was approved for sport classes, there would be no debate over thier ability to control a 600.

I won't even get into the 440 vs 600 thing. The move to 600's was a failure as far as reducing the cost of racing.

J
Dec 24, 2007
MN
I agree -- I too really do not wish to get into the 44-/600 thing. The manufactures intentions were fine - the race circuit last year did not get it clear enough soon enough and now there are still questions. The answer from the person from Rock Maple really is the best. Last year juniors were on 440's some picked up 600 for super stock during the season. But what was going on was there were decent classes for the 440's in sport class regardless of your age (old enough to run liquids). I think that is the key. Which included juniors last season.
Pick up a cheap 440 and go racing you will have a blast. There will be enough strong 440's around for 1 to 2 more seasons and then the used 600 will start to get affordable.
I think most people on this thread think alike but we all got confused a little on the change over to 600's --could have been smoother but WPSA is no longer with us.
The young guys that already go fast will have a place to race I am sure. i am just hoping for more racers in our sport.
JAK

I
Nov 28, 2007
I know that last year they had a hard time getting enough entries in 600 only classes. I hope that the only change is to allow 440's to run with 600's for sport classes. ( get rid of 600 super stock class)I also heard something about a de-tuned liquid for juniors. From what I heard there was several under 18 Juniors who were racing Junior and Sport classes on 600's.
From what Rock Maple says it unclear whether under 18 Junior riders who also race sport will be able to ride a 600. This should be decided well in advance of end of season not after the buy deadline. In my opinion any rider who is allowed to race sport SHOULD be allowed on a 600. In our circuit last year we didn't seperate 440's and 600's, we just ran them as up to 600 classes like it looks like they are doing this year. There was not much of an advantage racing a 600 vs. a 440. What I would like to see is a wasy to detune the 440's for 10-13 yr' olds. They spend more to get a fan and keep it together than a 14-17 yr. old racing a 440 liquid by far. Cat and Ski-doo have a decent fan now but Polaris has nothing for these under 14 yr. old riders.

I
Nov 28, 2007
I emailed ISR yesterday for verification on under 18 on 600's, nothing yet.
I'm thinking one day races will be very desireable this winter to save riders $$$.

I
Nov 28, 2007
How would that hurt them?
We do 3 rounds of racing in 1 day vs. stretching out the same races into 2 days. Also looking at Sun. as an open practice 3-4 hrs. for those who'd like more seat time.

I realize it costs alot to travel long distances but adding hotel/ meals to your weekend expenses I would only make it cost more. What's the benefit of 2 days?

G
Apr 23, 2008
If you are approved to race in the SPORT classes, you ARE cleared to compete on the 600.

We have many 16 year olds in sport 600 and super stock .

To clarify ,, there is no minimum age for the 600 just a CLASS requirment.

Corin Todd of Otego NY, won the 09 doo sled as the super sport champion in Rock Maple series last season, he is now just 15. He is going into the 08-09 season as a semi pro...

The age rules apply only to the JUNIOR DIVISIONS.
Gus Bohne

S
Apr 19, 2008
Questions as to how it costs less to race one day as to two? ok, I agree to the fact that you have to spend the night, as far as eating ? So IRACE when you guys race one day events & 3 rounds is this 2 heats/ & a final or 3 heats & a final? cost for racing with you guys for a day? We have run WPSA the past 3 years, 2 day weekends 100.00/ class, 2 heats / class on Sat, 1 heat & final on Sun. We all run 2 classes. If we were to run a one day schedule & me running the +40 & 45 classes..... also our thoughts on a one day weekend is if its more than 2 hours from home you are looking at a 12-14 hour day with drive time, set up, racing, trailer repack, super on the way home & drive time home.We still like the 2 day format, thanks for all the updates & info

I
Nov 28, 2007
Gus-
So can a Junior who didin't race Sport last year just show up with a 600 and get approved to race Sport on a 600? Just trying to clear things up for Juniors who are looking to get a 600 for this season.

Spikeboy- We race a total of 3 races a day. Last year we ran it as a round robin format: points for each round by finish. Total all 3 rounds up and most points is overall winner. Looking at running round robin again this year for first 2 rounds and last round as a final. However, points for day would be total for all 3 rounds. You must not have been racing WPSA Wisc. last year? I don't see a class for Vets that is over plus 35?
From their weekend schedule most classes only raced 2 rounds and a final with the exception of classes that had a LCQ and Semi-pro, Pro.
Sno-x racing started out as one day events. As #'s went up it was tough to get it done in a day. #'s have gone way down in recent years. We've ran as many as 250 entries+ in a day. Most of our riders like the 1 day format as it gives them Sun. to do something with their families, etc. Our pricing is a little less than what WPSA was charging. Racers who raced with us told me they saved alot of $$ by not having to race 2 days. We do some things different. Is it better for everyone? Probably not but the majority like it. We're kicking around the idea of Sun. being an open practice/ test session for 3-4 hrs. to get riders more seat time, don't know if it would be work or not?

K

kssnow987

Dec 4, 2007
Arlington, WA
IMO, it's not worth driving 8-12 hours for a one day 3 heat event with no main. If numbers are truely down, run a 2 day event with a final each day. If a racer chooses to run only one day so be it, he is probably not in it for points anyway. And as far as practice goes, why spend an extra day and not have a race. Fuel is going to be the major travel expense next year, take a 10 race schedule and have it on 5 weekends. That would save thousands of dollars right there. I also bet the people running the event would be happier. Just my .02

I
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe your on to something. Two races in a weekend for the expence of travel to one location. I think race location and promoter would come out ok as long as everyone is aware that entry fees would double, maybe a break on gate for weekend pass.
What's everyone else's thoughts?

Premium Features