• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled chain issue - why didn't I buy mototrax

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
So I haven't even rode my timbersled Sx and already completely wish I bought a mototrax....I've searched everything on the chain issues and still un sure. Want to test my bike saturday and make sure its ready for the mountains. Bike is 2012 kx450f with 2016 sx120 kit. I have the 13 tooth sprocket on and the air at 225psi in tss to give more slack. idler wheel adjuster is backed all the way out. Chain is extremely tight. Like feel like it will snap tight. Chain is already a 1mm or less away from frame rub. So I probably can't put a 12 tooth sprocket on to get clearance and probably cant get one in time anyway. How do I avoid catastrophic failure saturday. And any good way to strech chain (chain and kit has 3 hours on it from previous owner)
picture.php

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
13 tooth is whats recommended. No one sells half links in town and I need something asap. Adding full links I assume will make it way too long?

S

skidoo151

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
If you had bought a mototrack you wouldn't have it . My buddy ordered 6 weeks ago and they still are telling him 2 more weeks .thats what they told him from the time they cashed the check.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
My SnowtechMX has tons of adjustment... lots of chain sliders too. I can run any CS sprocket I want.
2bde5aa6e244071180b263db0b7839c1

H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Did you not get the chain slider that clips on to the TS frame? it stops the frame rub. And my chain is really tight as well but no issues, it stretches out so just keep and eye on the tension first few rides. you dont want it too slack because when the TSS compresses your chain slacks off, too loose and you'll start shredding the idler/tensioner sprocket.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Hiltz, that is what I keep hearing. But I also hear the people who snap chains and destroy the shaft on the bike or the bearings on the timbersled. I'll try it and pray if anything happens its just snapping a chain. But no I don't think I got the frame slides or wouldn't have room for them anyway with the chain tightness.

H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I rode last year without the slider (before they addressed the issue)I have some chain rub now but it's not a huge deal. I installed the slider as soon as they sent it to me... I'd ask your dealer, it should have come with one. Also I rode with the "bad" chain all year, fairly rough and never had an issue. When I say my chain was tight on install... I mean really tight i had to push the TS frame past the axle holes and lift the kit up to get my master link in. It stretches tho, this year was cake.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I had same issue with my 12 Kawi and the SX kit but that was with a new chain and it wore in within a couple miles and I put my 13 tooth on. I was running a 15 SX kit not sure if anything has changed since then.

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
If you had bought a mototrack you wouldn't have it . My buddy ordered 6 weeks ago and they still are telling him 2 more weeks .thats what they told him from the time they cashed the check.

I have my Mototrax in my living room........................

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Altec- ya trying to get a little ditch banging session in just to try it out and get a feel.

I lowered the TSS shock to 200 psi and got a little more slack, it does slack a bit more when I sit on it. So I figure as long as I am not jumping hopefully I can get the chain to stretch enough before I go out west. Also got a buddy who might be bringing me a 12 tooth sprocket just in case, so we will see.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
You are missing the chain slider that will protect your subframe from chain rub. So get that from your dealer (it was a free upgrade for all 16 kits). The chain WILL stretch as it breaks in so a lot of people will run a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket until the chain stretches and then toss on the 13 tooth. It is OK for the chain to be VERY tight for your first ride.... it should only take about 1-2 rides for it to stretch to the point you will need to adjust it.

You do not have the junk JT chains that came with the 16 kits last year based on the picture I'm seeing. And even if you did the problem wasn't the chain snapping in two... the chain would literally stretch until it wore out and the chain would overheat and then break. So don't expect to be riding down the road and your chain will just blindly break in two... that didn't happen. Mine got so hot that it would boil water and if you touched it you would burn your finger. First, find out if the chain you have is a JT chain, if it isn't then don't even worry about breaking it. Before the JT chain issue you NEVER heard of someone going through a chain that kept it within adjustment.

You have an SX Timbersled.... one of the most sought after kits on the market. You made the right choice especially since that SX kit will stomp a mudhole in the Mototrax kit that was on the market last season. I can't speak to this years kit until riders get out and do some comparisons.

Edit: Just checked JT's website and some of their chains do have gold links... so it might be a JT. I remember mine having a JT stamp on the links so possibly it was upgraded. Check with the guy you bought it from and see if he got the chain upgraded or not.

Last edited:
A
Oct 4, 2016
Lewiston ID
I keep hearing about this chain slider but reality is they are on backorder til who knows when.. if someone knows where one on a shelf is.. im a motivated buyer at over retail!

Premium Features