• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultamite bookdocker build

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
Ultimate Maine Backcountry Build

Hey all.
Going to start building a new sled as soon as I get out of school in 2 weeks. Done my senior year in Mechanical Engineering Technology. Some have you may have seen my build last fall of the xlt with the tube tunnel. Well that just opened the flood gates for me. After getting to ride it for a week I was hooked on the light weight and super responsiveness that the chromoly has to offer. I am going to build an entire chassis this year. I am going to base the front suspension on the IQ chassis a arms. Going to go either 146 or 155 with this one. Will somewhat base it off of the rest of the IQ chassis also. Going to go with a watercraft triple for a motor. Hopefully 1365, already have the cases.

Also the biggest deal is the rear suspension I am designing. Not going to say anything about it as i will need to try it before I can say anything about it but its def not like anything out there now.

Here is my build plan,
let me know what I should change

Controls
Fastrax Throttle block
Fastrax Wilwood master
Fly aero taper carbon rap mini bend
Fly handle bar hooks
Fabcraft Poly bar and mount
Fly racing riser
Fastrax 4 button billet control block
Powermadd Hand guards

Front Suspension
Walker Evens needle ski shocks
one off chromoly front suspension

Rear suspension
Ice Age Rails
Fox float Front shock
WPS Rear wheels 8" black plastic wheels
WPS Top wheels 4-5/8 inch black plastic
WPS Limiter straps
Ice Age 2 wheel rear axle
Ice age anti stab kit
Rear shock ???

Drive Train
Wahl Anti ratchet Drivers
Wahl Jack shaft and drive shafts
Ebay Polaris Chaincase/ gears/ brake rotor/ caliper 300

Body
MTN fit Hood
MTN fit Vents 12 piece kit
EABY IQR Body work
EBAY IQR Console
MTN fit Side panel vents
EBAY IQ dragon Seat

Ski/Track
Tracks USA 9104 Challenger extreme 155x2.5x15
SLP Powder Pro skis black comp. mount all black

Chassis
Chassis Shop Tubing
Chassis Shop Rod ends
Chassis Shop Tube inserts
Chassis Shop Tank cap
WPS Cooler material
Bangor Steel Aluminum for the tank
McMasterCarr All stainless hardware
Ebay IQ Rack steering
Bangor steel Aluminum for tunnel
McMasterCarr Bushings, cross shafts etc

Engine
Watercraft base all goodies from 1200psi
EV cylinders hopefully 1365
ultra ignition
bored rack slides
www.pcsperformance.com Pipes and porting

Please give suggestions its kinda bugget minded even those obviously not going to be cheap, its just not a 25,000 turbo yami or anything

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
how about buying a little lathe so you can make all your bushings, rod ends and all that other stuff.

I think the little craftsman 6" could do most of it.. might save some dough for the fastrax goodies.. lol

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
yeah if I had a lathe it would be easy to make them but at the same time it would be not really worth my time for the 12$ it costs for a pair from chassis shop.

I would love to get the 1500 cylinders but my buddy is actually funding the motor for this. Next year he is going to build the second chassis and I will build another motor so we have two. We need to get one built cause we got ourselves into a friendly wager with phil at PCS Performance to build a full tube chassis mtn sled as he is going to build one too.

Yes I will be taking pictures as soon as I get started on it in a few weeks

Looking hard for 800 cylinders that are in rough shape and in need of repair??

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
If you have a buddy funding the 1365, then yeah run it!!! I just have the little 1200 ves in a prox/holz mtn chassis that runs great! The 1365 should run plenty good.

The neat thing on the wc based motors is there are a few diffrent options but from a 1050 up to a 1500 if you build it correctly from the start the cost diffrence between the diffrent dissplacements isnt that much.

Just dont cut corners on these motors and you will have the most relialble 225-300+hp naturally asperated engine on pump fuel money can buy!!!!

If you shop around when buying cyls, ignition, waterpump, cases, and the small stuff is where you can save alot of money!!!

1200wcpipes.jpg

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Looks good. Im addicted to the chromoloy chassis too. One suggestion so far is go with Avid drivers. The Whals dont hold up to horsepower well. Just my experience.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Looks good. Im addicted to the chromoloy chassis too. One suggestion so far is go with Avid drivers. The Whals dont hold up to horsepower well. Just my experience.

your expereince???:face-icon-small-win I guess you do have to ride with me.. so yeah.

the whals SUCK BAD!! i have my track as tight as I can get it... its starting to bend the adjust bolts and it still ratchets in sticky snow. buy avids and enjoy life.

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
If you have a buddy funding the 1365, then yeah run it!!! I just have the little 1200 ves in a prox/holz mtn chassis that runs great! The 1365 should run plenty good.

The neat thing on the wc based motors is there are a few diffrent options but from a 1050 up to a 1500 if you build it correctly from the start the cost diffrence between the diffrent dissplacements isnt that much.

Just dont cut corners on these motors and you will have the most relialble 225-300+hp naturally asperated engine on pump fuel money can buy!!!!

If you shop around when buying cyls, ignition, waterpump, cases, and the small stuff is where you can save alot of money!!!

Yeah to me the 1365 should be able to be built for nearly the same cost. We are going to have to plate the cylinders after porting anyways so mine as well punch them out while we are at it. Can probably get the boring done for nothing.
What are you running for ignition we will probably go 650 or ultra for availability reasons.
We have a very very good pipe builder and porter within a mile of my shop that is going to show us how to port it and build pipes for it. No CS stampings or anything, just fully hand build and rolled pipes. Hoping to be making 270 which seems easily feasible. He can get 180 out of a 800 twin in full mod form with his pipes and stuff.

Will def look into the avid drivers instead if you guys say they are that much better. I think they are about the same cost.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the wahls are definately a bit cheaper.. but you should see the tips on mine.. they look like grass swaying in the wind under power.

this should be a fun toy.. can wait to see more of it as you start getting down to buisness.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Im running the ultra ign on mine, the ultra ign is WAY better than the 650 ign. power output and timing curve both!!

I have crankshop stampings on mine that fit very well other than a 2"+ hood, havent dyno'd or anything but I have plenty to compare it to on the snow and it holds its own to say the least!! My best kill was a supercharged nytro at 17lbs that mac @ MPI personally tuned out here in cali!!!

I have whal's on my 1200 and avids on my impulse boosted apex runnin 18lbs. avids are higher quality without a doubt!!! These motors make low end instant grunt which I have yet to see a turbo have as much as! go with good drivers, on that 1365 its only gunna have more power all the way around!!!

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
Im running the ultra ign on mine, the ultra ign is WAY better than the 650 ign. power output and timing curve both!!

I have crankshop stampings on mine that fit very well other than a 2"+ hood, havent dyno'd or anything but I have plenty to compare it to on the snow and it holds its own to say the least!! My best kill was a supercharged nytro at 17lbs that mac @ MPI personally tuned out here in cali!!!

I have whal's on my 1200 and avids on my impulse boosted apex runnin 18lbs. avids are higher quality without a doubt!!! These motors make low end instant grunt which I have yet to see a turbo have as much as! go with good drivers, on that 1365 its only gunna have more power all the way around!!!

Well I will def be going with avids from the sounds of things.

Has anyone used mega or micro squirt and made one of these watercraft motors a fuely? Looking into doing it, going to try and get some throttle bodies that have the fuel injector right in them and all three are mounted together with common fuel rail. Think it would make it killer pull and go setup.

T

the_hog

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern MT/Western ND
Well I will def be going with avids from the sounds of things.

Has anyone used mega or micro squirt and made one of these watercraft motors a fuely? Looking into doing it, going to try and get some throttle bodies that have the fuel injector right in them and all three are mounted together with common fuel rail. Think it would make it killer pull and go setup.

If you have facebook add Fastrax as a friend. Curt and a guy out of Bismarck, ND have built a fuelie turbo 1400 WC. They used a single Porsche throttle body I believe. The guy out of Bismarck is a member here as well so he might see this and chime in.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Doesn't the 1500 need more different parts than the 1200? Aftermarket crank and cylinders. How far can the std 800 polaris cylinders be bored out to and what piston can you run in them?And oh before i forget AVIDS only.And after talking to Brad there is a big difference in price from the 1200 to the 1500. The crank for that is about 3,000 and 1200 each for cylinders.Also a 1365? probably not but a 1290 sure.Just info is all.

Last edited:
C

cowboymann02

Jan 3, 2008
south sioux city,ne
Get a hold of a guy in Minneapolis,MN under the company name Delaughter racing.com
he has been building triple moter back in the 80's when i was just a kid. he use to build his own triples by taking two twin and cutting them in half an rewelding them together, long be fore most people knew. He is hard to get use to but does a hell of a job building and test motors. he use to run a coors drag sled back in the day. hope this helps

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
well its been a slow start to this build and sorry for the lack of pictures. Been trying to get some parts bought. Finally got started with the one off rear suspension as you can see in the pics. Got 04 Pro xr 440 front shocks iqr chain case and caliper, WE remote clicker shortened for the rear track shock. got all the crank parts and cylinders we need.

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
got the tunnel sides all tacked up not hooked to the steering hoop yet
149204_763220587719_5821607_41201688_5824739_n.jpg

73097_763220747399_5821607_41201693_5697097_n.jpg

73907_763219654589_5821607_41201645_8164004_n.jpg

74406_763219659579_5821607_41201646_1773743_n.jpg

71527_763219674549_5821607_41201648_4201193_n.jpg

Premium Features