• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hope your christmas was better than mine...

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
1600 miles on my primary and it exploded today, spider failure. Awful nice of Arctic Cat to build these POS clutches that aren't rebuildable...and are known for failures. Grenaded my clutch cover and my hood as well in a big pull, luckily I didn't roll down the entire mountain and break more than my sled.

As there was no possible way to get towed out, I ended up walking out/riding double and the sled is going to have to spend the night out on the mountain until I can get the dealer to give me a loaner primary to get it off the mountain. I WILL not be purchasing another arctic cat primary, much better to pony up for the P-85.

For Arctic Cat's sake I wish they would resolve this issue before someone gets seriously injured.

Pics to come, when I can find my mini usb cord.

Merry Christmas Everyone,
Hope yours was better than mine,
Rob :face-icon-small-fro

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
Things like this really piss me off. Cat has to know that its a problem on there part, but they do nothing about it. Does someone need to die before they will recall the clutches?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
We use to go through 3-4 spiders a year on our M Sleds. Kepe inmind we ride over 3,000 ,mountain miles every season.

Since 2011, we have not had an issue with the spiders. I do not know if they fixed it or not.. But the 2011 sled's (which only has about 2K on it) spider seems to be doing fine (and we would have never madeit 2K without at least 2 spider failures). So, some thing is different.. So, I suspect if you get a new clutch, it MAY be fixed.. We have also done our own P-85 converison.. (lots of work and not sure there are much performance gains ..BUT the fact that you can rebuild the clutch is a biggy..)

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So, sounds like for those of us that have to travel west to ride, a spare primary needs to be added to the spare parts supply?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Mine started cracking the spider in the center where it threads on to the shaft ,It started on the side towards the sheve so keep an eye on that area. i'm not sure if this is the normal place they break or not,maybe some one else will chime in on that.Personally the polaris clutch has issues with wearing out the wt bushings and then swinging with a tilt which eats the clutch. A combination of the 2 would be the best set up in my opinion.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Ok...I lied.

Purchased a new 2011 primary...Freeagent (Michelle) offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. It was amazing how cheap she was compared to everyone else. I will be doing all my ordering through her now.

Big thanks to Michelle.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
The thought process that you will see a crack or catch it before it grenades is a pipe dream. I personally have never talked to anyone who has stated they seen it cracked and then fixed it. Mine blew 25 miles from trail and I had the 2007 four tower. I religiously checked the clutch before I rode because people were having issues with them. Once they go they go.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
I had just taken mine apart a week ago to clean and inspect it, maybe 100 miles ago? There were no signs of wear or cracking. One of the spider arms broke about halfway up to the button bushings. This breaking allowed the weight to over extend (at max rpm). With no spider roller to hold the weight back it flew out of the clutch and broke where it attach's with the pin. Looking at the piece it showed no sign that it was fatiguing previously to failure. Break was clean. I will get pictures when I get the sled off the mountain, i took some when it happened but that camera only can be downloaded by mini usb and I can't find it. I'll take some with the smaller camera later.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
in the clutch

HMMMMM. always ongoing thread the last 20 years, exploding clutch's, just now we can all see and hear it on the WWW.

Cat or Polaris have never built a clutch to my knowledge. they design them and then farm out the work to........last I knew all the same outfit. Years ago it was comet, but they all blew up, now its ??

Biggest new snowmobile model problems have always been clutch issues. The epic PC hot belt thread is going to set an involvement record here shortly.

Looking back over the last 30 years of bad front clutch issues, 100% uncontrolled vibration problems from, wow, too many varaibles that have been changed and fixed and eliminated from model to model. Here we are 45 years later with everyone using some variation on the 6 tower /three arm/ three weights clutch with a little more iron added here and there. Bad belts,weird clutching combinations, bad engine vibrations east clutch's.
Some of this factory induced, some wear induced and some shade tree induced. Most common common denominator I've seen over the years is belt issues ( burnt, worn, soft,hot, short ).

Up until the laydown cat motor, agood smartly blown cat belt was followed within a 100 miles by a broken crank.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
The thought process that you will see a crack or catch it before it grenades is a pipe dream. I personally have never talked to anyone who has stated they seen it cracked and then fixed it. Mine blew 25 miles from trail and I had the 2007 four tower. I religiously checked the clutch before I rode because people were having issues with them. Once they go they go.

You want to talk to me? i personally was inspecting my clutch a week and a half ago and seen a crack halfway through the spider so i put a new clutch on . lucky you bet. but i was looking for it when i seen it. 08 m/1000

I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
You want to talk to me? i personally was inspecting my clutch a week and a half ago and seen a crack halfway through the spider so i put a new clutch on . lucky you bet. but i was looking for it when i seen it. 08 m/1000

'10 M8.

This is what it looks like-

2010BrokenSpider_001.jpg

2010BrokenSpider_002.jpg

Last edited:
F
Apr 28, 2009
Turner,MT
clutch explosion

Rob :face-icon-small-fro[/QUOTE]

At least you had enough snow to go ride...my clutch is going to last forever at this rate.(in all honesty that sucks) If they changed the 2011 spider why is it the same part number?

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Rob :face-icon-small-fro

At least you had enough snow to go ride...my clutch is going to last forever at this rate.(in all honesty that sucks) If they changed the 2011 spider why is it the same part number?[/QUOTE]

According to Michelle (Freeagent) the part numbers have changed, and there have been less issues with the 2011. With such a cheap price on the clutch, I can have racingstation rebuild the other clutch with new spider, re-balance, and bead blasting and sell it for what I paid for a new clutch.

Premium Features