• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Panthera 550 ES with balancer........ is this game over?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpantheramotorsports%2Fvideos%2F595019677508570%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...5019677508570,"share_id":0}]}}&__tn__=*s*sH-R

Or if not game over maybe search over? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
https://www.pantheramotorsports.com/us/engines/pm07-18-engine/pm07-18-order/

352188aefe3b51b8240a33b1860fe553.jpg

CAD.

03984b0ddb0b91e27b186f1e5ac6922b.jpg

Last edited:

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Still needs to be FI and now you are talking $10K. Snowbiking has a long way to go to have the right amount of power for the cost of a snowmobile. Also, sleds can be had with 4yrs warranty.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
Still needs to be FI and now you are talking $10K. Snowbiking has a long way to go to have the right amount of power for the cost of a snowmobile. Also, sleds can be had with 4yrs warranty.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Lectron makes FI a non issue, my PWK runs flawless as it is Lectrons are even better. Wondering if this one is based off of the KX5 motor being it has a powervalve. 6 speed is awesome as well. That would drop right into my KTM project frame. Hmmmmm?

M5

https://www.pantheramotorsports.com/us/engines/pm07-18-engine/pm07-18-details/

Last edited:
R
Apr 18, 2016
It says it's a direct bolt in for the TRX 450 and makes over 100hp, 72ftlbs. The price isn't all that bad considering what people are getting for CR500's these days or just motors on ebay. KTM swap would be killer, steel frame would probably be pretty easy to modify. He offers it with either the Lectron or 40mm PWK as options for ad ons. I think looking at it you could probably mod a CR500 pipe to fit but I would be talking to Sebastion to see if that expansion chamber would work with that motor. For me the pipe would be the big concern, the rest seems easy enough to modify. 6 speed would be sweet. I am good with my 500 everywhere, but the trail. Last year I rode trail for about 20 feet and then we ducked into the woods and started ripping. This year with the snow we have it has been pretty long rides on the trail to get to high enough altitude. 6 miles of mid RPM on trail 5th gear 500 time gets pretty old. For me and the KTM 6speed crew that has to wait for me to get there.

M
Jan 14, 2004
My YZ and my CR5 are pretty even on the trail, both could use a 6th gear. The CR5 pulls taller gears though with the 14/16 so all out top speed is better. This summer when I freshen up the YZ I'm going to slap in a WR overdrive 5th gear, it will be a little better on the trail then. I don't like winding the CR5 out on the trail so I just putt my way up there but you are right it gets old fast. The balancer in the Panthera motor is the secret combined with a 6 speed, wow.

M5

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
so is this engine compatible to but in any current bike frame or do we build from scratch?

It is a drop in motor for a trx450r.
(Per the website)

I think an slp cr500 pipe (like the klim bike) would work.
(Since that is a panthera motor)

Last edited:
R
Apr 18, 2016
My AF trail/woods/singletracker I run a silver bottom end for the slightly taller 4th and 5th. The sand bike and the snow bike I run black bottom end close ratios on. The sand bike is fine with 5 gears. The snow bike I switched out to one of my black bottom ends this year because I thought I would prefer the gears stacked close for powder climbs, I have been happy with the close ratio tranny and the long track everywhere except trail. To be honest I don't really dig trail that much anyway but if I could bang on a 6th gear I certainly would.

I do believe that cylinder is a Liger cylinder, same they have stacked onto the CR5 bottom and KX5 bottom ends...so maybe that Klim bike pipe would work or just one of the 500 offerings. I'll have to look up a couple guys on the 500 site and see what pipe they used on their Liger builds.

At first I was kind of worried about locating the motor properly in the frame as it looked like it didn't use the swingarm through hole. On the AF's that's kind of how you start by laying it in there with the swingarm bolt in it, get it aligned correctly from your counter shaft sprocket to the rear and build off of that. Looking at factory cases on ebay I see they do have that hole so hopefully worst case is a set of bushing to fit motor to frame/snow kit.

So who is going to bite the bullet and go for it?

On a side note I did see a little clip of a set of Timbersled drive rollers, when the guy was done installing the rollers he pushed the kit across the floor and when he let go it probably rolled another 3 feet. When I think about the resistance on my kit I think if mine rolled that easily I could put the spank down on a 100hp bike that had to turn my kit in it's current configuration. This was just some private movie a guy at the shop had on his phone, he said his buddy is working on a patent or something. I told him I would buy a set the minute they become available.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Well that is way more affordable then the billet set up that you had to out together with the liger... That was coming out to 10000 before porting and putting it together ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
lots of chirp on these panthera motors.

has anyone, anywhere seen one run? thats what i would be finding out before i laid out cash.

pipe is easy. phone neil. hes done more dyno and on snow testing of big 2 stroke pipes than anyone else.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
My AF trail/woods/singletracker I run a silver bottom end for the slightly taller 4th and 5th. The sand bike and the snow bike I run black bottom end close ratios on. The sand bike is fine with 5 gears. The snow bike I switched out to one of my black bottom ends this year because I thought I would prefer the gears stacked close for powder climbs, I have been happy with the close ratio tranny and the long track everywhere except trail. To be honest I don't really dig trail that much anyway but if I could bang on a 6th gear I certainly would.

I do believe that cylinder is a Liger cylinder, same they have stacked onto the CR5 bottom and KX5 bottom ends...so maybe that Klim bike pipe would work or just one of the 500 offerings. I'll have to look up a couple guys on the 500 site and see what pipe they used on their Liger builds.

At first I was kind of worried about locating the motor properly in the frame as it looked like it didn't use the swingarm through hole. On the AF's that's kind of how you start by laying it in there with the swingarm bolt in it, get it aligned correctly from your counter shaft sprocket to the rear and build off of that. Looking at factory cases on ebay I see they do have that hole so hopefully worst case is a set of bushing to fit motor to frame/snow kit.

So who is going to bite the bullet and go for it?

On a side note I did see a little clip of a set of Timbersled drive rollers, when the guy was done installing the rollers he pushed the kit across the floor and when he let go it probably rolled another 3 feet. When I think about the resistance on my kit I think if mine rolled that easily I could put the spank down on a 100hp bike that had to turn my kit in it's current configuration. This was just some private movie a guy at the shop had on his phone, he said his buddy is working on a patent or something. I told him I would buy a set the minute they become available.

What are “Timbersled drive rollers”?

M
Jan 14, 2004
lots of chirp on these panthera motors.

has anyone, anywhere seen one run? thats what i would be finding out before i laid out cash.

pipe is easy. phone neil. hes done more dyno and on snow testing of big 2 stroke pipes than anyone else.

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist this thread, LOL.

M5

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
102HP must be in full race tune. I would be thrilled with a reliable 70HP on pump fuel.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Gosh I’d like to try that engine. I believe this price is approaching what a maico 685 engine costs though isn’t it? Not a bad thing, just saying, and Canada is closer that wherever those unicorn things are made. But that’s an all day Long engine rated at 82hp. Not sure if they have e start though. In any case, very cool!

47D3E581-CF08-485C-828A-2A0D10FA5B07.jpeg

Last edited:

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
102 hp? Really? From a 550? What magic was used to produce all this extra power? Hmmmmm. I guess the old engineers that designed the old KX and CR 500's must have been total morons. Who knew there was an extra 40 horse in those things.Making an honest extra 10 hp. is monumental. Congratulations for adding 40.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
After rereading my post it looks like I'm being a sarcastic a-hole again. I apologize. Possibly fatigue from a great ride today and a few shots of Jim Beam. Sorry.

Premium Features