• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BURANDTS 2018 "OPTIMUS LIME" VIDEO

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FChrisBurandt%2Fvideos%2F1713735928690704%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>​

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had a chance to talk to Chris about this build. He did say it's getting hard to improve on his previous sleds. So he was trying to find ways to make it more affordable to drop that weight. I think Chris has done a great job of becoming a builder for customers. He has great connections with Boondocker, Fox, Skinz, SLP and so many others. If money were not an object, I would have him build mine.

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Im sure the parts are not costing him that much?? Prob got companies falling all over themselves to have him as a sponsor. I don't know maybe im wrong.

340lbs? that's friggen crazy. As many trees as I hit I don't think he would want me riding that thing!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Im sure the parts are not costing him that much?? Prob got companies falling all over themselves to have him as a sponsor. I don't know maybe im wrong.

340lbs? that's friggen crazy. As many trees as I hit I don't think he would want me riding that thing!

He is probably quoting the price using MSRP numbers.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
All those stock skis in the herd of sleds. Someone should has him how many ski stops he goes through in a season.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
the concept of the sled is cool but just so unpractical with the cost of it all mods! 15 for the sled 408 pounds 17 for the mods 370 pounds. so for 32 grand you to can have shaved 38 pounds off your buddies and gained 20.6 HP and 9.4 pounds of torque {or their about all depending on your elevation}. so say 180 hp / 370 pounds = 2.05 hp per pound... now a turbo can easily give you 200 hp at a constant {regardless of elevation} and add {well the one I run} less than 3 pounds more than stock so a 411 pound sled. 200 hp / 411 pounds =2.05 hp pre pound and the turbo costs around 5000$. the NA sled will loose hp as it gains elevation so the power to weight will drop rapidly but the turbo can hold the hp as it gains elevation and will quickly out preform the NA build, not to mention that weight savings tend to weaken some parts and cost even more to fix/maintain....like I said its cool but seems so far from practical in my reasoning that I cant see building it or having it built for me! not saying that some of the products in his build wouldn't be unreasonable to add or worth the cash but some are a bit heavy on the wallet for what you are getting IMO. but to each his own im am pos. that this sled is worth every penny to someone!!! well that's my 2c on the build

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I follow what you are saying and agree with you too an extent.
And I COMPLETELY understand the cost factor in arriving there. Totally get that.

However, I would also counter (and I'm sure you understand) that power to weight ratio is far more beneficial to the rider when the chassis weight is less.
For example I'd much rather ride a 350 pound sled with 175 horse than I would a 600 pound sled at 300hp.
It takes more money to remove weight than it does to add horsepower, but it wasn't always that way.
In the old days, up until about 12 years ago, it took $100 for every pound to drop or HP to add.
It's not so easy to drop weight now when sleds are 100 pounds lighter than they were a decade or two ago.

We would buy heads, pipes and port/polish a sled for $1000 to gain 10-15hp (and that was a hot sled).

the concept of the sled is cool but just so unpractical with the cost of it all mods! 15 for the sled 408 pounds 17 for the mods 370 pounds. so for 32 grand you to can have shaved 38 pounds off your buddies and gained 20.6 HP and 9.4 pounds of torque {or their about all depending on your elevation}. so say 180 hp / 370 pounds = 2.05 hp per pound... now a turbo can easily give you 200 hp at a constant {regardless of elevation} and add {well the one I run} less than 3 pounds more than stock so a 411 pound sled. 200 hp / 411 pounds =2.05 hp pre pound and the turbo costs around 5000$. the NA sled will loose hp as it gains elevation so the power to weight will drop rapidly but the turbo can hold the hp as it gains elevation and will quickly out preform the NA build, not to mention that weight savings tend to weaken some parts and cost even more to fix/maintain....like I said its cool but seems so far from practical in my reasoning that I cant see building it or having it built for me! not saying that some of the products in his build wouldn't be unreasonable to add or worth the cash but some are a bit heavy on the wallet for what you are getting IMO. but to each his own im am pos. that this sled is worth every penny to someone!!! well that's my 2c on the build

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
I follow what you are saying and agree with you too an extent.
And I COMPLETELY understand the cost factor in arriving there. Totally get that.

However, I would also counter (and I'm sure you understand) that power to weight ratio is far more beneficial to the rider when the chassis weight is less.
For example I'd much rather ride a 350 pound sled with 175 horse than I would a 600 pound sled at 300hp.
It takes more money to remove weight than it does to add horsepower, but it wasn't always that way.
In the old days, up until about 12 years ago, it took $100 for every pound to drop or HP to add.
It's not so easy to drop weight now when sleds are 100 pounds lighter than they were a decade or two ago.

We would buy heads, pipes and port/polish a sled for $1000 to gain 10-15hp (and that was a hot sled).

100% spot on. You have no idea how many people still figure on the$100/#. Unfortunately it's just plain not reality anymore. I can't think of anything that has gone down in price and for the aftermarket it gets tougher all the time. Maybe not tomorrow, and maybe not next week or even next year, but sooner or later technology will be beyond anyone's expectations. I think the things that will be both added and eliminated will blow your mind. Like they say, it's not what's at the end, it's the journey. I'm sure either way it won't be cheap.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
At the end of the day, the lighter sled will tire you out less. I'll take lighter versus heavier with more horsepower.

It will take extensive carbon fiber usage to really get the weights down a lot more.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I think the last sled... the "jenny craig" was laking in CF parts... Wasn't it?

That would push it even lower in weight.

Plus, who knows... maybe Polaris has something new up their sleeve :face-icon-small-win

I guarantee that sled is a blast to ride !

Merry Christmas to you all !

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Polaris has something new but it's not for everyone, and if they release it next year is yet to be seen.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
weight does help keep fatigue down but the ergonomics the new sleds have play a bigger roll than most give it credit for {witch does not change with weight} ... point in case jump on a new 4stroker then on a early 2000 model 2stroker and you will instantly feel how much easer the 4stroker is to lay over it almost feels effortless compared to the sleds of old even though the weight is the close to the same. when you are talking 411 pounds {witch is a extremely light sled} VS 370pounds{with compromised strength in areas IMO} I am sure you will feel the difference but probably more in your skinny wallet and lose of body weight working alllllll that overtime trying to replace the 17,000$ that came out your wallet, not to mention that carbon-fiber breaks it doesn't bend like aluminum...it is a strong product and flexes but will break at the bending point and leave your rails/tunnel broke in half and leave you needing to get your sled home some how to replace that light weight speedy part....at some point its better to add a few pounds than take it away and this sled has probably found that point in more than 1 spot but for 17000 in parts I would love to hear what was worth the cash and what wasn't :D

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
OkI'm not going to bash carbon fiber,in every aspect, but I've also been in the game long enough to see it has it's place and when it's called for it's awesome...but a arms, rear suspension and some other areas, you end up adding so much MASS to the components to get them to hold up, it's right there with titanium weight wise if not more that you may as well use titanium. Been there "seen" it. Titanium losses it's benefits in components that demand zero flex, although extremely accelerate in areas such as arms that absorb impacts. Both are super labor intensive. Know what your buying before you pull the trigger, alot of carbon fiber/ titanium aftermarket companies using overseas product can end up as a display item in your garage.

Last edited:
Premium Features