• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex hard to start and won't idle NEED HELP

andre162

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2008
northern california
My 2006 Apex with a MPI Stage 1 is giving me problems starting and idling. I did a blead down test and everything looks good. I sent the controler to get checked out and it also checked out good. Is their anything else that i should be testing before i take it to the dealer? Any sensers that could be bad and cause this problem? Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Something to check: I have seen the charger belts be too loose and have drag that wont allow the sled to idle. The other option is to unplug your GEMS controller and plug the stock harness back in and try that. If it starts and idles with the stock configuration, you know it is the GEMS. If it is the controller, it could be set up wrong on the idle circuit or be an internal problem.

The other item I have found is spark plugs. If all else fails, check the plugs. Put some CR10EKs in there and make sure to warm it up good every time you start it.

andre162

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2008
northern california
I have tried unhooking the GEMS and it still had the same problem. I wil check the plugs and the blower belt and report back.. Thanks for the help You got to love having the forums for helping with problems like this!!!!!!!!!!!

andre162

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2008
northern california
I havent seen any codes flash. the sled will start if you give it a little throttle but then you have to stay on the throttle to keep it running. I removed that inercooler so no boost is getting to the motor and it seemed to help but not fix the problem. I pulled the plugs and they didnt look perfect so i am going to pick a set up Mon and put them in. It seems that it is a sensor problem but i am not sure. If that trottle position sensor is bad will it put out a code? thanks for all your help!!!!!!!

Sammy

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
Stony plain, Alberta
fairly easy to do. You will need to find a rubber or plastic boot that fits over the compessor inlet of your supercharger (air filter inlet) and install a schraeder valve in that boot. Schraeder valves can be found at any tire shop.Connect an air compressor to the schraeder valve just as you would to fill a tire.Be carefull not to over pressurize the system. I have a pressure regulator and guage on my system to regulate psi to around 20 lbs. The whole idea here is to pressurize your intake system and then go around a listen and check for air leaks. Soapy water will find the smallest of leaks. Simply check at all locations on the intake where there is a hose connection and at your throttle body connections as well as the intercooler. Once again be very careful with the amount of pressure as you could damage the intercooler and yourself. Just a note,air will constantly bleed past the butterflies in your throttle bodies so don't mistake this for a leak.

Hope this helps

Premium Features