For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: AXYS 2016 AXYS chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM
Currently: 7 miles above the earth traveling at 10 miles a minute
IFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond repute
Default SBA 800...Need Better Off Trail

So I was able to get out and get some riding in this past weekend and for the most part I love the sled. That said I was not overly happy with the off trail riding. I need better flotation and more track performance.

My 1st issue was in powder as soon as I would come off the throttle the skis would bite in and that was it the sled would stop. No coast at all. And of course as soon as the nose would dive in leading to my second issue the 1.35 Cobra would just trench to China. Even when I wasn't stuck I really thought the Cobra would give me a bit more traction than I got.

So I am looking for skis and a track. I still do a lot of trail riding but I definitely want better performance off trail than I am getting. Here is the setup I am considering:

Gripper Skis w/ 6" Shapers
Camso Backcountry 9206R Sno X
https://camso.co/en/snowmobile/products/backcountry

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Currently: Doing a snow dance!
dboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyEm View Post
So I was able to get out and get some riding in this past weekend and for the most part I love the sled. That said I was not overly happy with the off trail riding. I need better flotation and more track performance.

My 1st issue was in powder as soon as I would come off the throttle the skis would bite in and that was it the sled would stop. No coast at all. And of course as soon as the nose would dive in leading to my second issue the 1.35 Cobra would just trench to China. Even when I wasn't stuck I really thought the Cobra would give me a bit more traction than I got.

So I am looking for skis and a track. I still do a lot of trail riding but I definitely want better performance off trail than I am getting. Here is the setup I am considering:

https://camso.co/en/snowmobile/products/backcountry

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
I had a SBA 800 (2014). I put grippers with shapers, just like you are doing but it did come with the 2" track and lower gearing that the 2" track came with. i believe they did the same gearing as the RMK on those. I would take that thing ANYWHERE and it be pretty good. I had to work harder than my RMK now, but that is to be expected. I would strongly suggest the 2" track. Ran one scratchers down on icy stuff and never had issues. This is midwest snow that can be thin and icy.

As far as trenching, that probably was a symptom of the track and some shock adjustment.

Your sled will never be an RMK, but that is also the reason you have it. It will go most everywhere you buddies go on pure MTN sleds, just might have to use more gas and "want to".

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM
Currently: Not set.
Wood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond reputeWood has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, go with a 2” track...it’s the largest you can go without a driver swap. I’d go with a challenger....the Series IV Poo track is good in soft snow but is a bit soft if you do a lot of hardpack trails. The stock Pro Steer Skis are pure garbage. Grippers, Powder Pros or Mohawks. Swap gears if you change tracks....good idea even if you don’t.

At the end of the day, it will be better but it will still not go where an RMK 155+ will in the deep. Period. Been there, done that. Loved my 2014 SBA but too many frustrating days running with longer sleds was enough for me.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Basic Member
Lobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond repute

Moving your front controll arm into the upper hole also helps when riding in deep snow. I also had a 14 sba. Loved it and went a lot of places i shouldnt have with it. Also got stuck in a lot of places to. Haha.
If you are serious about keeping it I would look into some narrower shorter boards

Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Basic Member
Lobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond reputeLobster Carl has a reputation beyond repute

My setup was a 2014 sba 800 with the 2 inch track and lower gearing

Gripper skis
Swaybar removed
Front control arm in upper hole (makes better approach angle)

Thats about all the free stuff you can do. Maybe well have a pro 146 option for 2020.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Currently: Doing a snow dance!
dboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster Carl View Post
My setup was a 2014 sba 800 with the 2 inch track and lower gearing

Gripper skis
Swaybar removed
Front control arm in upper hole (makes better approach angle)

Thats about all the free stuff you can do. Maybe well have a pro 146 option for 2020.

I've wanted a 146 made for midwest Pro RMK for so long that I just went with the 155. I'm happy with it, but think a 146 would be perfect for me. I know everyone would say go SKS, well no I want the belt drive and every other aspect of the Pro, just think 155 is overkill for the boondocking in the UP and northern MN we do.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM
FlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond reputeFlatLand_J has a reputation beyond repute

Same situation in NY. I had an SKS 146 last year. The running boards load up right where you want your foot. The rear suspension is poorly matched with the front. Too stiff in the rear and too soft up front. Went to an 850 SKS 155 this year with Raptor Kinetics all the way around. 2.25 Peak track. Really liking it so far even though our season just started this week. 155 is definitely overkill but short lug is trail friendly (ish). Still waiting for a 146 RMK/SKS that has vert steering post, true RMK running boards, rails and weight. Anyways, 155 gets up on the snow much better at the cost of the light front end feel of the 146.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:02 AM
Currently: Waiting for snow
frntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond repute

You will be happier with the Grippers as they are wider and the front won't dive as much as it does with trail skis.

Another option (my preference on my 15 SBA) is SLP Mohawks. Great in both powder (floatation) and trails (tracking).

'18 Axys Pro RMK 800 155 SC
'15 Switchback Assault 800 - 60 th Anniv. Ed

Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM
Basic Member
RandyBonnette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

https://camso.co/en/snowmobile/products/backcountry/writemyessaytoday

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Hi there,

I ran 9" on my Pro Steers and now I run 6" on my Slydogs. However, that's too much. Btw, I found a guy on Hardcoresledder forums who is sharing his experience with SBA 800 (@talkiesled).

Last edited by RandyBonnette; 03-25-2019 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typos

Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Currently: Dreaming of colder days
motocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond reputemotocrazy2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Grippers. 2" track with gearing, could honestly go about 1 tooth lower... quick disconnect the sway bar, I left my disconnected most of the time, still did well on trail. Also lowered the limiter strap to bottom hole.

It did well, but is nothing like my PRO I upgraded to this year. I did like the width and nible of the short track, but had to get speed into anything you did. Not sure how well it would of done in the fluffy powder.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 AM
clamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond reputeclamlake600 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 04-18-2019, 12:22 AM
Currently: 7 miles above the earth traveling at 10 miles a minute
IFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond reputeIFlyEm has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Currently: Snowman.Pro
Snowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman.PRO. has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 05-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Currently: Waiting for snow
frntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond reputefrntflp has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register