• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 KX500 137SX Timbersled Build

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
91f9738581e472f882f2c2d3cc512b1f.jpg

This is kind of what I am talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Moving Foward

Today I worked on fixing my thermostat problem. When I flipped the thermostat over to the correct direction the brass nipple was to cramped against the radiator. There is not much room in this stock head design to put many accessories. I have a water temp gauge that I planned on adding but as for now have yet to find a solid place to put it. Anyhow, instead of calling Avid (which I'm sure they could have helped me as they have already replaced my Carb Heater to a better fit (THANKS GUYS!) I decided to attack this project with friends. All we needed to do was plug the current fitting and make a new fitting for the opposite side. Here's what we came up with! I also finished my handguard mount as well as flipped the Cyclops headlight under the new bracket. Ski is mounted and snow is falling! Next I will tackle mounting this thermostat as well as fusing my carb heater onto the Lectron and finishing the air intake setup.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Progress

Today was intake day. The stock intake setup that comes with the TSS timbersled kit is a generic kit that requires modification. Most of the parts like the air intake sensor piece I just don't need. The kit has 2in silicone plumbing (carb side) to 3" Timbersled Filter side. Provided plumbing is the 2" to 2" and 3" - 3" with the connector for the sensor. The carb heater outlet was 2.5" so I ordered up some more HPS goodness (45 degree Elbow Reducer Coupler Hose 4" Leg Length on each side, 2-1/2" > 3" ID) cut it down and here is my first attempt so additional modifications will be required

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I am still working on a bracket to hold my thermostat but this seems to be a solid location. I am just working on getting the piping right

picture.php

Next is the brake system. I wanted to be able to have the use of both my front and rear brake lever. So I dropped an email over to Larry at (9milemachine@usa.com)and he hooked me up with this nice little piece that allows me to utilize both. Installing soon.

picture.php

I have been waiting for Timbersled to ship both my Ramp (ALL SPORT RAMP PRO) and Fuel Can and strap. All three of which seem to be on a backorder that no one told me about. It's been about 2 months now and no word from the dealership,timbersled, or polaris haha I called them all! I hate to bitch about stuff but I don't like paying for a product that I don't have! Needless to say I am a bit frustrated and I believe for my next build I will go with another company! There seems to be a lot of great companies coming out with innovate products that will be nice for future builds! Timbersled has lost me as a customer. For now the tunnel goodies will have to wait to be installed.

picture.php

I digress the build is still going well and snow is in the forecast. I look forward to putting this machine through its paces!

picture.php

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
I could use some help!

Good Evening Guys! I could use some help...

I am working on Gearing right now for this bike and just getting into the 2016 chain tensioner SX with TSS problem. I did not realize this was an issue until I went to put the chain on provided with the kit.
My kit came with the JT 520 X1R2 which I have herd had some breaking and rubbing issues on the frame. I am searching for the answer to the tensioner problem (I know it's out there somewhere) and what folks suggest for a chain instead of the JT... Does the 2017 XK chain solve this issue?

Next questions refer to the gearing. The bike came with 13 tooth primary front sprocket and the SX kit came with a 16 tooth sprocket. I have yet to read anyone running that combination and just wondering what my best move forward is for the whole setup. Not much trail ridding here mostly in the hills!

Thanks for any help yall can provide. This timbersled is a disaster I wish I had bought anything but this product!!

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Good Evening Guys! I could use some help...

I am working on Gearing right now for this bike and just getting into the 2016 chain tensioner SX with TSS problem. I did not realize this was an issue until I went to put the chain on provided with the kit.

My kit came with the JT 520 X1R2 which I have herd had some breaking and rubbing issues on the frame. I am searching for the answer to the tensioner problem (I know it's out there somewhere) and what folks suggest for a chain instead of the JT... Does the 2017 XK chain solve this issue?

Next questions refer to the gearing. The bike came with 13 tooth primary front sprocket and the SX kit came with a 16 tooth sprocket. I have yet to read anyone running that combination and just wondering what my best move forward is for the whole setup. Not much trail ridding here mostly in the hills!

Thanks for any help yall can provide. This timbersled is a disaster I wish I had bought anything but this product!!

Chain tensioner problem can be resolved with a clutch spring or just small spring from hardware store. Put it between the tensioner bolt and the chain adjuster. This worked great for me.

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Thanks!

Chain tensioner problem can be resolved with a clutch spring or just small spring from hardware store. Put it between the tensioner bolt and the chain adjuster. This worked great for me.

Thanks for the reply! Hate to ask this of you but have you seen a picture of this setup floating around? Ive tried to contact Timbersled about it and have received no reply yet!

Edit- Just found it here thanks!

attachment.php

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004

Hardware store, that pretty much sums up TS, just sayin LOL

M5

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Thanks fot the great detailed pictures and post. lots of good specific info and it looks great.

Thanks! Always some ups and downs in a build but she's coming together! Currently, I am at about 90% built I just have some odds and ends to finish up but all in all it's been a fun ride already!

Here is a video of me firing her up!
https://youtu.be/v4rLDjKqmTQ

Last edited:

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Thanks! Always some ups and downs in a build but she's coming together! Currently, I am at about 90% built I just have some odds and ends to finish up but all in all it's been a fun ride already!

Here is a video of me firing her up!
https://youtu.be/v4rLDjKqmTQ

I noticed you are not running the carb jacket. Are you planning on it?

M

Mr. Gimmie

Oct 1, 2014
Looks like fun. I too am having issues with pulling the trigger on Avid's carb heater due to clearance issues on my CR500. Thanks for mentioning they can/will make another design. I'll call them in the morning!

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
We all make mistakes!

I have been pretty quiet for a while due to me making a mistake. We all make them right! This is my first build and I knew it was bound to happen. We have been having one hell of a snow year here in Jackson and luckily I have been able to ride all the 2017 sleds this year while I saved my pennies to fix my KX!

picture.php

picture.php

Turns out I cold seized the piston due to an improper break-in and a misunderstanding on how thermostats work! I had also had a constant coolant leak near the head. I tried heli-coiling the head studs due to torque issues Anyways, the big bore was raising hell. I sent the jug to Millennium Technologies to get re-nikasiled and ordered another piston from Wossner for the big bore.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Turns out the Jug needed a lot more work then just re-nikasil. It needed welding and to make the piston I bought work it really needed to be resleeved. Once again I am no mechanic and I am still learning a lot of internals and how they operate! By this time I was low on funds and frustrated. So what do you do when that happens? Buy more parts.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I went full OEM Kawasaki new top end. New Stock Jug, Piston, the works. I am now in the process of putting the motor back together. When I save some more pennies I am going to get the other jug resleeved for the big bore but for now I'm putting that project to the side.

Hopefully I will have the bike up and running by this coming friday. We can all hope right!

Last edited:

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Cool build, and awesome pics. What size of pelican case is that on the tunnel?

M
Mar 29, 2008
Make sure after you bolt the jug on you check how high the piston comes up. They seam to all b different might be detonation not cold seize. I'd bet a $1000 it wasn't from cold seize. Look to see if the bottom of the piston has a black spot under the wrist pin

A
Oct 4, 2016
Lewiston ID
really a sweet build... I wish the manufacturers had some modern 2 stroke engines applicable for snowbike use.... like 90 degree two stroke twin 500cc...That would be a screamer!

hwwee

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2016
Pelican

Cool build, and awesome pics. What size of pelican case is that on the tunnel?

Pelican case is the 1150 Camera Case with Foam. Its smaller in size for some spare parts and tools. The SX tunnel is skinnier than the LT (10 vs 12) so it does not have the same amount of room!

Premium Features