• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 KTM 300XC or 2010 Husaberg FE570

Z
Nov 18, 2012
Hi,

I have a few questions.

I own a 2008 KTM 300XC and a 2010 Husaberg FE570. I am purchasing a slightly used 2014 Timbersled LT. I am a little unsure of which bike I will enjoy more. I am looking for advice and experiences from veteran snowbikers.

I live and ride in Central WA, and if the snow year is good I can easily put in about 50+ days. My GF is an avid snowmobiler, and I hope to convert her over this year. Until then I may be forced to endure some trail days on the groomers to hang with her.

Overall if you had those two bikes to work with, which would would you prefer to ride on a day to day basis. What is the advantage of the 4 stroke bigger bike over the 2 stroke delivery? Maintenance on the snow? Etc. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Also for the fit kit, I have read somewhere that the TSS is somewhat of an engineering feat to mount on the Husaberg. Is it similar with the KTM 300 or much easier?

ZDFG

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I ride a 300 in the dirt and love it ,,not Shure I would like revving it in the snow, I also had a 570 for 2 seasons, diesel tractor that can rev, but very tall center of gravity, I kept tipping over!!!! if your 6 ft or taller probably not an issue,,, now have a KX and XC and for my vertically challenged legs the lower CG is better, My KX out runs my xc anywhere but I do wish I had the E button but I'm used to starting the KX!I am installing a 16 LT with TSS on the KX now and am looking forward to the LT on the deep dry days! two of my riding buddy's are on 570s and on a fire road they drive away from me!!!

Z
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the newer TS's with the 4" lower height would have alleviated some of those issues with the FE570 being so high up?

W
Mar 13, 2013
Kirkland
First season I ran TS kit briefly on KTM 300, realized I'd burn it up quickly so went with Berg 570. It was a better overall snowbike. But then I went with 450SX which is even better for multiple reasons. But for the two options you mention, do the berg.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
Why did you think you were going to burn up your 300? Everyone I know running 300s are going 100-150hrs on pistons without a problem. As long as your fueling is correct it's really hard to burn up a 2 stroke, two strokes are made to run high rpm for long periods of time...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Why did you think you were going to burn up your 300? Everyone I know running 300s are going 100-150hrs on pistons without a problem. As long as your fueling is correct it's really hard to burn up a 2 stroke, two strokes are made to run high rpm for long periods of time...

Yep 300s are bulletproof.. The issue with a 2 stroke for me... And I run one... Is there is a lot more to do to have it run right throughout the day.... But once set up you can rape the thing without dirt all these engines seem to last forever....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
There is more thinking to get them set up for sure, I spent a lot of time tuning last year but that was on a full mod one and the smart carb takes some patience, my other one is a stocker and is much easier to get set up. I replaced pistons in mine at 100hrs on snow and 130-150 on dirt and at the same time I service the starters, clean everything and go through the clutches, they are super reliable motors IF you have your fueling down. The bike with a recluse went through the rubber clutch bumpers at 130hrs, the mod bike with no recluse has about 250hrs with stock clutch parts, starters need bushings about every 130hrs but that's cheap. That's about it, they beauty of the 2 stokes is how cheap they are to keep fresh motors! My 450 xc needed $1600 in the top end at 150hrs, I don't miss 4 strokes... haha

Z
Nov 18, 2012
After talking with the guys at my local moto dealer I decided to go with the Berg, and a leftover 2015 ST kit instead of the 2014 LT. Now I just need to get my a$$ out of Asscrackistan and back home to get it set up.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I used to ride a berg.. the 70deg bikes are too top heavy IMO. great on power though. I would go with the 300, it is not going to wear you out as much and be more fun to ride. If you have ever taken the top end of a 70deg off you will never want to do it again...

Z
Nov 18, 2012
Hey Chris - I'm 240 and feel comfortable on bigger machines. I had a FE390 previously as a trail bike, and I hated working on it, so I agree on the maintenance part. I usually work on all my own bikes, but that one, I'd pay someone else to do a top end on the Husaberg. :face-icon-small-ton

I figure I'll start out on the FE570, and if I don't feel like it's working, I can just get a new fit kit and switch everything over to the 300.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the newer TS's with the 4" lower height would have alleviated some of those issues with the FE570 being so high up?

no,,,,,,,,, you cant fix short!!:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features